Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my Eclipse, member's on the Eclipse forum compared some "ebay" intakes with known name brand intakes and found that they were almost identical in diameter and bends, but was half the cost. I'm sure they are made of cheaper quality but in most cases it wasn't enough to justify the extra cost of the name brand ones. Thats why I was comparing the cheap intake with intakes like Injen. Because if there is a "clone" intake out there then the CPE fix should work as if it was a true Injen intake.

On ebay is the BOMZ intake ($67.99 including shipping) a rip off of Injen's CAI? If someone has this intake can you take some measurements of it for us and we can compare it with the injen cai. Thanks!
BOMZ Cold Air Intake

Injen Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would NEVER buy a clone intake off ebay again!! I bought one last year for my 94 mustang GT and the fit wasnt good...the intake rubbed against the alternator housing and the inside of the intake was covered with some sort of brake dust!!! Fixed all the problems and the top of the air filter litterally fell off!! Since it was located to the front fender I didnt notice it till I try to clean the filter and saw the top chrome piece missing!! Ive been sucking dust and dirt in the industrial park where I worked for god knows how long!!!
:biggun: ebay intakes!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
You'll get a Check Engine Light. Guaranteed.
[/b]
how is that guaranteed? if its a clone pipe, (nevermind the filter you can replace them with a number of quality ones) the odds are the same as an AEM or Injen of throwing a CEL. I had an ebay CAI on my old accord had no problems and they are thought of as the same in functionality on the (cb7tuner) accord community boards. I had no problem with mine on my accord and it ran me 1/4 the price of the AEM. Threw on a K&N cone filter and was good to go. Now I DO know that our MAF is much more sensitive, but a bent pipe is a bent pipe IMO.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
how is that guaranteed? if its a clone pipe, (nevermind the filter you can replace them with a number of quality ones) the odds are the same as an AEM or Injen of throwing a CEL. I had an ebay CAI on my old accord had no problems and they are thought of as the same in functionality on the (cb7tuner) accord community boards. I had no problem with mine on my accord and it ran me 1/4 the price of the AEM. Threw on a K&N cone filter and was good to go. Now I DO know that our MAF is much more sensitive, but a bent pipe is a bent pipe IMO.
[/b]
It's guaranteed because the Injen and AEM are also guaranteed to throw a CEL.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but a bent pipe is a bent pipe IMO.
[/b]
+1

My point for this post was if there are "clone" intakes floating around on ebay that are exactly the same as an Injen intake, then technically the cpe fix will work for the intake and it will be a lot cheaper than both the Injen+ cpe fix or cpe intake for a lot less. My question was has anyone compared an ebay intake (like Bomz) with the Injen to see if the piping are identical. I'm just trying to see if there are some clones, because if I can get an identical CAI for $70 thats the same as a $230 Injen I don't see whats so bad about that. It could be like Mazdaspeed and AEM are the same, just paying for different names. My point is you could buy ....

Injen ($230) + CPE Fix ($250)= $480

--or --

CPE MAFci System for $539

--or--

Ebay clone of Injen ($70) + CPE Fix ($250)= $320

First we need to find out if there are some "clones" of the Injen intake and then post which brands they are. I had heard the Bomz intake was a clone but don't know if that is true. If it is true then we can have identical performance for $160 cheaper than the Injen/CPE fix or similar performance for $219 than the CPE MAFci System. That's money that can go toward other mods. Just a thought.

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you call b.s., that's fine, but please let us know why, don't just say it's bull without letting us know why.
[/b]
seriously!
and did you see this guys myspace!? sheesh. who cares what he thinks! :laugh:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, Im getting a Bomz intake here soon, ordered it from ebay yesterday. And since I live in Japan it will probably take about 2 weeks to get here. But I will let everyone know how it works out. If it doesnt, no big deal cuz I gots it cheap ;-)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yea dude ebay clones or whatever they are...I wouldnt get....the only thing I would buy off ebay is if it no bs says INJEN BRAND INTAKE FS or K&N INTAKE FS!! That's it, that bombz stuff wont be good at all I think. If your trying to save some money man, you pretty much bought the wrong car....our car is "special." Not many companies offer a whole lot of parts for our car like a honda....look at spending some money on buying parts worth it....just wait awhile to save up, make a good investment!! If you want a NO CEL...your best bet is the CP-E or a Mazdaspeed CAI....I got the MS just so warranty is still in effect since my car has high miles and it has no CEL. I think you should stay away from that Bombz stuff though, if you do decide to, let us know how it all works out...just my opinion but its all up to you......

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are absolutely stupid if your going to buy a clone intake off ebay. There is a reason that CP-E intakes cost so much. For one they are the only intake that doesnt set a cel light, besides the mazdaspeed. Also no clone intake is going to give you HP gains like a CP-E intake. Why be cheap when putting money into your car, when you do that i hope you realize performance wont be the same. You might as well go and buy a gay ass wing and fart can from ebay while your at it, typical ricer.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's guaranteed because the Injen and AEM are also guaranteed to throw a CEL.
[/b]
No they are not.. Injen might.. but AEM hasnt thrown a CEL on me.. neither the SRI or the CAI. been about 20k miles between the two of them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My point is you could buy ....

Injen ($230) + CPE Fix ($250)= $480

--or --

CPE MAFci System for $539

--or--

Ebay clone of Injen ($70) + CPE Fix ($250)= $320

[/b]

I have been doing alot of reading on the CAI out there and after reading some of them comparing to Airbox mod I got the feeling as if the airflow between the an CAI and Airbox mod is about the same, maybe less, but not 500 dollars less. But what i thought that made the big difference is the MAFci that was with the CAI as this is what really caused the increase in HP and TQ along the power curve...

My question is, is this CPE Fix he is talking about the same thing that the CPE MAFci is equipped with, cause if not I do not see how a bomz + CPE fix is the same???

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, I'm a member of a lot of different car forums and this forum has the strange thinking that if it doesn't have INJEN printed on the intake then its crap. A bent pipe is a bent pipe. All I was saying that perhaps there are some intakes that are identical to Injen (size/diameter/bends) and thus it would be 100% compatible with the CPE fix, allowing for identical performance as Injen with the CPE fix. This thread has become full of a lot of misinformation.

1. There are only 2 (TWO) cold air intakes for the 3.0 that is not suppose to throw cels. Those 2 are CPE and Injen w/CPE fix.

2. Injen by itself will throw a cel, as well as AEM, Mazdaspeed, K&N, and any other brand that might be out there. The MAF customizer is the only reason the CPE and Injen w/CPE fix don't throw cels (because it tunes the A/F ratio for the cai). The only other thing available for the 3.0 (at this time) that can tune A/F ratios is the Unichip. So unless you have Unichip or the CPE MAF customizer you have a chance of throwing a cel. So for everyone saying that Mazdaspeed won't throw a cel it will. Its just a matter of time. The Mazdaspeed and AEM are the same and there has been reports of people throwing cels with AEM.

My question is, is this CPE Fix he is talking about the same thing that the CPE MAFci is equipped with, cause if not I do not see how a bomz + CPE fix is the same???
[/b]
Here's some info on the Injen with the CPE fix.
http://www.cp-e.com/2006.html

Here's some info on the CPE MAFci System
http://www.cp-e.com/2001.html

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you have the airbox mod that increases airflow, could you put the MAFci customizer onto your car? And since people have compared the airbox mod to an AEM intake or Injen wouldnt it do the same job but minus the cost of the CAI???

Also is this thing plug n play...or is there tuning involved in it. I know the CPE MAFci has a base map built in for A/F ratios and what not, is this the same way??

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
technically if you had the tunable version and knew what you were doing you could use it with the airbox mod. someone correct me if i'm wrong. its not plug n play, you would have to tune it yourself and installing it requires splicing into the wires on your ecu.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Technically, you can install the CPE Tunable unit or the injen fix with the stock airbox COMPLETELY intact. THe mazda6 runs VERY rich from the factory, and the CPE black box will help lean that out.

That said, as long as the welds on the bomz pipe are good (where the mounting bracket is and where the vacume line attaches), then I would say that there shouldn't be a problem. I personally would get a better filter than the pieces of crap that come with them, but the pipe itself should be fine.

And yes, to clear up ANY and ALL questions, the Injen fix will work with the AEM, Mazdaspeed, or any other intake just fine. And also, the tuneable CPE will work with any of the aforementioned intakes as well, but you will have to get a dyno tune on it. I ran a tuneable CPE with an injen pipe for a while (and Mazda_gremlyn still does)

·
Registered
470 Posts
... And also, the tuneable CPE will work with any of the aforementioned intakes as well, but you will have to get a dyno tune on it. I ran a tuneable CPE with an injen pipe for a while (and Mazda_gremlyn still does)
[/b]

What do you mean you must get a dyno tune on it??? You cannot just add on the CPE customizer? I thought it came "pre-wired" for the most common uses?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
16 Participants
dabears2k
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing