Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into putting in my old stereo system to the Mazda 6s. I am looking into sound deadening like dynamat. It is so damn expensive, does any else have any good rec's for some other product that does the same thing. Also I am just placing 5.25 speakers in the door...is it necessary to dynamat the doors as well? Or would that be overkill? Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like Fatmat or brownbread?
[/b]

something along those lines i guess. I saw Fatmax on Ebay. They seemed to have alot of good qualitys and uses, but then again it could just be good marketing. I was wondering if any and who has used other products than Dynamat and what they thought about them.

Also i was trying to do some thinking, and is 100 sqft be good for say trunk plus doors maybe?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Do some deep searching here in this topic area. I recall a number of threads on this very question. IIRC, brown bread is some good stuff and a lot cheaper than dynamat.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
well i bought a 100 sq feet off ebay of fatmat, heard some iffy things, but went with it anyways. we had a week straight of 100 degree + not including heat index this summer, and the stuff never flinched. still rocking out. i did spend hours cleaning and prepping the surface though, that probably made the most difference.

i also filled all tight areas with expanding foam, and bigger areas i filled with poly fill, and also used 1 inch thick foam pad in areas. theres a pic post i started but havent finished updating cause im lazy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i bought a 100 sq feet off ebay of fatmat, heard some iffy things, but went with it anyways. we had a week straight of 100 degree + not including heat index this summer, and the stuff never flinched. still rocking out. i did spend hours cleaning and prepping the surface though, that probably made the most difference.

i also filled all tight areas with expanding foam, and bigger areas i filled with poly fill, and also used 1 inch thick foam pad in areas. theres a pic post i started but havent finished updating cause im lazy.
[/b]

What did the 100ft. cover?? You get coverage of trunk and doors? If so just one layer I would assume? Thanks. I have a tough time justifying paying double for a brand name

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have also read/heard that rammat is good stuff too.
Anyone know how much it takes to cover 4 doors, trunk, trunk lid, and the entire floor of the car?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I checked out RAAM's site as well and did some preliminary calculations based on their recommendations (3 x the doors - inner surface of outer skin, inner skin, and door panel). From their recommendations here's the estimate I came up with just for the 4 doors and rear deck:

Front doors: 2.5' x 1.7' = 4.25 sqft. Round up to 5 sqft
Rear doors: 2' x 1.7' = 3.4 sqft. Round up to 4 sqft
Rear deck: 3.5' x 1.5' = 5.25 sqft. Round up to 6 sqft

Doing both the skins on the door and the inside of the door panel means 3 layers, or 3 x 5 sqft x 2drs = 30 sq ft on front doors, and 3 x 4 sqft x 2 = 24 sqft for rear doors.
Rear deck will require 6 sq ft
Therefore, just to do doors and rear deck will require 30 + 24 + 6 = 60 sq ft. RAAMmat comes in 15" x 50' rolls totaling 62.5 sq ft.

Based on their recommendations it would take one roll just to do the doors and rear deck.

However, I pulled off the rear door panels the other night to put in some 6x8 Infinity's. Looking at the design of the door, I don't think it's realistic to fully cover the inner surfaces of the door skins. To understand why, see this thread in the Interior Modifications forum:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...pid=790029&

Based on this I think only 1.5 times the door surface will be realistic. That halves the estimate for the doors from 54 sqft (30 fronts + 24 rears = 54) to 27 sq ft. This is less than half a roll, so if you're not going to go crazy, one roll might be enough.

If you're going to completely gut the interior to do the whole floor along with the trunk, then buy 2 rolls. But if you're going to go to that amount of trouble, maybe taking off the plastic skins isn't too much work, so you might end up needing 3 if you're really ambitious and want to cover up every little bit you can.

Update: the members that replied in the link I posted above say removing the plastic skin doesn't create big problems so I'm going to do that then. This will change the estimates for the amount of deadener needed, and put it back to where I had originally estimated. Sounds like a full RAAMmat roll will be needed just for the 4 doors and rear deck. I'll probably order two rolls to do the whole car.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Secondskin and Raam mat are nice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
how much do I need to do : Front doors, hatch bottom?

·
Registered
491 Posts
30 sqft should be enough. i used some leftover to do the hatch floor and ran out (maybe had 15 sqft left and used some second skin for the doors, used about 1/4 of 40 sqft.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some good discussion got deleted as a result of the hacker...

Try this:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Based on that and other research I went with Rammat and Ensolite for my project.

So far, I am almost through my first roll and I have done the passenger and drivers side floor pan, most of the trunk and have just enough left to do the decklid. So I would think the estimates given in this thread are pretty accurate.

So far I have been happy working with it and with the results that I have gotten.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts