Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove a new Speed 3. I was honestly let down in the end as it was NOT what it was talked up to be. The suspension was very good, but the power wasn't anything phenominal. Also, the interior was just not as nice as the 6, and offered a lot less of the little things that make the 6 great. I will be keeping the 6S for a long time now, I was starting to have some doubts as to how nice my 6 is, but driving the 3 just re-confirmed that the 6 is a keeper!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Today I drove a new Speed 3. I was honestly let down in the end as it was NOT what it was talked up to be. The suspension was very good, but the power wasn't anything phenominal. Also, the interior was just not as nice as the 6, and offered a lot less of the little things that make the 6 great. I will be keeping the 6S for a long time now, I was starting to have some doubts as to how nice my 6 is, but driving the 3 just re-confirmed that the 6 is a keeper!
[/b]
Its supposed to have over 250 horse. In that little sucker, it doesnt feel like alot of power? How?

But as the 3 for a car, its cramped and doesnt feel as solid as the 6 thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
[/b]
Hmmm, well, it's nice you do like the 6 more but maybe you just had a bad experience. I agree with the interior, but you can't go wrong with that much hp to a front-wheel drive vehicle. The 6 is WEAK compared to the SPEED3, but the SPEED6, now that's a different story being AWD.

·
Registered
166 Posts
[/b]
I agree with your review. I just drove a Speed3 this morning(if you go buy yourself and not w/your friends, they grab the keys instantly) and drove a speed6 right after. Coming from a 6i, I just definitely cannot justify another car payment(10000+).
Pros:
1-2nd gear is soooo much better then the Mazda6 and the Speed 6
Dealer had it for 22,000
Comes with Aux in and can get pretty good gas mileage
Rear lights look awesome!!
3rd gear puts a dirty grin on your face that says "Try me"

Cons
Cramped
Plastics look and feel flimsy and cheap compared to the speed6(which has nice touches)
The only fun gear is 3rd and by that time, there is some idiot who pulls in front of you forcing you to slam on your brakes or a radar gun is around the corner.
Front wheel drive

Sure its a nice car to have but to pay more insurance and another payment, I dunno. They did offer me a competitive offer on a Speed 6. They were going to give me 15,000 for my 06 6i(what I payed for it including taxes) and going to sell a base speed6 for 20,000+ttt. I was very tempted but the clutch of the speed6(06) was a little too notchy for me. For some reason, I could not shift nearly as smooth as I did in the speed3. But wow, the Speed6 is nice w/AWD but I am afraid that I will break an axle or something.

Both the Speed6 and Speed3 were base models. I think I will keep my 06 6i 5-speed for a lot longer-still catches up to my friends spec-v on the drag strip and gets 30mpg.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i honestly like the MS3 more than the MS6. maybe that's b/c my MS6 was a pile of donkey doo doo and is no longer in my hand b/c of that.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
^^ How come? What happened?
[/b]
bad a/c compressor(guessing it was part of the a/c), busted rear axle just more hassle than it was worth. so i god rid of it for my 6 hatch.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
[/b]
i wasn't looking into trading in my 6 for a new car, but i did test drive that speed3 as well. I dunno, the looks just kinda throw me off because they don't appeal to me. almost like a chick car, it's cute but nothing beefy like a 6.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
i wasn't looking into trading in my 6 for a new car, but i did test drive that speed3 as well. I dunno, the looks just kinda throw me off because they don't appeal to me. almost like a chick car, it's cute but nothing beefy like a 6.
[/b]
That cute chick car can run circles around your 3.0 V6 engine....

·
Registered
706 Posts
I find it funny someone else thinks the 6 has a nicer, more quality feeling interior than the 3. I got bashed by folks swearing the 3 to be superior to all...... For some reason, Mazda3's have outstanding resale and auction value though. Probably because the new Civic is just whack. They have an awful dash, and hard plastic inside.
I will say I love my GTI overall, and with a Revo software upgrade, I'm sure a Mazdaspeed3 won't just walk away from me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I find it funny someone else thinks the 6 has a nicer, more quality feeling interior than the 3. I got bashed by folks swearing the 3 to be superior to all...... For some reason, Mazda3's have outstanding resale and auction value though. Probably because the new Civic is just whack. They have an awful dash, and hard plastic inside.
I will say I love my GTI overall, and with a Revo software upgrade, I'm sure a Mazdaspeed3 won't just walk away from me.
[/b]

I've sat in the GTI, and it's nothing special either, it's sure no Infiniti. Yes the speed 3 has more plastic than the mazda 6 but it's done very tastefully and it's solid. The dash look is subjective but I love the layout and the guages. I agree the car does have a 'cuteness' factor though but it's not too 'girly' like the Miata or Scion TC. IMO, aside from the DSG option, the GTI is overrated. And yes you have to chip it for it to keep up.

·
Registered
898 Posts
[/b]
I'll tell you what. I think the 6 is one of the most underrated cars on the market today, and although Mazda has done a great car, they don't have a clue as to how to market it. If people knew better, the CamCord wouldn't be the best-sellers they are today. Here's the story: I was thinking of getting myself a "toy car" (something to enjoy on the weekend or drive to Jordan or Dubai on my annual) and I looked at a lot of cars within my budget/price range. The last car I tested last week was a Jag X-type. They had a 10% rebate and the installements were reasonable (this is a leftover car.) And guess what? I was utterly disappointed with the car, both in terms of performance and build quality. The interior and switchgear felt like it came right out of a Taurus, and rattles and squeaks and loose panels abound. Though it had a 2.5 V6 and AWD, didn't drive, steer or stop as well as my 6 (which is an i, by the way.) I normally beat Crown Vics/Marquises (which have twice the eninge displacement and cylinders as my 6) while in the Jag I was beaten by a 10-15-year old Crown Vic - twice - and a 2001 Camry!
What do you think I ended up getting for a "toy car"?
Another 6, with a manual. I take delivery Monday.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The one thing I hate the most about the 3 is the fact that the radio display in the dash is regular color, and not red like it is in the 6. I know that's weird, but it really bugs me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts