Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys?

quick question. how many people who do there own oil change have noticed that the ms6 is supposed to hold 6 qts of oil, and if you actually let if fully drain and then put in 6 qts you end up way over max line. on thursday i did an oil change at work. added 5 1/2 qts and then checked it. it was just slightly over the max line. like not even to the M on MAX. so i figured thats fine. i check today after driving it and turn9ing off the car, letting it sit for 5 minutes and the level is at the A in MAX. now honestly i know the difference is probobly about 1/6 of a qt.

i guess my question is, has anybody found the exact amount to add, then check it and have it be perfect, without having to drain some or add?

·
Registered
684 Posts
sorry for slightly off topic,
is there a walk-thru or how-to oil change for MS6?
i've found one on Mazda6, but is there any difference?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, I've only done one change so far, but I need to do number two tonight or tomorrow. First time it was 5.75 quarts right up to the line. I'm pretty sure the turbo and lines hold the extra.

·
Registered
919 Posts
hey guys?

quick question. how many people who do there own oil change have noticed that the ms6 is supposed to hold 6 qts of oil, and if you actually let if fully drain and then put in 6 qts you end up way over max line. on thursday i did an oil change at work. added 5 1/2 qts and then checked it. it was just slightly over the max line. like not even to the M on MAX. so i figured thats fine. i check today after driving it and turn9ing off the car, letting it sit for 5 minutes and the level is at the A in MAX. now honestly i know the difference is probobly about 1/6 of a qt.

i guess my question is, has anybody found the exact amount to add, then check it and have it be perfect, without having to drain some or add?
[/b]
I had the same thing on my regular 6 as you did. I drained out all the oil and put in 5.5 qts., and when checked it was about 1/4 in. over the max hole. That car holds 6 qts. full. I can't explain it either.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i think the manual says it takes 5.7 quarts.

·
Registered
820 Posts
the system capacity when dry and the capacity for all other oil changes will never be the same. you can never really get ALL of the oil out of the car unless you pull the engine etc... 5.5qts will probably get you full.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yep, I noticed this too, I put in 6 quarts but when I poured the old oil into the 5 quart mobile 1 bottle (to give it to the recycler) I was able to fit all of the used oil in the 5 quart container. What ever the capacity is I was only able to drain about 5.2 quarts out of the car.

One good thing about the oil filter housing is that you can take that little drain bolt out and drain about 0.1 quart of oil instead of trying to take a little out with the oil-pan bolt and making a mess.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
sorry for slightly off topic,
is there a walk-thru or how-to oil change for MS6?
i've found one on Mazda6, but is there any difference?
[/b]
The difference was posted in an earlier thread. IIRC there are 2, the oil capacity as discussed in this thread, and the size of the drain bolt, which is 17mm on the MS6.

the system capacity when dry and the capacity for all other oil changes will never be the same. you can never really get ALL of the oil out of the car unless you pull the engine etc... 5.5qts will probably get you full.
[/b]
+1 My experience as well. I used a bit under 5.5 qts for my change. There's always a bit of oil trapped in the recesses of the engine.

Is there a crush washer that you need to replace when changing your oil?
[/b]
Yes, when you buy the filter from the dealer they usually give you one of the crush washers for the drain plug. There should also be 2 O-rings, one small one for the oil filter drain plug, and one big one for the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah my first oil change, which was also my last oil change :). I filled it to the max hole on the dipstick with just under 5.5 qts.

I like the drain on the filter alot. I change my filter only every other oil change so I like that I can drain the filter somewhat.

Can anyone comment on the effects of overfilling? I know on my motorcycles it was a nono, and I haven'treally cared with any of my previous cars. I filled mine to max, but I'm thinking it may be better to have slightly less than that.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yes, when you buy the filter from the dealer they usually give you one of the crush washers for the drain plug. There should also be 2 O-rings, one small one for the oil filter drain plug, and one big one for the oil filter housing.
[/b]
I ordered online from Trussville Mazda and when I called to ask about it, they said there was no crush washer that had to be replaced on the drain plug! :swearin:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered online from Trussville Mazda and when I called to ask about it, they said there was no crush washer that had to be replaced on the drain plug! :swearin:
[/b]

ok, so atleast its not just my speed6 with this miraculous overfill.

and as for the crush washer, you really only need to replace it if you doesnt look in good condition. i didnt replace mine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
[/b]
a crush washer is required. i ordered mine seperately. like 5 for a dollar. they are the same as on the regular 6 i believe. oh and if you overfill, i think the oil could overflow into your engine compartment when the car gets going and the oil expands.

·
Registered
315 Posts
[/b]
That's dealerships for ya. I wen in to get a filter and my dealer asked me if I also needed "the crush washer too". You're supposed to replace it every time. If you're in a pinch, you can use the same one twice, just flip it from how it was on the bolt previously. Sometimes I do that. I also inspect the drain bolt for leakage often though.

I'm seeing the slightest amount of seepage around the filter drain bolt actually. About a drop every 2k miles I'd guess. Not going to worry about it unless it gets worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts