Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this car for a month now and recently did a major detail... and part of that involved using a compressor to blow some of the dust out and I used a 18v battery powered fan with the windows down the the garage to try and get this way to strong air freshener smell out the previous owner used.

So today I noticed what appear to be specs of dust in the command display.

I cannot feel them from the front of the display and they won't rub off.

So has anyone else experienced this?
I am pretty sure I would have noticed it before... so I guess it was causes by dusting off with the air compressor? (I seriously doubt the low powered fan did it.)

I doubt there is an easy way to access the inside layer of the display?

Other ideas I have... cover the the display in a plastic bag and stick a shop vac in and try to suction out the dust.

Or... try to use the compressor again and force the specs out of the middle of the display. (I't exactly sure wherever to use the compressor? The point at which the display peeks through the dash?)

I did a meticulously details... carpet extraction, steam cleaning, seat removal, headliner cleaning, every crack and crevice, and the car looks showroom new... but hopefully the dust specs are not there forever!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If ever you are inclined to clean it one more time, I would follow your thought about using a vacuum cleaner.
Well I tried the vacuum.

Tried the bag, then I taped all around it and left one slot open on the seal at the top.... then tried the same thing along the base.

The annoying part is more of these white dust particles kept appearing on the air vents and other places... so these large particles are coming from where in the car and they are larger than normal dust.

The only thing left is to try the air compressor. I counted 11 particles in the display... so if the compressed air causes more to enter before some leave... I can at least cut my losses before it gets too far out of control.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on the shadows they are casting they are on the back side of the front panel; however, they won't fall if you try to tap them. and based on the shadow it appears there is a decent space between the outer planel and the backlit panel inside. So... I assuming the static electricity is holding them in very firmly.

·
Administrator
18,565 Posts
Imagine Dragons - Believer, won't disagree with that :)

Sounds like you've got to pull the glass off and clean it from the inside, but I wouldn't dare do that before figuring out how its all put together and if it's even possible. You may end up having to take it to a dealership since i haven't heard of anyone on here pulling that screen apart. Doesn't mean it's not possible, just that no one has reported doing it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am now thinking the dust has always been in there. It was just the time of day and the angle of the sun that made it so visible. I didn’t even notice it when it was dark on the drive to work.... and when the sun rose. That is probably why it is stuck so good. I’ll try the air compressor and then stop before I break something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I have had this car for a month now and recently did a major detail... and part of that involved using a compressor to blow some of the dust out and I used a 18v battery powered fan with the windows down the the garage to try and get this way to strong air freshener smell out the previous owner used.

So today I noticed what appear to be specs of dust in the command display.

I cannot feel them from the front of the display and they won't rub off.

So has anyone else experienced this?
I am pretty sure I would have noticed it before... so I guess it was causes by dusting off with the air compressor? (I seriously doubt the low powered fan did it.)

I doubt there is an easy way to access the inside layer of the display?

Other ideas I have... cover the the display in a plastic bag and stick a shop vac in and try to suction out the dust.

Or... try to use the compressor again and force the specs out of the middle of the display. (I't exactly sure wherever to use the compressor? The point at which the display peeks through the dash?) View attachment 239310 View attachment 239311

I did a meticulously details... carpet extraction, steam cleaning, seat removal, headliner cleaning, every crack and crevice, and the car looks showroom new... but hopefully the dust specs are not there forever!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd recommend changing your cabin air filter since it's a used car. That should help all those "larger than normal" particles of dust you say are appearing. Sometimes those filters are totally nasty but you'd never know until you look.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If blowing the particles out of sight doesn't work and still serious about removing the particles you may consider removing the module for closer inspection. If the module isn't serviced by removing the top of the dash, it may be accessed through the glove box. You may want to ask a dealer how it is done, especially if you bought it at a Mazda dealer.
If you chose to remove the module for closer inspection and possible cleaning through the glove box, this a general instruction on how to remove it for a Mazda, I have removed 3 different Mazda glove boxes to route the wires for installing dash cams, the last one out 2019 Mazda CX5. The cabin air filter access is normally behind the glove box too. To remove it open the glove box, then disconnect the damper that is probably located on the right side outside the box it'self. Be careful to not break the clip attaching what looks like black fishing line to the box and damper that cushions box opening. Then pushing inward at the back of the box on both sides to get it past the retaining tabs, then pull the box all the way out and finish by lifting it out. The dealer mechanic broke my damper clip doing the air bag update on my 2007 MS6 so be careful. Now you can hopefully take a look at how the module is installed onto the dash.
Last note about using compressed air. I have used my leave blower for many years to blow the water off the windows after washing the car for streak free glass and blow most of the water off the car leaving little to wipe off with microfiber towels after washing it, works especially well on a waxed car . Works for removing water from your aluminum wheels and crevices around tail lights and the front end, inside door openings etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.