Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my speed6 out for a little zoom zoom action and I lost power steering and it wouldn’t let me shift gears got it home checked the power steering pump which was fine and no at idle it makes a loud rattle noise at 1500-2000 rpm and when I drive it up to second gear haven’t got it above second out of fear for making it worse any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It put me in like what I could only describe as a limp mode on the high way killed the engine and retarded it to take it home so it lets me change gears until it does that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think you’re being ignorant I’m 18 and it’s my first manual car I don’t know much but that’s what happened

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is there a belt still attached on the accessory pulleys over on the passenger side? Did you overheat? Very hard to understand your description. Maybe some factual bullet points would help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
•belt is attached so are all the pulleys
• car didn’t over heat from what I saw (it was a 10 minute drive keep in mind)
• got in sixth with 1/4 throttle to not fuel starve engine got to about 100
• lost power steering got kicked out of gear and wouldn’t go in gear (acted like I killed it kinda)
• cut the engine and turned it back on acted fine drove it 5 minutes home
•steering got stiff on the way but nothing like the couple minutes before
• got home turned it off checked on it later no damage to the power steering pump
• the little oil fluid light is on ( oil has about 1000 miles till it need changed) wasn’t before
•Has a loud aggressive rattle noise that stops rarely
• noise happens around 1000-2000 rpm in neutral
• I can shift gears and drive it but the noise is still there

·
Rally Racer
2,522 Posts
If I were to change your word "rattle" to "knock" would it still fit what you are hearing?
If you lost oil (especially on a pull) the outlook is grim. Any time "loud aggressive rattle noise" is used in context of an engine its bad news. Combine that with an illuminated oil light and...well. ?

Well know in a second if you post a video with decent sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked dip stick last 500 miles level was good rechecked today virtually nothing would post a video I took but my phone won’t let me I’ll try to work around that and it would match the sound to a point if you replaced it with knocking but it sounds more like rattling

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have virtually no oil you might have lost oil through a leak somewhere and ran the engine without oil. You can't do that very long. The rattle might be crankshaft bearings or rod bearings or both due to lack of lubrication.

You could drain the oil and see how much is left and compare that to the spec for your car under "capacities" in the owner's manual. If it needs 4 quarts and you only have one, you probably damaged the engine. If you had 3 out of 4 you probably did not damage it due to low oil. I can't say about what would happen if you only have 2 quarts left but I would think the oil light would have come on before then. If you drove it while the oil light was on you were asking for trouble. The owner's manual will tell you to not drive it if the light comes on. Before the light stays on, it will come on intermittently when you're driving around tight curves. At that point you're getting close to damaging the engine.

If you were going 3,000 miles between oil changes and not losing oil, then you suddenly developed a leak. Possibly the oil drain plug wasn't tightened when you last changed the oil (a good reason to do it yourself instead of trusting some oil change place to do it right). Checking every 500 miles sounds like a good practice but if that's what you've been doing and your vehicle doesn't burn oil, then something suddenly happened.

If you drain the oil and tell us how many quarts are left, we might know more. But a rattling sound is like what happened to me when I suddenly lost oil on the highway and the crankshaft bearings seized. It can be fixed, but not cheaply unless you do it yourself. I did one and while I don't want to rebuild another engine, I learned a lot and gained a lot of respect for what's inside an engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll add that it's possible you only messed up the camshaft bearings. That isn't as major as the cranksahft. The oil sensor in many cars is often at the camshaft, which is near the top of the engine and the first to lose oil pressure when the oil level is low.

If you messed up some bearings, I hope it's the camshaft and not the crankshaft. I replaced a single overhead camshaft once. It owuld be a lot less work or less money than the other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took my speed6 out for a little zoom zoom action and I lost power steering and it wouldn’t let me shift gears got it home checked the power steering pump which was fine and no at idle it makes a loud rattle noise at 1500-2000 rpm and when I drive it up to second gear haven’t got it above second out of fear for making it worse any ideas what it could be?
Joined 8 days ago, 18 and a Speed 6 in trouble, sounds about right.
I have a 2007 Speed 6. This car has old fashion belt drive power steering, not electric so if the power steering pump pulley is spinning you have to have power steering unless the pump bi-pass is stuck. I presume it has a bi-pass that engages for when steering input forces a turn to the physical stop. That seems really unlikely but a possibility unless the steering belt is gone.
The grammar is really hard to follow with this issue. No oil on dip stick? So the bottom of the car should be dripping with oil and on the ground, a certain amount will be retained by the belly pan if oil was lost down the road somewhere. A bright flash light will show oil down there if that is the case.
The last oil change could be the issue is oil is gone, the "O" ring for the oil filter left off and unthinkable, drain pug not tightened after last service. If the car still runs and oil isn't all gone, take off the oil filler cap, internal engine noise will be very apparent with it removed. It is noisy but not like a thrashing machine. If no oil, drain it, there will be metal in the drain oil and that is the end of that engine. Catch the oil in a kitchen household fine sieve for better inspection. Let oil out slowly to not over flow the sieve. I do my work with a very large commercial cookie sheet from Sams Club under the engine to catch messes or over flows that miss the oil catch container. Large laundry soap containers work well for catching oil and storage till taking to reclaim place.
This engine holds 6 quarts of oil. When it has sat over night or certain hours, the oil will always read very low. Re-stick the oil for a second try and make sure the car is level as possible for an accurate oil quantity check.
Though I have never messed with my shift linkage, it's all manual, I understand done by cables. So why it won't shift is a mystery. What kind of clutch action is going on seems the answer here. With out pushing the disc away from between the flywheel and pressure plate, lots of luck shifting it. I heard the 2006 car has heavy clutch action. What kind of shape was this car earlier. To trouble shoot, did it ever run right is where to start, not that it is broke now and need help. Has anything been done recently that could change things. This car is It is up to 15 years old depending on it's year and when purchased. How many pretend mechanics have toyed with this car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts