Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most people know that searching through this forum can be frustrating, unless you do an advanced search by title, etc. And noobs have no idea too. A better solution is to use Google and do a search like "how to not blow up my engine site:mazda6club.com", but this requires you to go all the way to Google and type too much :).

So I found a cool Firefox add-on that will let you Google search the site you are currently visiting (e.g. mazda6club.com). If you use Firefox, you're familiar with the search box:

After installing the Insite Search add-on, you will see a new red search button. That's the Insite Search button.

From here, all you have to do is visit the forum (or whatever site you want to search), type the text you want to search in the Firefox search box, and hit the red search button. Make sure Google is selected as the default search engine for the Firefox search box (other search engines will probably work too).

A new tab will open with the search results returned by Google:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Dude...that's an awesome find! Thanks

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
That is sweet! For some reason I have a Bing search bar w/ FireFox 5.0, but I just added it and it worked great. Thanks man!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Nifty add-on, but

"going all the way to google" - yeah, two tabs over from this one, not that tough really.

Although I myself am a champion of the goog search with the site filter added in, this site also has a google search box, limited to this domain, at the top of every page. Works very well for me.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nifty add-on, but

"going all the way to google" - yeah, two tabs over from this one, not that tough really.

Although I myself am a champion of the goog search with the site filter added in, this site also has a google search box, limited to this domain, at the top of every page. Works very well for me.
I didn't even see the Google search at the top of the page. Thanks!
Anyway, the add-on can be used anywhere, not just this site.
And yes, I am lazy and will always try to find ways to save steps when I can.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Haha, neither did I

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
This is a very helpful thread for my search on information on springs and shocks

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
That's actually a good point- I forget how frustrating it is to try (fail) searching for things with the default search. I wonder if this thread, or at least a sentence on how to search here, shouldn't be added to the noob post...

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ That's a good idea. This thread was moved to the "Site Suggestions / Problems", which is appropriate, but people usually don't go there often LOL. Dougefresh_ supermod, do you mind adding a link to this thread (or just the information) to our MS6 noob thread? Not sure if cfdp (thread creator) will see this.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Yeah, Blaise won't mind. I edited the OP of the n0000b thread, and put this link near the top in giant red font. Good thinking fellas!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
if you click search for the site up on the nav bar, it has a google search option already
I never noticed that either, haha. Seems to work well. Thanks!

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
me neither- I'd just been using google or more recently the google search on the top left. I haven't clicked that top right search tool in over a year, mostly due to it's, well, sucking horribly.

Thank you Site Admins for hearing our screams of pain and improving the state of search on Mazda6Club.com! :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts