Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, raining here in Austin (thank God) for the first time in weeks. However, I put about 50% throttle down from a start and it felt like the car had a mind of it's own, surging was the best way I can describe it. Threw my head forward, almost felt like there was something wrong with the clutch. Is this normal? Felt like the car bogged for 1-2 seconds, then came back. Is this what the traction control does? I thought it'd be less violent. Have to realize my last sports car was a modded 240Z with none of this computer control. Was used to lighting the tires and that was the end of it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's odd. My experience from the DSC has been quite the opposite. I've gunned it around a few curves in the rain, the rear end steps out nicely, but the DSC corrected the slip without the throttle missing a beat. The rear end kicked back in, and I was still accelerating.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DSC can be pretty violent if the car feels neccessary... completely cutting throttle...
[/b]
interesting, I've been in BMW's where the engagement of the traction control was more refined. Course I was not driving so can't speak to the throttle application he was giving. This freaked me out. Acutally thought there was a problem, thanks Wig

That's odd. My experience from the DSC has been quite the opposite. I've gunned it around a few curves in the rain, the rear end steps out nicely, but the DSC corrected the slip without the throttle missing a beat. The rear end kicked back in, and I was still accelerating.
[/b]
Hmmm, that's scary, my experience was nothing like that. Could there be a problem with the DSC in this car?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Like I said, it "can" be violent... I.E. if the car starts to slip while your on the gas, it is going to cut throttle, and then once traction grabs its going to apply throttle again, and with the amount of power the speed makes this can be "harsh"...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, it "can" be violent... I.E. if the car starts to slip while your on the gas, it is going to cut throttle, and then once traction grabs its going to apply throttle again, and with the amount of power the speed makes this can be "harsh"...
[/b]
I'm wondering if the fact is hasn't rained in so long that the road was SUPER slippery with all the oil coming up, and that may have been the culprit. At any rate, I'll drive some more and see if it's recurring

Thanks again

BTW we have the same car, +/- Nav and sunroof :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
With light slippage - giving it a little too much gas through a corner - the DSC comes in pretty mild.

On the other hand, if you make a sudden sharp turn while burying the throttle, the DSC comes on with a solid bitch slap and slows the car quickly. Going from WOT to no throttle is jarring.

It takes a significant shift of weight to cause this - my first experience was taking a sharp turn onto the flat at the bottom of a steep hill while on the gas. The car stayed straight but when the computer took over if felt like I'd lost control for a split second.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts