Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's sister was looking at the MS3 so I went along to test drive it too. My first thought ,looks were very nice about what I expected. Actually I really liked it until the I got the the rear doors and it reminded me of a station wagon.( not a fan of hatchbacks) I feel the sedan would have been more appropriate for a Speed vehicle,none the less a nice looking car. Interior was nice a tad smaller than the MS6 but good head room. Now for the test drive , first thought the MS6 has more torque out of the box probably because of the AWD. Any way power was real good,we took it on the highway and once it got going the was no stopping it also handles great. Over all I think its a really nice car with great power a EVO or STI no way , comp for the WRX ?not without AWD, Better than the GTI and Civic SI ? definately. AWD would have put this car over the top and taken sales from Subaru big time.

I have always loved the ProtegeSpeed , but eneded up with a SVTF because they marked up the MPS by $2000 .Then a few months later it was discounted $6000, like whats happening to the MS6 and will also happen with the MS3. So 6-7 months down the road the MS3 will be $4-$5000 less once the hype calms down and will then be an outstanding value. I don't know why the Speed series dosen't get the respect it deserves. I feel the only way that will happen is if Mazda comes out with an RX8 or RX7 speed. With the SVT series only the Mustang really sold well.

Final thoughts, Is it competition for the MS6 ? no two totally different cars. Would I buy the MS3 ? Yes ,and most definately when the price comes down $4-$5000. Would I trade my MS6 for it? Nope, Nice car though. If I was kid and was thinking about a GTI or Civic SI I would get the MS3 instead.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I don't think the MS3 will ever be as heavily discounted as the MS6. Sure there will be discounts, but all the press and hype will keep it selling well IMO. Plus, as you said, it's a different vehicle than the MS6. The target audience exists for the car. And the pricing point is right given all of the competition in that class. I believe it will finally be the vehicle that puts Mazdaspeed on the map. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think the MS3 will ever be as heavily discounted as the MS6. Sure there will be discounts, but all the press and hype will keep it selling well IMO. Plus, as you said, it's a different vehicle than the MS6. The target audience exists for the car. And the pricing point is right given all of the competition in that class. I believe it will finally be the vehicle that puts Mazdaspeed on the map. :)
[/b]
^^ Yeah, I agree with this guy. The MS3's are flying off the shelves because of the target audience (you even see the car in the newest NFS). And while I'm not a fan of the wagon look myself I would have been surprised if they had offered it in a sedan since they already offer the same powerplant in the MS6.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The 3 will ALWAYS be less discounted than the 6, ESP. the hatchback.

I remember when I first got my 6i, that thing was discounted around 5k off msrp but when trying to get a Mazda 3 hatch, they would barely budge. They told me that the Mazda 3 hatch was one of their top sellers. This may be partial bs, but for the most part it is true, even the Mazda 3 sedan sold for at a pretty massive discount.

The hatchback will always sell.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Judging from the posts on the forums, the ms3 is selling well and I seriously doubt it will be discounted anything like the ms6 was. In fact, I won't be surprised to see the msrp go up on future models. Only the greedy dealers that have marked it up way over msrp are getting stuck and even those are not gonna last long. I chose it mainly because it was a hatch/wagon and wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I needed the utility that much. And it has worked out great. Plus I like smaller cars.

If launched right, (approx 2-3 k rpms), it's very quick out of the box however be prepared for some wheel spin and torque steer. The added weight and cost of AWD would've been bad for this car and especially bad for the MS6 sales imo. However if it proves to be a big hit, then Mazda could certainly consider adding it in the future but for now, it's definately not needed.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
If there is ever any kind of rebates on the Speed3 like there's been on our elegant Speed6's, I think i'll be buying one at the end of this coming year. It seems like a hot little car, I wonder if the gas mileage is any better than the speed6?

·
Registered
147 Posts
If there is ever any kind of rebates on the Speed3 like there's been on our elegant Speed6's, I think i'll be buying one at the end of this coming year. It seems like a hot little car, I wonder if the gas mileage is any better than the speed6?
[/b]
I bought my MS6 with the heavy discounts and rebates... from a $28.900 sticker price to a $22.500 before taxes and dealer fees I think is a bargain, now on the other hand I dont like the heavy discounts cuz it makes the MS6 look bad in the market and the worst part is the trade in value will suffer as well.
The perfect example is my 2004 RX8, I took this car 1 1/2 year later after I leased it to Carmax to get it appraised and the came back to me with $15.500 (this is a 2004 RX8 GT loaded) Thank good I leased this car cuz if not I wolud be miserable right now.
I think the MS3 will do very well, Hatchbacks are coming back and it is definetly a better buy than a Civic Si or a VW GTI.

I have not driven the MS3 yet, when I was buying my MS6 they had only 1 in the lot and it was sold but the sales guy told me that he drove it and he said it felt faster than the MS6 but the handling is not comperable (AWD baby) he said its a very nice car for the price and that it will BLOW OUT any Civic Si or GTi that come along.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I bought my MS6 with the heavy discounts and rebates... from a $28.900 sticker price to a $22.500 before taxes and dealer fees I think is a bargain, now on the other hand I dont like the heavy discounts cuz it makes the MS6 look bad in the market and the worst part is the trade in value will suffer as well.
The perfect example is my 2004 RX8, I took this car 1 1/2 year later after I leased it to Carmax to get it appraised and the came back to me with $15.500 (this is a 2004 RX8 GT loaded) Thank good I leased this car cuz if not I wolud be miserable right now.
I think the MS3 will do very well, Hatchbacks are coming back and it is definetly a better buy than a Civic Si or a VW GTI.

I have not driven the MS3 yet, when I was buying my MS6 they had only 1 in the lot and it was sold but the sales guy told me that he drove it and he said it felt faster than the MS6 but the handling is not comperable (AWD baby) he said its a very nice car for the price and that it will BLOW OUT any Civic Si or GTi that come along.
[/b]
You are incorrect. The released residual for the MS6 GT is 63%/47% after 3/5 years, which is better than most BMWs, Benz's, Lexuses, etc. The discounts are not affecting the residual value at all. The discounts are due to the need to sell the remaining cars within the current (which has past) auto year. Mazda knows that they didn't advertise the car so well. I doubt they will make that same mistake for the 07's.

·
Registered
305 Posts
[/b]

I agree - the MS3 has a wider target market than the MS6. What car doesn't? The MS6 is focused on about as narrow a market as you could create. The young performance crowd are looking at the MS3 and when compared to the others in the small car FWD perfomance category, the MS3 is clearly the winner. I don't think Mazda is goig to have any trouble selling their yearly target.

Another poster mentioned the added weight of AWD and the impact on the car - sorry, but I don't buy that one. For somewhere around 200lbs, they could have over come the few short comings of the MS3 (ie; torque steer / wheel hope, the need to detune the 1st couple of gears). An AWD version of the MS3 would be a killer (IMO).
And after saying that, there is the possiblility that the costs associated with introducing a new AWD drive platform for the MS3 may have put this car into a price bracket Mazda was trying to avoid. And the proofs in the pudding - they are obviously priced right and selling out instantly without AWD.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The Mazda3 platform is already AWD capable. It is the same platform used in the Volvo S40... which has an AWD option. Also the JDM Axcela (Mazda3) has an AWD option.

Considering it's direct competitors are the GTI, Civic Si, Cobalt SS and soon the Caliber SRT-4, FWD fits the market just fine. Measuring it up against the WRX is just gravy as it costs significantly more (a stripped WRX costs what the fully loaded MS3 does). So between target market, weight and definitely added costs... there was no need to add AWD to the MS3. It is supposed to be a "hot hatch"...

·
Registered
305 Posts
The Mazda3 platform is already AWD capable. It is the same platform used in the Volvo S40... which has an AWD option. Also the JDM Axcela (Mazda3) has an AWD option.[/b]
I knew that :slap: - I own a Mazda3. Thanks for pointing that out :)

And you are right - it is a hot hatch. I just don't like hot hatches (FWD performance) - I guess it's my age and bias coming through - is it any wonder I chose the MS6???.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are incorrect. The released residual for the MS6 GT is 63%/47% after 3/5 years, which is better than most BMWs, Benz's, Lexuses, etc. The discounts are not affecting the residual value at all. The discounts are due to the need to sell the remaining cars within the current (which has past) auto year. Mazda knows that they didn't advertise the car so well. I doubt they will make that same mistake for the 07's.
[/b]
Let me tell you buddy that you are incorrect. Dealers and Financing Company such as Mazda American Credit can INFLATE residual values to be able to sell or lease their cars as fast as possible, I'm in the Auto insurance business and I know about ACV (actual Cash Value) and when ever a car manufacturer gives incentives (rebates) to move vehicles from their lots this affects the value of those vehicle purchased at a higher price, why?, because now you can buy the same car cheaper than before so who is to say they have to pay more for you're used MS6 when they can buy a new one cheaper? Try this out by taking you're MS6 to a Carmax today and you will see how the value of you're car has gone down because of the rebates. Its simple math.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Let me tell you buddy that you are incorrect. Dealers and Financing Company such as Mazda American Credit can INFLATE residual values to be able to sell or lease their cars as fast as possible, I'm in the Auto insurance business and I know about ACV (actual Cash Value) and when ever a car manufacturer gives incentives (rebates) to move vehicles from their lots this affects the value of those vehicle purchased at a higher price, why?, because now you can buy the same car cheaper than before so who is to say they have to pay more for you're used MS6 when they can buy a new one cheaper? Try this out by taking you're MS6 to a Carmax today and you will see how the value of you're car has gone down because of the rebates. Its simple math.
[/b]
The residual value was inflated in order for the cars to sell, but the 3/5 year won't change much from the values that have been released. Also, the GT was something like 4-6% higher than the Sport.

·
Registered
305 Posts
[/b]
I think most of us are referring to the value of the car in 3 - 5 yrs (when we may be looking to sell / trade it). Looking that far out, you will not be able to compare a limited edition used car to it's "New" value. If I'm looking at this the wrong way, someone please jump in and correct me.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think most of us are referring to the value of the car in 3 - 5 yrs (when we may be looking to sell / trade it). Looking that far out, you will not be able to compare a limited edition used car to it's "New" value. If I'm looking at this the wrong way, someone please jump in and correct me.
[/b]
You are right. Inflated or deflated new values will not impact the residual values in 3/5 years.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The warranty goes to shit for '07.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
[/b]
True that. Better to buy a 06 with 3K-5K miles right now than an 07. Still have around the same 3 years, maybe a few months more, but you'll get more miles.

·
Registered
531 Posts
[/b]

I get about 20-21 mpg in 90% city driving. Not too bad. Not sure what the speed6 guys are getting.

[/b]

Yeah they reduced it to a 3 year/36 basic bumper to bumper but the powertrain and emissions are 60,000/80,000 miles respectfully (limited). Not the best but the engine, tranny and turbo are covered under the powertrain, so it's not too bad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
the engine, tranny and turbo are covered under the powertrain, so it's not too bad.
[/b]
Are you sure the turbo is covered under powertrain?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts