Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is selling http://www.easycare.com/ extended warranties on new cars. I know these are a high-margin item, so I'd like to get a list of the wholesale prices so I can negotiate fairly. Unfortunately, Easy Care only sells through dealers, so I can't find any published pricing.

Anyone out there have access to those prices?

Or are there any dealers selling these online at a good discount who will send prices?

The only comparable third-party warranty I have been able to find is http://www.warrantydirect.com/ . Here are their prices for new cars, $0 deductible, "bumper-to-bumper" warranties:
SecureCare Plus True bumper to bumper protection
4 Years / 75000 Miles $1,262
4 Years / 100000 Miles $1,460
5 Years / 60000 Miles $1,092
5 Years / 75000 Miles $1,306
5 Years / 85000 Miles $1,415
5 Years / 100000 Miles $1,485
6 Years / 75000 Miles $1,361
6 Years / 100000 Miles $1,540
7 Years / 60000 Miles $1,198
7 Years / 75000 Miles $1,408
7 Years / 85000 Miles $1,531
7 Years / 100000 Miles $1,641

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
www.AuthorizedFordWarranties.com

6 year/100k bumper to bumper, roadside assistance, $100 deductible per visit.

Little under $900 for a 6i. And 0% financing for 12 months. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has anyone had to have work done through EasyCare? Do they take care of you like they should? Do they nitpick (ex. tear down engine to come up with a reason why the issue is your fault)?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Extended Warranties are Scams....becareful, and READ EVERYTHING....

It may say bumper to bumper, but no powertrain warranty, and the Powertrain Warranty is what is Most important.

·
Registered
21 Posts

It may say bumper to bumper, but no powertrain warranty, and the Powertrain Warranty is what is Most important.
[/b]
3rd party extended warranties usually aren't worth the paper they are printed on, but an actual factory extended warranty can be pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
3rd party extended warranties usually aren't worth the paper they are printed on, but an actual factory extended warranty can be pretty good.
[/b]

I have easycare for an extended warranty on my 02 SS. Thank god! The only service they have denied so far was a repair that cost less than my deductible. But they still covered the cost of my rental for the day my car was in the shop. The first repair was to replace all the seal and one axle on my rear. You have the choice to take your car to any shop of your choice. Basically they have been good to me and I would say that the amount of work I have had done it has payed for itself.

B

·
0 Posts
www.AuthorizedFordWarranties.com

6 year/100k bumper to bumper, roadside assistance, $100 deductible per visit.

Little under $900 for a 6i. And 0% financing for 12 months. ;)[/b]

Is it worth it to pay a $100 everything you bring your car in for work under warranty? It just seems to me that these warranty companies are making money off of warranty purchases and then $100 each time you bring your car in for work. I know that sometimes the work needed in case it's something like tranny or engine work pays off, but it just seems like their scrapping for every penny. Correct me if I'm wrong or am i seeing the wrong picture?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Is it worth it to pay a $100 everything you bring your car in for work under warranty? It just seems to me that these warranty companies are making money off of warranty purchases and then $100 each time you bring your car in for work. I know that sometimes the work needed in case it's something like tranny or engine work pays off, but it just seems like their scrapping for every penny. Correct me if I'm wrong or am i seeing the wrong picture?[/b]

extended warranties are an insurance policy basically, you may never need them at all but if you do they're usually a lot less expensive to have purchased than having to pay for the repair out of your own pocket.

you're not going to come out ahead if you only have a few small low-dollar repair issues, no. but loose an engine or transmission or have a major electronic or computer system go down on you and you'll be glad you still have a warranty.
A friend had a Lincoln MkVII that had a broken driver's power seat. They wanted $1200 to fix it, so even a small seemingly inexpensive repair can be an expensive trip if its some part that costs a fortune or something that takes hours of labor to diagnose and repair.

·
Registered
118 Posts

It may say bumper to bumper, but no powertrain warranty, and the Powertrain Warranty is what is Most important.[/b]

Most all of them include the powertrain - that's why most people buy them in the first place.

They're nothing but an insurance policy against something major going wrong with your vehicle. I bought one for my '97 Explorer when I bought it since it had 75000 miles on it. Cost was $1200 and it paid for itself during the three years I had the truck. I had three repairs in the $500 to 600 range and minus my $100 deductible, that came out to around $1500 so it was worth it in this case.

I've thought about getting one for my 6 because its a first year model (I've got an 03) and because of the tranny issues the car has (not mine but the 6 in general). But even a full transmission rebuilt isn't much more than a grand. Its a tough call, I've got 8,000 miles to decide if I want to buy one for mine before the factory warranty is up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I payed $1495 for mine, 7 yrs/75k miles, and it has more than payed for itself by now. Since the factory warranty expired I've had 4 ignition coils, both Pre-Cats and Cats, and now the entire engine replaced.

Getting an extended warranty is always a gamble, but if things do go wrong you'll def be glad you got it.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Getting an extended warranty is always a gamble, but if things do go wrong you'll def be glad you got it.[/b]
+1. Mine is for 6 years/100k with $100 deductible and it was under $900. It also includes Roadside Assistance until 100k, which is definitely worth the peace of mind right there. Factoring in that AAA charges almost $100 a year for membership, I am getting the warranty itself for about $300 total cost for the term which isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1. Mine is for 6 years/100k with $100 deductible and it was under $900. It also includes Roadside Assistance until 100k, which is definitely worth the peace of mind right there. Factoring in that AAA charges almost $100 a year for membership, I am getting the warranty itself for about $300 total cost for the term which isn't bad at all.[/b]
That sounds like a good price. Which warranty company is that and where and when did you buy it?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts