Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of running some E85 in my MS6. No more than a 50/50 mix.
Anything special I should know and who's the best to have tune it? Should I just go 50/50 or less?

I'd be looking for a map I can switch back & forth via my Cobb AP w/my 93 tune if need be.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't do it
- Any cleaner emissions are wiped out by the decrease in gas mileage.
- Any decrease of cash spent per fill-up will be countered by more frequent fill-ups

I don't know about an '06, but I know the '03 maxes out at E10

·
Registered
941 Posts
I am curious why you would want to? Do you own corn stock?
Not considering the environmental issues of using food for fuel, isn't higher ethanol content more difficult to start in colder climates? Doesn't PA get cold in the winter?
Curious... Anyone?
Don't do it
- Any cleaner emissions are wiped out by the decrease in gas mileage.
- Any decrease of cash spent per fill-up will be countered by more frequent fill-ups

I don't know about an '06, but I know the '03 maxes out at E10
You guys have completely missed the point.

E85 in a forced induction engine allows more timing and more power. You not only make up the difference in lost performance since E85 has less potential energy than gasoline, you can turn up the boost and add more timing and make more power. It's a fine line though.

OP: You would need to tune it for that much E85 and you would also very likely need to go through the fuel system to make sure it won't get eaten alive as well. E85 is more corrosive than gasoline and I doubt the fuel system was made to handle it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys have completely missed the point.

E85 in a forced induction engine allows more timing and more power. You not only make up the difference in lost performance since E85 has less potential energy than gasoline, you can turn up the boost and add more timing and make more power. It's a fine line though.

OP: You would need to tune it for that much E85 and you would also very likely need to go through the fuel system to make sure it won't get eaten alive as well. E85 is more corrosive than gasoline and I doubt the fuel system was made to handle it.
I haven't read any problems with destroying the system from other MS owners running it at 50/50 mix or less. Yup, I'm aware I need to have the car re-tuned for it. I reached out to Stratified. Waiting for a reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts