Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interesting...While reading the article on traction control at Edmunds referred to in another discussion on TCS, I noted this statement:

"As we mentioned above, ABS and traction control operate similarly. In fact, the ABS control unit is the basic "building block" for traction control and stability control. By adding modules and sensors, the system can be expanded to include these newer technologies."

It makes sense that ABS, TCS, and DSC are merely sensors in the same system. So, if one has a car with ABS and TCS, can they "upgrade" to DSC merely by obtaining and plugging in a sensor?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: DSC Upgrade?

But the sensors still don't "do it". They have to send their inbut to a controller of some sort (the main computer?) and then the computer must have software that know how to interpet those signals, and then it got to be connected to the ABS controller chip (software?). I think it would be very hard to add for your self.

Thoug - for the car manufacturer it must be as easy as you say. I wonder if they even have multiple sensors for each wheel - seems unnecissary to have one for each system (abs, antispinn ect) since they only mesure one thing - the wheels speed realtive to the others. For the manufactuer it must be only a matter of enabeling/disabeling things in the comuter.

When thinking of it thoug - wouln't TCS need some sort of G-meter to sence if the car starts to slide sideways in a corner for example - sliding doesn't really men that one weel must be spinning faster or something..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts