Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on the forums for a very long time, but ever if this topic's been brought up and I could use SEARCH! to find it, figured this was a good place to make a thread regardless.

CPE makes a great exhaust for the MS6 from what I see and hear. What's the reason you guys chose the single pipe design? It had me curious since the car, by design, splits to a dual pipe.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Haven't been on the forums for a very long time, but ever if this topic's been brought up and I could use SEARCH! to find it, figured this was a good place to make a thread regardless.

CPE makes a great exhaust for the MS6 from what I see and hear. What's the reason you guys chose the single pipe design? It had me curious since the car, by design, splits to a dual pipe.
[/b]

We chose to use a single exhaust pipe for two reasons: Power and cost.

Even though it may sounds counter-intuitive, a well designed single exhaust will always make more power than a dual exhaust on an engine with only one exhaust manifold. For v-engines, or flat engines, this rule doesn't hold because they have two exhaust banks.

The perfect exhaust system for turbocharged vehicles should have zero backpressure. But, anytime you change the direction of flow, say, in a bend or a transition from one pipe to two, you create a flow loss in the form of backpressure. This results in a slower spool time and less peak power. So, since there is only one exhaust manifold, the exhaust has to start as a single pipe at the collector. In order to make it a dual exhaust, you'd have to split the single pipe into two, and that creates a flow loss. So, we chose to use one pipe to allow the most unrestricted flow possible. To prove my point, our catback made 20+hp over the stock exhaust for these very reasons.

It also costs less to use one pipe as opposed to two. Adding another pipe to the kit (making it dual exhaust) costs more because there's more welding involved, more stainless steel, more hangers, and more time spent perfecting the fittment on the car. All this translates into a more expensive catback kit.

We're toying with the idea of offerring a pre-bent pipe to weld onto our existing single catback, but we probably won't pursue this idea until after SEMA at the earliest. There's actually a thread going about this now if you're curious:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=56284

Let me know if I can answer anymore of your questions weepul!

Jordan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts