Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of a post i made at msprotege.com, they don't have as many M6 owners as this bored does though, so i thought i would slide it over here. Either way, i am trying to think of a way to hook up a DVD system for the front of the Mazda 6S ill be getting next week. I dont want to have to take out the sound system thats allready there however, so It looks like the two options at this point are:

1. Drop Down LCD from the roof (Audiovox, Alpine, Kenwood)
2. LCD in the Dash Compartment (Alpine w. Audiovox DVD player under seat)

Since i dont have my six yet, i was wondering if any of you had any experience with this or ideas. Is there enough head room to see good with a drop down? And what are the measurements of the Dash Compartment (W,L,D open and closed). Have any of you tried anything like this, or tried something similar in other cars. Also... was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for 6.5" LCDs or Drop Down LCDs with integrated DVD (want to hear from people who have the deck installed or have actualy seen one playing if possible). Lemme know what you all think...

BTW, original post is here:
http://msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php...&threadid=19374

Thanks,
Francesco Esposito

----------
Comming soon to a Metro Detroit Driveway near you:
Black Mazda6s
Sports Package
Bose Audio
Moonroof
Leather

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Reading Topic: DVD Set-up for Mazda6s

i think that in dash would be best. a drop down would be just uncomfortable to look at. the main interior lights from the roof might cause a problem. the ones in the compartment in the dash is perfect that is why it is there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

In Your Opinion what would be the best way to mount it though? Physicaly placing the screen inside the compartment and accesing it by opening it, or cutting a whole for it in the compartment so its allways visable?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

i would keep it in the compartment. you could get to it by opening the lid. This keeps thieves away too! It will also be less money and work! Someone on the board has done this i think with an older alpine unit

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Here's my setup..

I have a 6.5" widescreen Pioneer screen installed in the dash compartment. Its attached using springs so that when I open the compartment the screen pops up with it and its held in place. The DVD unit is installed underneath the passenger seat. I did this so that ti can still maintain the stock look. It makes changing discs a little bit more difficult, but I figured the NAV system would be running most of the time anyways, and I could jsut leave that disc in there most of the time anyhow.

Pics to come.. Installation is still in progress...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ya honestly i want as much information on this as possible, pics would be great. What is the screen attached to? The Compartment Door? i dont really understand your set-up...i've been thinking of doing this for a while now.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Replying to Topic 'DVD Set-up for Mazda6s'

Originally posted by Absolut

Here's my setup..

I have a 6.5" widescreen Pioneer screen installed in the dash compartment.  Its attached using springs so that when I open the compartment the screen pops up with it and its held in place.  The DVD unit is installed underneath the passenger seat.  I did this so that ti can still maintain the stock look.  It makes changing discs a little bit more difficult, but I figured the NAV system would be running most of the time anyways, and I could jsut leave that disc in there most of the time anyhow.

Pics to come.. Installation is still in progress...[/b]
how do you like the pioneer nav? i am also installing aftermarket nav when my 6 arrives and i was looking at either the pioneer version or the new alpine

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I have an older Pioneer version NAV system. The one (AVIC-90DVD) is a little better at doing street level mapping then mine. I havent seen the Alpine but have heard good things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Do you have a setup like this (its in japanese but you can see the pictures)? This guy used a mounting plate and a spring loaded system to the monitor that would make the screen go flat when the compartment is closed, and then flips it up the compartment is opened. I'm looking for someone who has it set-up like that and would be willing to make an extra mounting plate with springs for me, i'll pay you whatever for a set and some instructions for installing it. Check the link, this guy has a pretty cool setup, and if you have something like this, message me.

Thanks,
Francesco Esposito

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/yimazeki/Ca...r/CarNavi06.htm

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/yimazeki/Ca...r/CarNavi05.htm

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/yimazeki/Ca...Car/CarNavi.htm

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

I have an older Pioneer version NAV system.  The one (AVIC-90DVD) is a little better at doing street level mapping then mine.  I havent seen the Alpine but have heard good things.[/b]
If you have the avic-9dvd it can be upgraded to the avic-90dvd with the cndv-20 map disc. i will be getting the avic-9dvd and doing just that.

the only thing i like more about the alpine is that it has 6 million POI's instead of the pioneer avic-90dvd having only 2 million. but since the unit will be under a seat or in the glovebox, i really wont be able to use the remote to control the alpine unit, hence why im leaning pioneer b/c of the voice control. i see you are installing it under a seat, can you control the nav totally by voice? (im assuming you have the avic-9dvd) thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

whoa, he put a computer tower in his trunk? what purpose does a computer serve in his car? a lil much for me, but cool nonetheless

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy

I have an older Pioneer version NAV system.  The one (AVIC-90DVD) is a little better at doing street level mapping then mine.  I havent seen the Alpine but have heard good things.[/b]
If you have the avic-9dvd it can be upgraded to the avic-90dvd with the cndv-20 map disc. i will be getting the avic-9dvd and doing just that.

the only thing i like more about the alpine is that it has 6 million POI's instead of the pioneer avic-90dvd having only 2 million. but since the unit will be under a seat or in the glovebox, i really wont be able to use the remote to control the alpine unit, hence why im leaning pioneer b/c of the voice control. i see you are installing it under a seat, can you control the nav totally by voice? (im assuming you have the avic-9dvd) thanks[/b][/quote]

Hmm.. That's interesting. I didn't know you could just use the DVD disk that came with the AVIC-90DVD unit and use it in the 9DVD. If that works, I will just end up doing that and getting the better mapping details, etc..

I will be installing the DVD unit under the seat. Im pretty sure that I can still use the remote because you can point the remote at the screen and still get it to work the DVD unit. However, it still has the ability to use the voice controls so I will more than likely use both in tandem. I will let you know how it all goes with pics!

·
Registered
157 Posts

controls the tv, win amp mp3 player, and has a dvd player as well. it also has the stuff for the navi

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Hmm.. That's interesting.  I didn't know you could just use the DVD disk that came with the AVIC-90DVD unit and use it in the 9DVD.  If that works, I will just end up doing that and getting the better mapping details, etc..

I will be installing the DVD unit under the seat.  Im pretty sure that I can still use the remote because you can point the remote at the screen and still get it to work the DVD unit.  However, it still has the ability to use the voice controls so I will more than likely use both in tandem.  I will let you know how it all goes with pics![/b]
i see, i am using non-pioneer screens so i wont be able to do that. but yes you can definitly upgrade your avic-9dvd to the avic-90dvd with the cndv-20 disc, according to 2002 Pioneer catalog, "CNDV-20 Update Data Disc - Allows for AVIC-9dvd to have enhanced new features of AVIC-90dvd".

cant wait for your pics man, i have the components but i wont have my install untill late june

·
Registered
55 Posts

Here's my setup..

I have a 6.5" widescreen Pioneer screen installed in the dash compartment.  Its attached using springs so that when I open the compartment the screen pops up with it and its held in place.  The DVD unit is installed underneath the passenger seat.  I did this so that ti can still maintain the stock look.  It makes changing discs a little bit more difficult, but I figured the NAV system would be running most of the time anyways, and I could jsut leave that disc in there most of the time anyhow.

Pics to come.. Installation is still in progress...[/b]
Do you have any photos of this? Does anyone know if you can order the ones for europe and install them and then that way you can at least use the DVD function but will have to wait for the NAV disc... What if they bring it over in the future, any thoughts on if it would be an easy install?

I just find the way the nav is setup overseas to be automatic is really nice, and the screen coming out with a touch of a button is definately pimp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts