Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i looked through the site and found one thing regarding E85 and our cars..... to stay away, it will destory it! i couldnt accept this as i am from good ol'missouri where every thing can run on cornpower! I contacted cobb surgeline to ask the quetion about e85 and the ms6 and found out that if we upgrade the injectors and fuel pump all per cobbs recomendation we can get e85 maps. i then asked is this going to destroy my fuel line he said yes in about 20years of e85 through it. This would be a great alternative to the meth?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Ethanol is garbage. Ethanol plus reformulated gasoline is pewp. Ethanol plus reformulated winter blend is pure horse shit.
Anyway, I can promise you it won't take 20 years. Maybe 1/4th of that if you drive alot. It's nasty stuff. I work with it regularly. I work on the skids that blend E10. Systems vary over the US. But, the ones around here are inefficient and def overblend gasoline's. Probably more like E20.

·
Registered
457 Posts
good luck with those upgraded injectors...

remember, cobb deals with the subies all day long. we're nothing but a footnote.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
There is one set of upgraded injectors for the MS6, and I'm very sure the owner will never EVER part with them...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ethanol is garbage. Ethanol plus reformulated gasoline is pewp. Ethanol plus reformulated winter blend is pure horse shit.
Anyway, I can promise you it won't take 20 years. Maybe 1/4th of that if you drive alot. It's nasty stuff. I work with it regularly. I work on the skids that blend E10. Systems vary over the US. But, the ones around here are inefficient and def overblend gasoline's. Probably more like E20.[/b]
+1 E-85 is pure garbage. Running regular octane (87 or whatever) is 100 times better for the government car I get to drive daily that only gets regular unleaded once a week and e-85 the rest. Car barely starts when I go too long with the e-85. Not sure what the craze is about it. You get horrible gas mileage too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (MSP6COP @ Feb 2 2010, 04:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634080
+1 E-85 is pure garbage. Running regular octane (87 or whatever) is 100 times better for the government car I get to drive daily that only gets regular unleaded once a week and e-85 the rest. Car barely starts when I go too long with the e-85. Not sure what the craze is about it. You get horrible gas mileage too.[/b]
the craze is with a proper tune you are running 105 octane and E85 burns cooler. All gas around here is at least 10% corn. all i know is Cobb is all over this they are now running it in there GTR i dont think they would put garbage in a $80,000 street monster and one of there techs at surgeline has been running it in his subie for over 2 years and drives out of his way to get it in the 55gallon drums for the shop. ah bliss..

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Are you completely unaware our car has a direct injection engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Insane @ Feb 2 2010, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634107
Are you completely unaware our car has a direct injection engine?[/b]
yes aware but please tell me what that means to this subject you have plenty of posts so you really should know right?

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Ask Cobb if they have anyone using E85 on a direct injection motor. Subies and GTR's are not direct injection.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
QUOTE (sixness @ Feb 2 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634106
the craze is with a proper tune you are running 105 octane and E85 burns cooler. All gas around here is at least 10% corn. all i know is Cobb is all over this they are now running it in there GTR i dont think they would put garbage in a $80,000 street monster and one of there techs at surgeline has been running it in his subie for over 2 years and drives out of his way to get it in the 55gallon drums for the shop. ah bliss..[/b]
Yes, there are documented cases where the ethanol blended fuels can produce good power. Many auto race series use it in 100% form as cost isn't a problem. That's not the issue. Without going into the politics of Gov't subsidized corn production, the main issue(s) with ethanol (and methanol) are the inefficiency of the "ols" as a motor fuel. Both in the fuel economy in service and the processes involved in refining the organics (corn, chicken shit, grapes, "garbage", or whatever) into a useable form. Second is the severe corrosive properties of the alcohol based fuels. These issues apply to ALL applications.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Insane @ Feb 2 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634117
Ask Cobb if they have anyone using E85 on a direct injection motor. Subies and GTR's are not direct injection.[/b]
i understand and i know thats why cobb told me "bigger injectors(deadend)and bigger fuel pump" just asking questions the direct injection engine is the future for car manufacturers i think its only a matter of time before bigger injectors will be out.

QUOTE (FORZDA 1 @ Feb 2 2010, 08:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634118
Yes, there are documented cases where the ethanol blended fuels can produce good power. Many auto race series use it in 100% form as cost isn't a problem. That's not the issue. Without going into the politics of Gov't subsidized corn production, the main issue(s) with ethanol (and methanol) are the inefficiency of the "ols" as a motor fuel. Both in the fuel economy in service and the processes involved in refining the organics (corn, chicken shit, grapes, "garbage", or whatever) into a useable form. Second is the severe corrosive properties of the alcohol based fuels. These issues apply to ALL applications.[/b]
+1 power but at what cost....

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
QUOTE (FORZDA 1 @ Feb 2 2010, 08:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634118
Yes, there are documented cases where the ethanol blended fuels can produce good power. Many auto race series use it in 100% form as cost isn't a problem. That's not the issue. Without going into the politics of Gov't subsidized corn production, the main issue(s) with ethanol (and methanol) are the inefficiency of the "ols" as a motor fuel. Both in the fuel economy in service and the processes involved in refining the organics (corn, chicken shit, grapes, "garbage", or whatever) into a useable form. Second is the severe corrosive properties of the alcohol based fuels. These issues apply to ALL applications.[/b]
God bless you, sir.
I can't say it any clearer. It's garbage. I work FOR oil companies ON the skids that blend "E10" at fuel distribution terminals. I've personally seen it's corrosive tendencies. I've repaired seals in actuating valves dissolved by ethanol. It's not worth shit as a fuel or a fuel additive. It's just about money, as usual.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's been talked about plenty, and it's been done on a DISI MZR: http://www.mcx7.com/showthread.php?p=52967#post52967

Tuning was with the CP-e standback. Talk to Jordan @ MAPerformance for details on the tune. He knows his shit.

Get the upgraded fuel pump from CP-e or someone's internals and you should be fine. The injectors aren't even breaking a sweat yet.

Everyone here hates the idea - but fuck 'em. It's your car, do what you want with it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Indeed. But, he came here looking for opinions. I gave mine. I'd never run more than the mandated amount in my car.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Pointless on this platform.

Fuel IS a limitation on this platform IMO, and necessitates things like increased fuel pressures etc around the 380-400whp. Considering an e85 tune needs 20% more fuel for a given amount of air, and the fact that it results in less power, you'd have to run a crazy timing map and alot more boost (read more fuel) to make it worth while. And by that point, i think the injectors would be more than sweating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (JohnnyT @ Feb 2 2010, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634199
It's been talked about plenty, and it's been done on a DISI MZR: http://www.mcx7.com/showthread.php?p=52967#post52967

Tuning was with the CP-e standback. Talk to Jordan @ MAPerformance for details on the tune. He knows his shit.

Get the upgraded fuel pump from CP-e or someone's internals and you should be fine. The injectors aren't even breaking a sweat yet.

Everyone here hates the idea - but fuck 'em. It's your car, do what you want with it.[/b]
Right on man .thats what got me interested was the cx-7 tune thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
QUOTE (djuosnteisn @ Feb 2 2010, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634226
Pointless on this platform.

Fuel IS a limitation on this platform IMO, and necessitates things like increased fuel pressures etc around the 380-400whp. Considering an e85 tune needs 20% more fuel for a given amount of air, and the fact that it results in less power, you'd have to run a crazy timing map and alot more boost (read more fuel) to make it worth while. And by that point, i think the injectors would be more than sweating.[/b]

The OP NEVER once stated what his intentions were - if he isn't requesting the 380-400whp levels you stated e85 might be the perfect route for him.

Even then, the only fuel limitation you may have is injectors - and it still hasn't been proven at high hp levels. Fuel pump solutions are out there, and auxiliary fueling is on its way. It'll get figured out...in due time.

Have you measured the injector duty cycle on a 400hp DISI MZR motor?

·
Registered
457 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts