Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it has a substantial effect on the power peaks and curves

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a topic that I don't think it has been addressed here except in passing. Maybe as MS6 tuning options become available, this topic will take on new importance as people will be less interested in hp/torque peaks and more interested in the curve. Anyway, I hope people will share their dyno experiences so we can at least try to determine what the best TMIC-specific prodedure is.

·
Registered
815 Posts
This is a topic that I don't think it has been addressed here except in passing. Maybe as MS6 tuning options become available, this topic will take on new importance as people will be less interested in hp/torque peaks and more interested in the curve. Anyway, I hope people will share their dyno experiences so we can at least try to determine what the best TMIC-specific prodedure is.
[/b]
During my most recent dyno, the shop placed a fan directly on the intercooler (same process they use when dynoing suburus). I think the cooling of the intercooler will be more important if you are doing multiple runs. They also had a water spray that they used to cool the intercooler...if I remember correctly, it didn't make a big difference...maybe one or two hp and same for torque (only sprayed water during the last run).

My first dyno at the same shop, they used a fan in front of the car for the first two runs and then used the fan on the intercooler for the last run. First two runs were pretty low (especially the second one). They turned off the car and restarted for the last run and it was significantly higher (26 hp and 39 ft/lbs difference). This also was my only dyno before I was reflashed and I may have been suffering from the infamous "powerloss" or at the very least the inefficient cooling set-up (fans infront of the car w/ the hood up) was causing the ecu to pull timing. I will say that the numbers from the second dyno session were much more consistent, but I'm not sure if that was due to the fans being placed on the intercooler or having had the reflash or a little of both.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the fan in front of the car when I dyno'd. It made pretty low power when it was hot, but when we spray'd down the IC with water, so you could at least touch the thing, it then made much more power. I think if we had a fan on the IC so that airflow was going through it instead of over it, I would have made more power. The ducting is there for a reason.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Whoever marked in the poll they had it done with the hood closed, did it seem to be effective? Seems like there wouldn't be enough air flow just from a fan, but I know a lot of people have suggested doing this.

Incidentally, an MS3 owner is having his car tuned by the one and only Corky Bell in a few weeks. I asked him to let us know how the master himself does it for all of our edification.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts