Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It wont cut power if you lose traction, basically it puts the driver in total contral under any circumstance... outside of racing I do not see any reaso nto have it off.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
? Outside of grandma driving I don't see any reason to have it On....

If you .. with it on .. for example attempt to launch the car. you burn the clutch... if you try to race the car.... you burn the clutch... it won't let the tires slip... and it lets the clutch ship instead....

the whole point of AWD is that it shifts power between all 4 tires to help get traction.... Traction Control is for 2 wheel drive vehicles IMO... that only have 2 tires to grip...

Anyway... I turn it off anytime I think i might be driving outside of grandma zone

·
Registered
98 Posts
It works surprisingly well in the twisties once you learn how to work with it. I find that if you throw the car into a corner and lift throttle a moment later it will all ow the rear to rotate, then put the power down when you've got it on your desired line and it just sticks and goes. If on the other hand you dive in too hot and try to power thru it just cuts the power on and off and you look like an idiot. In a constant radius turn you have to stay below the limit and it holds the line very well, get too close to the limit and it cuts power, do this without the DSC and the the car will be as fast as it is with the DSC on, to my surprise the DSC does seem to help in certain situations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you .. with it on .. for example attempt to launch the car. you burn the clutch... if you try to race the car.... you burn the clutch... it won't let the tires slip... and it lets the clutch ship instead....

[/b]

So are you talking about launching the car then? Or are you saying it burns the clutch when your cruising and have DSC on and then decide to floor the car?

Do you get more power once already in lets say 3rd gear and getting on the gas pedal with DSC off, or is it the same as with it on?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with the a couple more level headed responses....DSC on is good to use to learn the boundaries of your car. I like to use it on a few gravel roads I take. I actually can learn something new about the car with it on, because once it starts sliding too much, the brakes are applied and I come out of the slide. Now for higher speed runs, it has to be turned off.

Too many drivers think it's for weak drivers....those curves I now take a scary ass fast speeds because I learned the limits with it on.

As far as quick launches (1/4 mile times etc.) I'd recommend you take it off....once you lose traction to the wheels, it jumps in and assumes you are sliding.....but for normal driving, I recommend it on.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
:EDIT: Deleted another huge post .....

Basically I look at it like this... a "turbo" button... If i'm driving the car as a family 4d sedan... Leave it on... its safer.. hard to kill yourself with it on... unless you do something really stupid...

If you want to unload the power... launch quickly... make full use of the AWD from complete stops... bla bla bla... Turn DSC off =)

Pretty easy to tell the difference between on and off with DSC if you just play around with it from a complete stop... Try and "launch" or take off as quickly as possible.. floor the car in first gear right off the bat... You'll probably burn the clutch .. or just won't go anywhere.... Turn DSC off... do it again... all 4 tires break loose for a few seconds... you go flying forward like a bat outta hell...

But Like the other guys said... Its enabled by default when you start the vehicle... And the only reason you should ever really need to turn it off... is when using first gear.. and trying to make quick starts.... And you probably won't notice a difference either way at higher speeds...

·
Registered
273 Posts
"OFF" was my initial reaction, and the only time mine is on, is when I forget to turn it off.
But after thinking about it a bit. I suppose my habit is more like, it's usually on until I decide I want to drive more aggressively.

It really is a turbo button, I can REALLY feel the difference at any RPM in any gear.

I don't know how much it eats up your clutch though, the DSC controls the throttle by reducing the accelerator signal and applying the ABS (as far as I know, but I won't say I'm certain).

Either way, to answer your question:
DSC ON = Safer and fun.
DSC OFF = Funner and safe.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've gone on some twisty roads with it ON and I believe it probably saved my ass.

Honestly I prefer to keep it on in some situation just so I know I can be a bit more aggressive and something will save my ass I guess.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It doesnt eat up your clutch at all. It cuts timming, applys the brakes to the spinning wheels, as well as other electronic nanny controls. It, however, has no ability to control your clutch. That would be a mechanical function. Like it has been mentioned, learning to drive fast with it on, will make you a smoother driver. That generally will translate into being a faster driver. As for launching hard, leave it off.

You want to keep in mind that it is the Dynamic Stability Control. Not just Traction Control. So When driving in traffic its always on. There are alot of idiots on the road, and if I need to swerve to avoid one of them, its nice to have, especially on icy roads.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
As for the clutch... I know this... I've attempted to "launch" with DSC on... the car goes nowhere... I'll have it floored.... and the vehicle just putts forward... let off the gas.. come to a stop.... nice clutch smell... Has happened several times... Since then i've learned to disable DSC.... and no matter how hard i get on it... floor it.. whatever... either A) the car just goes (zoom-zoom)... or B) the tires break loose and... well.. the car goes...

with DSC off I never smell the clutch... I don't know enough about the vehicle or the system... But I honestly do think that the way DSC controls the vehicle... can cause the clutch to burn.... Or maybe it was just 2 freak "accidents" and since then everything (under the same driving) has been perfect *shrug*

But Like I and others have said... at high speeds.. you won't notice a difference on or off... unless you are doing some powerful manevering... in which case i'm sure its safer and better to have it on...

ANYWAY... it comes down to one basic thing IMO... DSC off for launching and fast starts from 1st and sometimes 2nd.... At higher gears and speeds.. DSC will probably be better in every situation... so leaving it on can only help...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take this scenerio. Your have DSC on and you are rolling in 1st gear at 15 mph. Then you decide to floor the car. This should not burn your clutch at all. Same thing with DSC off correct? You only burn the clutch by riding it or doing a soft launch or hard launch. Once your foot is off the clutch pedel it shouldnt matter with DSC on or off about burning it correct?

·
Registered
343 Posts
[/b]

Um....Not trying to be a D1ck or anything but...

The clutch is one of the few "Mechanical" functions left to the driver to control- you cannot (in out cars) control the clutch with anything else but your foot.
The DSC cuts timing, apply's brakes, prevents you from losing control of the car via too much accelleration, too hard braking, cornering etc etc. It does not in any circumstance maniplulate your clutch.

If you think it does and you think that im in fact the one who's wrong then by all means please post the proof. After-all, were talking about safety here and i would certainly need to know that DSC is controlling yet another function of my car..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that one too. The throttle is drive-by-wire, not the clutch. I'm guessing that the smell came from the brakes, not the clutch.

·
Registered
391 Posts
DSC is decent in the rain; it can correct a pending skid from time to time. In the snow, though, turn that crap off. Driving in the snow requires expecting the car to slide in particular ways, which the DSC prevents and then you go nowhere.

Other than that I think it's just a selling tool.

·
Registered
116 Posts
FWIW, the guy running the fastest times at the Zoom Zoom Live event in Boston in the morning rain on Sunday was running with DSC ON. He said it never bothered him. I guess if you're smooth enough, it pretty much leaves you alone. I generally leave mine on because it doesn't seem to make a difference until I need a safety net. That, and I hate the dashboard light that illuminates when its off.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Run with it off, especially with inconsistent road traction, and you will find yourself discussing broken rear differentail related parts with your dealer.

"On" should be norm, "off" only if you know what you and the car are doing, and know the mechanical risks (ex: speeding an inside front wheel to redline while barely moving).

·
Registered
273 Posts
Run with it off, especially with inconsistent road traction, and you will find yourself discussing broken rear differentail related parts with your dealer.

"On" should be norm, "off" only if you know what you and the car are doing, and know the mechanical risks (ex: speeding an inside front wheel to redline while barely moving).
[/b]
I can't say I agree with this.

I don't know why turning off the DSC would break your rear diff. The diff is designed to handle varying traction, thats the point. To keep all the power from transfering to the wheel with little or no traction.

I've found with DSC on, if I go over some bumps, the whole car jerks, especially when the bumps are only on one side of the car.
I believe the car is cutting throttle when the bumps apply to both wheels, and using ABS when the bumps are only under one wheel. It's very distracting and makes driving less predictable (for me anyway).

I live in California, so I have very satisfactory driving conditions most the year, having said that, my DSC is usually off.

·
Registered
684 Posts
So can someone here verify wat's the Pro and Cons of havin'
DSC/TSC on and off?
i've read all posts, but still a bit puzzled.......

·
Registered
273 Posts
So can someone here verify wat's the Pro and Cons of havin'
DSC/TSC on and off?
i've read all posts, but still a bit puzzled.......
[/b]
Basically DSC is a safety feature. When it's raining or you find yourself often unable to control the car in a hard turn, DSC is here to save the day.

IMO, once you've familiarized yourself with the car and can predict it's behavior, DSC isn't needed and you can fully control the car yourself. IMO, with DSC off you have more consistent power to the wheels which means faster acceleration.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts