Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the Stock front speakers (standard 4 speaker non Bose car!) with a pair of Nakamichi 5X7 and sure every thing from mid bass up improved and there is now much less strain at higher volumes, BUT I lost all the lower bass! As it seems that its Amps are equalized to the response Curve of the stock speakers
Now I wish that Mazda had offered the Bose option on any trim of the 6 but it didn't (In my Country) so my only option is to work up the standard system:(
Any way... all I want here is to add some bass to fill in the gap the I now have, nothing serious or super loud. The thing here is I’d like to do it in the safest way with the 6 interior:?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: Easiest way to Add Bass to a sedan 6 ?

Easiest way to do that is with something in the trunk. To achieve effective bass, you need to move a lot of air, and no small speakers are going to do that for you. I would recommend getting a single 10" or 12" Dual Voice Coil sub and pushing it with a high performance mono-bridgeable 500 watt or better amp. You will probably be amazed at the difference. I'd get something from the Orion Pro Series, decent prices, lifetime warranty, and great sound.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Eh, Orion isn't what it once was, and 500w would overpower a stock system anyways. Also, I'm not sure Orion is available in Kuwait.

I'd recommend an Infinity Basslink, as it's small, integrates nicely into the stock system, and it's pretty cheap, at $225 USD.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Oh, and Orion does NOT have a lifetime warranty. I believe it's 2 years if installed by an authorised dealer, and 90 days if you do the work yourself. And if you happen to buy it from an unauthorised dealer, or eBay, you get NO warranty.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I stand corrected on the warranty. And I agree Orion is not top of the line, however it is well above the economy class of speakers, but at below avg prices. The 500 Watt amp monobridged would provide a single channel to power the sub only...not the factory system. To each his own when it comes to quality opinions, it's been said the midstream versions of most manufacturers are usually about equal, and the only real difference is purely in the listeners ear.
I have had my dual Orion 12" setup for 3yrs now, and have never had a single problem, still sounds great, and gets plenty of compliments. So, although it's not quite as mainstream as RF, or Pioneer, I still put my two cents worth wherever possible.
Availability in Kuwait is not as difficult as it seems, if you don't mind ordering off the internet, several audio suppliers will ship overseas.
Integration into the stock system would involve hooking the amp inline with the rear mids, using the high resistance input for the amp. Of course all this may be overkill, and will definitely run more than $225USD, so it's all about what you want to spend.

·
Registered
657 Posts

See, the thing is, Orion is pretty much overpriced these days, as the quality HAS gone downhill. Severely, I might add. Now that Directed has purchased them, I expect the lines to be built better, but that's at least a year off.

And no, I knew what you meant about the 500w for the sub, no the whole system. But 500w on the sub will overpower the stock system to the point where you can't hear the mids & highs. You have to realise that the stock system is putting out MAYBE 15w RMS per channel (and I doubt it's even a third of that) and when you have 15w on each front channel, and 500w to the sub, you're only going to hear bass. Usually the "ideal" match is adding up the RMS wattage of the 4 main channels, and getting a sub amp with about 3-4 times that power.

And as for that Orion XTRPro amp, that's $500 for [email protected]/[email protected] That's BEYOND overpriced. A Clarion1002 class T amp built buy ubuy in Asia ( who also makes ARC amps) will put out [email protected] for $300, a US Acoustics 1000D will put out [email protected] (about [email protected]) for $380, ect ect. These are quality amps too, and to be honest, I'd trust them a lot more than what Orion puts out these days. Orion was once a GREAT company, and I LOVED the amps I've used by them, but they're in a funk right now. I have no doubts that Directed will set things straight, but it's going to take time to gut the company.

·
Registered
464 Posts

I'd get a 12" sub w/ around 300-600 watt RMS high quality amp, get a sub that uses small airspace <= 1cu ft. or so. Have a box custom built to fit the trunk area so it looks like nothing is there and so you have access to all the trunk panels.

If you do it right will look like nothing has even changed :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks guys
I thought about placing a sub inside the trunk! But was warned by many that the bass would become muffled when placed inside the trunk of a sedan, since i really care more about acurate sound than sheer SPL and Here in Kuwait people who Buy and install car subs are probaly doing it so that they can shake the car nearby!!! so i dont think it's safe to take thier advice on that!

So my actual question here is: How does placing a sub inside the trunk of sedan affect the tranmisson of bass inside the car?

·
Registered
657 Posts

MZ, it won't be muffled by any significant amount. You still have a port through the rear deck where the Bose sub would be, and through the seatbacks, which would let the bass in nicely. Don't let that stop oyu.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I assume times have definitely changed, 3yrs ago I purchased my Orion amp for under $300, and the subs were $120 apiece. My current system has been so reliable I haven't kept up with the changing prices/quality, if I were to hit the market again, I'd have to redo my homework.
I have always leaned more towards SPL so I really didn't mind hearing mostly bass. When I wanted SQ I hit the preprogrammed setting on the HU and it automatically adjusted the bandpass freqs. changed to a high pass output, and shifted to the mids and highs. Of course the stock system in the 6 can't do this, however, it's still possible to manually tweak the amp to a lower output, and fade to the front when necessary. Some improved SQ will be obtained while minimizing the bass. Any decent amp has a low pass setting which you can use to pull some SQ out of an SPL setup by adjusting the bass and treble outputs on the HU when necessary.

·
Registered
791 Posts

All this talk! Sheesh, if you're just looking to add bass, I'd get yourself a tiny amplified subwoofer. Some used Bazookas go for $35 on eBay. There's no need to go with 500+ watts unless you need it to pound, particularly when your cabin speakers are still powered by the head unit. I'd recommend Infinity's Basslink- it's pretty small. Another route would be to cut into the rear baffle of the car, where the Bose subwoofer would normally go. You could easily get away with an 8" subwoofer and 100watts- nevermind all the recommendations for a 12" sub. Again, this will be adequate, if not excessive, unless you feel the need to add amps to all your other internals speakers too.

Of more importance:

The factory stereo is pre-eq'd for the factory speakers?

That sucks! How do you know? Does it really sound that... weird? The stereo has a three-band eq, don't forget, and comes from the factory at +4, +4, and +6 for bass, mid, and treble. It sounds awful at zeros, and I was hoping that was the only pre-eq there was. I'd really like for you to elaborate on this, if you could.

Man, will I be pissed if I throw some Infinities in there and it sounds worse. Then again, the Nakamichi's are 88db efficient and only extend to 75hz, if I'm correct, and I'm hoping to put speakers in that are 91db+ efficient and extend below 50hz.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Thank you Stretch, another voice of reason.

I mean, the guy even said he didn't want nor need it to pound, just a touch of bass. Boom, that's the Basslink. Simple, cheap, AND most importantly, available in Kuwait.

·
Registered
464 Posts

although if hes concerned with SQ like he said he will want something more refined and high end...not necessarily high power though

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Easiest way to Add Bass to a sedan 6 ?'

Originally posted by MZR23

Any way... all I want here is to add some bass to fill in the gap the I now have, nothing serious or super loud. The thing here is I’d like to do it in the safest way with the 6 interior:?[/b]
This tells me he doesn't want to spend loads of money, isn't really concerned with SPL OR super high fidelity SQ, or anything else besides the easiest upgrade possible. Besides, if SQ is your goal, you wouldn't have speakers running off the factory amp. In an SQ install, the sub is the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
231 Posts

That basslink sounds like a great product. Maybe will get it myself.

How do you install it?

·
Registered
657 Posts

Run power wire from the battery to the trunk, secure the basslink, and tap the rear speaker's wire into the basslink. Boom, you're done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Stretchsje;
You are more closer to what’s in my mind, I’m looking to have upgrade the stock to get better dynamics and extension, as basically I’m looking to get the most accurate sound at a listening volume of 90-95 dB or so, as for a budget I figure $500-1000! and while I’m sure that there are many ways to do that I’d like to go for a one that is least complicated and doesn’t require much alteration to the 6’s interior!

As for replacing the stock with the Nackamichi’s It’s more like when you have a Sub/Sat system at your home, you decide to replace your sat’s with better ones but you forget to hook up your Sub again! It’s that much of deference!!!
Also on the nakamichi’s 75Hz rated response you might be on to something here, but It’s really hard to imagine that they could be that much inferior considering how much more substantial they look!!?

AND most importantly, available in Kuwait.[/b]

Yeah, you wish...:)

Any Way I think it might be available in the UAE and I’m supposed to go there soon so I might look for it, as I think that a pair of JBL's 5x7 with their 92 dB sensitivity and a bass link might just do it for me!

BUT I’d like to be really sure that the trunk placement is not gona affect the Quality of the bass, and all I have to do is cut into where the bose sub is supposed to be and cover it with a grille. Has any you guys had actual experience with any thing similar?

Thanks again everone
:)

·
Registered
791 Posts

I simply think the Nak's weren't designed for bass. No matter how big or powerful a speaker looks, it still comes down to what it was designed for. Perhaps the Nak's were designed to be satellite speakers, which would explain your sound.

Cause, I mean, c'mon... do you really think the factory speakers were putting out too much bass, so they used an eq to cut it out?

JBL's would probably do the trick. Alpine taunts their speakers' bass compabilities, but I've never heard them. MA Audio and Audiobahn make very efficient (93db+ 1w/1m)loudspeakers, but I don't trust their factory rated extentions to ~35hz. Both Audiobahn and JBL (P-series) make speakers with detatchable tweeters so they can be used as components.

As for me, I just bought the only efficient 6x8 component system I've ever seen- Kenwood's. My last order of JBL's all around was backordered, so I cancelled it. I'm still tossing between Infinity, JBL, or Alpine for the rear. I may wait to hear the Kenwoods first- if they're loud enough, I'll worry less about efficiency and more about quality and freqency extention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts