Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 05 6s 24k with a mtx. From time to time upon startup after the car has been sitting for a few hours i hear for a split second what sounds like the valve train not getting oil. this happens cold or hot, oil level is fine. as anyone experianced any thing similar or am i hearing something else

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Is it kind of a grinding sound? If so then its your starter motor. Dealer should either cleani t or just replace it under warranty for you. Happens to all the 6s MTXs eventually.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it isn't the loud quick squeal for the starter hanging up as they suggested the first thing I would do is change the oil filter. It sounds like the antidrainback valve in the filter may not be working correctly allowing some oil drain back out of the filter and a somewhat dry startup for a split second.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am due for an oil change, i also used a K & N filter last time. I'll keep an ear open after i change the oil, thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Does it usually occur immidietly after u stop cranking? That would be the starter not disengaging right away, mines starting to do that =(

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have a 05 6s 24k with a mtx. From time to time upon startup after the car has been sitting for a few hours i hear for a split second what sounds like the valve train not getting oil. this happens cold or hot, oil level is fine. as anyone experianced any thing similar or am i hearing something else
[/b]

What weight oil do you use?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Does it usually occur immidietly after u stop cranking? That would be the starter not disengaging right away, mines starting to do that =(
[/b]
i get that sound when I start my car. i took it to the dealer but they can't reproduce it. So my car still is doing it once in a while.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had the grinding problem with my starter motor ... it usually happens during morning startups when the car has been sitting for a while ...

G

·
I just got a used 6 from a local dealer with 53000 mi, and my car just started making that start up noise, it does sound like the starter is getting hung up to me but I have never owned a Mazda before, and I was thinking about taking it up to the new Mazda dealer they just opened by my house. Are there any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have my car at the dealer today and they couldn't reproduce the "starter" squeal sound. They want me to try at reproduce it when I pick it up...It won't happen.

It occurs almost every morning when I start up... :irate:

We'll see if I can convince them that it is the starter...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts