Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i shut off the ABS by pulling the relay. that fixed the ABS and improved snow driving, but didnt kill the traction control. is there a similarly easy way to break/kill the traction control? if not, how should i do it, cut the wires at the front wheel sensors? i'd like to get that disabled ASAP so i can pull the cluster and murder out the related idiot lights.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i shut off the ABS by pulling the relay. that fixed the ABS and improved snow driving, but didnt kill the traction control. is there a similarly easy way to break/kill the traction control? if not, how should i do it, cut the wires at the front wheel sensors? i'd like to get that disabled ASAP so i can pull the cluster and murder out the related idiot lights.

Do you not just have a button to disable the tcs? Or are you just looking for a more permanent way so you don’t have to use the button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
1. Why not just unplug things instead of cutting wires? You are asking for electrical issues just cutting wires.

2. I'd be real careful not to actually damage the cluster or you may put it into theft mode.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you not just have a button to disable the tcs? Or are you just looking for a more permanent way so you don’t have to use the button?
i just want it off all the time and no yellow light illuminated on the cluster. i already have these two on since i pulled the ABS fuse. i don't want it to look broken. IMO it's fixed

1. Why not just unplug things instead of cutting wires? You are asking for electrical issues just cutting wires.

2. I'd be real careful not to actually damage the cluster or you may put it into theft mode.
1. just the way i talk. unplug. :)
curiously, is it possible i already disabled it by pulling the ABS fuse?
or if i unplug the part i circled in red, do you think that would do it? i'd rather unhook something easy to reach vs multiple things tucked in the wheel wells

2. pulling the cluster and reinstalling it is not an issue and won't aggravate the theft system, right? you're just saying be careful while i'm in there?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I completely understand not wanting to look broken I love my CAI but I hate the CEL it causes. As for unplugging the sensors theoretically it should work, tcs systems need to know the individual wheel speed to work so without it your tcs should be disabled. The only thing is it might mess with your speedometer I would just unplug them, go for a drive and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Second start the CEL was on so no go just unplugging the connector.

I said I wasnt going to cut any wires...I clipped the red/wht wire at the connector and put heat shrink on both ends. It seemed less destructive than opening the brittle connector and unpinning it, and so damn easy. The result is no more TCS. it spins the tires. There is no check engine light.

Now I have a bunch of lights to shut off, which was expected. I'm going to look at the wiring to see if I can leave the cluster alone and shut them off with wires. @b1lk1 has me a little nervous about f'ing with the cluster. EDIT: studied a wiring diagram for the cluster, there's no wires for the idiot lights like the stone age cars i'm used to

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i assume i must be nuts, but hear me out..
my car feels quicker now. does that make any sense? like if i stab the throttle, it floors it instantly. it feels like it floors it faster.
like before if i stomped the gas it was lazily rolling on the throttle gently, now it just does what my foot does. it's pretty noticeable and i don't think i'm nuts, because usually with a placebo effect your mind is expecting it. i wasn't expecting anything except the TCS to be off, which it is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check it out. i thought back to the joke "the easiest way to turn off the check engine light is with electrical tape". i'm scared of the antitheft system. i'm scared of (removing) needles. the K.I.S.S. method just seemed like the best option. i cut little squares of black vinyl and blacked out the idiot lights from the back side.

in addition to blacking out a few icons i made "CRUISE MAIN" into "R" and "CRUISE" into a green "R" because i like using cruise control but wasn't a fan of the added lights at night. i like R's for obvious reasons. i also made the brights indicator just blue dashes, no dot. see here:

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's funny, I was actually going to suggest using black tape, in the 80's pretty much every car I owned had black tape over the check engine light, lol.

Glad you got what you needed with no bad results. I know my car will spin the tires from 5K rpm to redline in 1st and 2nd if I turn off the TCS so it may be a touch quicker because there is nothing stopping that little bit of wheel spin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i assume i must be nuts, but hear me out..
my car feels quicker now. does that make any sense? like if i stab the throttle, it floors it instantly. it feels like it floors it faster.
like before if i stomped the gas it was lazily rolling on the throttle gently, now it just does what my foot does. it's pretty noticeable and i don't think i'm nuts, because usually with a placebo effect your mind is expecting it. i wasn't expecting anything except the TCS to be off, which it is.
My Speed certainly accelerates faster with dsc off. I usually turn it off around town unless it's raining or I'm about to jump on the highway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's funny, I was actually going to suggest using black tape, in the 80's pretty much every car I owned had black tape over the check engine light, lol.

Glad you got what you needed with no bad results. I know my car will spin the tires from 5K rpm to redline in 1st and 2nd if I turn off the TCS so it may be a touch quicker because there is nothing stopping that little bit of wheel spin.

Cruise control no longer activates. apparently the one wire i clipped will need to be run to a switch. i hate adding wiring to cars. i will repair the wire i clipped under hood and see if a rear wheel sensor does the same thing. if it does i'll tie into the wire for the rear wheel sensor instead. i'd ASSume it runs right past the driver kick panel so at least i'd only be adding a short piece of wire instead of all the way to the front passenger corner of the engine bay and back.

other than cruise everything's great. i was out sliding around in the snow until 2am laughing until my cheeks hurt. not like a maniac, just fun and slow...and sideways

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
RobertD
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing