Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

We just purchased a Mazda6i with manual transaxle two weekends ago. We are in the process of breaking the car in before we do baseline testing (Dyno, quarter mile, etc); and then we will begin fabricating intakes and headers for this model.

We will take some pictures of the vehicle and upload them to our website as soon as we can. Any progress made on parts will be listed on our website. If you have any questions, feel free to come on over to our message boards at:

www.DuratecPerformance.com

Happy Motoring,

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Duratec Performance purchases Mazda6i

Can you prototype a CAI for both the V6 and the I4 on the same I4 car?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replying to Topic 'Duratec Performance purchases Mazda6i'

The intake manifold and throttle body location are completely different between the I4 and the V6.. However, where the filter woudl eventually end up, should be the same. So when we tear into our I4 and find the location of a spot to place a cone filter, then we will know where to route the V6 piping....

Nikolas

·
Registered
14 Posts

hello nikolas,
nick here from turbo performace works in new jersey. how are you doing with the 6i ?
we have the same here and in the process of making an adapter flange for a T3 .
intake is tough with it being in the box and all but we might be making a new unit to calibrate with the turbo set up. just wondering what you thought about the head . it flows very well from the factory. do you have any thoughts on the cfm it is rated at and the strength of the bottom end. thanks in advance

·
Registered
791 Posts

You've gotta be near finished the break-in now. You're thoughts on the engine after break-in?

When can we expect development to start?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah,

Break in is over, now it is just a matter of getting the car into the shop. It is my wifes daily driver, so she will drive our Project Focus when it gets out of the shop, thus making room for the Mazda6i.

Next week we are going to develop a 4-1 header for the Focus and then in June, start developing a Short Ram Intake, Cold Air Intake, 4-2-1 Header, and CatBack Exhaust for the Focus. WHen all of that is done, then we will begin work on the Mazda6i Short Ram Intake, Cold Air Intake, 4-1 Header, 4-2-1 Header, and Cat Back Exhaust.

The summer is going to be very busy for us as you can see, but we should have a decent amount of parts out for the Mazda6i by the end of the summer. We are really anticipating a computer tuning device to be released for the Mazda6. That will really allow owners and us to tune the engine for all of these bolt on mods as well as for 91-93 octane fuel.....

As far as the turbo goes for the Mazda6i. We wont start development on that until late this year if not early next year. We dont have the R&D funds to dump into that just yet. But you are correct, the cylinder head flows a very good amount of air from the factory. The bottom end on these 2.3L engines is pretty weak, i wouldnt run more than 7-9psi if you want it to last for very long, and any Turbo kit better come with an intercooler......there is just no other way to do it, especially on these engines. But, throw in some forged rods and pistons (soon to be available for purchase from us) and you can run 14-20 psi all day long....

Nikolas

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I can tell you what we will be working on once we get the car in the shope:

Cold Air Intake
Shorty Header
4-2-1 Header
Cat Back Exhaust
Computer Programmer
Cams
Heads
Turbo

I cant give dates on when any of these will be out, but ALLLL of them will be out at some point in time.

Nikolas

·
Registered
791 Posts

Nikolas-

Mind taking the 6i to the dyno now rather than later? It'll give us (me) something to look at. Yes, I know, it's completely selfish and I'm not willing to shell out the money myself. I'd rather save it for a new intake. I'm intensely curious if the 6i engine is as overrated as the 6s seems to be. I sure am happy with it regardless.

Also, in the meantime, have you checked out the airbox mod people on this site are doing? For both the 6i and 6s, there are three parts that can be removed from the airbox to allow more air in and a much different sound. It's in the "How does the 6s sound..." thread. I was wondering your thoughts on it, being the tuner by trade. It hardly takes 10 minutes.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hey how about us guys who had the cash to get the V6 Tell us which parts will be interchangable from the 6i to the 6s

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hey what about us guys that had the cash to get the 6s? Tell us what parts are you developing for us 6s dudes and what parts you are working on now can be interchangable b/w the 6i and the 6s?[glow tcolor=Blue, fcolor=black, size=10, strength=3]IronTiger[/glow]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts