Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just my luck, I got a speeding ticket 1 day before going to the track. With that being said does anyone have experience fighting off a speeding ticket with this car or any?

·
Rally Racer
1,760 Posts
Just my luck, I got a speeding ticket 1 day before going to the track. With that being said does anyone have experience fighting off a speeding ticket with this car or any?
Oops.

In the past I have delayed and extended. I enter a plea of not guilty and request a court date. I waive my 6th amendment rights and decline a speedy trial. Before the trial date I request an extension. Before the extension expires, I request another extension due to extenuating circumstances. At this point you may be a year or year and a half out. I then show up to traffic court and hope the officer does not show. If they do not show (and they haven't to date, likely because they forgot about the original incident) I then decline the motion for issuance of subpoena. At that point it is, case dismissed, with the incident stricken from record.
Your results may vary.

Generally what @Byakuya said is the best way to go.

Remember to always politely ask to see evidence of the speed for which you are being cited. If you are shown an electronic device then write the serial number down so you can check calibration records if you enter a request for discovery.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You can play the delay game BUT.....

1. MOST jurisdictions have a "plead guilty with explanation" or similar option, which gives you zero points AND a half-fine, PROVIDED you (1) have no other violations within some period, usually 12 months AND (2) you get no FUTURE violation within some period (usually 12 months.)

The risk in requesting that is that if you DO get a second violation BOTH COUNT. Further, if you have a previous on your record during the time in question you can't use that option and if you lie odds are very high you'll get caught (then you're REALLY in trouble) as your record has likely already been pulled and is on the judge's bench.

If you request a court date then delay is in your favor because the cop has the original summons date on the ticket BUT he may not be paying attention on any reschedules -- and if he doesn't show then you can move to have the ticket dismissed, and it will be for lack of the person facing you, since you have the right to face your accuser.

The bad news is that if you fight it and lose the fine is considerably higher because costs get added to it and there's no "half-fine" option in that event.

Used to be (and may still be in some jurisdictions) with the above law you STILL had an option in that you could insist that the judge hear the case on that day -- and decide whether you wanted to do that on the morning of, when you showed up. If the cop wasn't there then the choice was obvious; if you contested it the ticket got thrown out. However, that's gotten less effective since they now tend to group all the summonses for a given month or so into the same day so odds are the cop WILL be there.

IMHO you always show up; pleading guilty by mail is usually the worst of all possible options since it's no less-bad to show up and see if the cop is there first. If you can do the "half-fine, guilty with explanation" thing your option to do it may require an appearance on the hearing date or, in some jurisdictions, you can do it at the clerk's window -- but you usually do have to at least go to the courthouse to take that option. IMHO if that option exists, and you WERE speeding, it is usually your best outcome since there's no driving record impact (thus no insurance impact) -- provided you don't get another ticket during the "lockout" period. But if you do -- you're hosed as both will show up on your record and that's nearly 100% odds-on to get your insurance non-renewed.

These days odds are high he's got you with a laser. There were some pretty good defenses in many cases with radar tickets (centered around the unit returning other than the claimed target, mostly) but those are basically gone with laser tickets since the cop actually aims it *at your car* much like he would a firearm and the beam width is extremely narrow. In addition the tuning/calibration issues, which were formerly pretty good defenses, are mostly inapplicable when it comes to laser speed guns. Basically if he got you with a laser, and he shows up, you're cooked.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can play the delay game BUT.....

1. MOST jurisdictions have a "plead guilty with explanation" or similar option, which gives you zero points AND a half-fine, PROVIDED you (1) have no other violations within some period, usually 12 months AND (2) you get no FUTURE violation within some period (usually 12 months.)

The risk in requesting that is that if you DO get a second violation BOTH COUNT. Further, if you have a previous on your record during the time in question you can't use that option and if you lie odds are very high you'll get caught (then you're REALLY in trouble) as your record has likely already been pulled and is on the judge's bench.

If you request a court date then delay is in your favor because the cop has the original summons date on the ticket BUT he may not be paying attention on any reschedules -- and if he doesn't show then you can move to have the ticket dismissed, and it will be for lack of the person facing you, since you have the right to face your accuser.

The bad news is that if you fight it and lose the fine is considerably higher because costs get added to it and there's no "half-fine" option in that event.

Used to be (and may still be in some jurisdictions) with the above law you STILL had an option in that you could insist that the judge hear the case on that day -- and decide whether you wanted to do that on the morning of, when you showed up. If the cop wasn't there then the choice was obvious; if you contested it the ticket got thrown out. However, that's gotten less effective since they now tend to group all the summonses for a given month or so into the same day so odds are the cop WILL be there.

IMHO you always show up; pleading guilty by mail is usually the worst of all possible options since it's no less-bad to show up and see if the cop is there first. If you can do the "half-fine, guilty with explanation" thing your option to do it may require an appearance on the hearing date or, in some jurisdictions, you can do it at the clerk's window -- but you usually do have to at least go to the courthouse to take that option. IMHO if that option exists, and you WERE speeding, it is usually your best outcome since there's no driving record impact (thus no insurance impact) -- provided you don't get another ticket during the "lockout" period. But if you do -- you're hosed as both will show up on your record and that's nearly 100% odds-on to get your insurance non-renewed.

These days odds are high he's got you with a laser. There were some pretty good defenses in many cases with radar tickets (centered around the unit returning other than the claimed target, mostly) but those are basically gone with laser tickets since the cop actually aims it *at your car* much like he would a firearm and the beam width is extremely narrow. In addition the tuning/calibration issues, which were formerly pretty good defenses, are mostly inapplicable when it comes to laser speed guns. Basically if he got you with a laser, and he shows up, you're cooked.

Lots of great information here, thank you for the detailed response! I may just bite the bullet and take traffic school and pay the fine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Oops.

In the past I have delayed and extended. I enter a plea of not guilty and request a court date. I waive my 6th amendment rights and decline a speedy trial. Before the trial date I request an extension. Before the extension expires, I request another extension due to extenuating circumstances. At this point you may be a year or year and a half out. I then show up to traffic court and hope the officer does not show. If they do not show (and they haven't to date, likely because they forgot about the original incident) I then decline the motion for issuance of subpoena. At that point it is, case dismissed, with the incident stricken from record.
Your results may vary.

Remember to always politely ask to see evidence of the speed for which you are being cited. If you are shown an electronic device then write the serial number down so you can check calibration records if you enter a request for discovery.

Good luck.

This is what I have done . Worked both times.
It's amazing how few officers stay in one place/on the same force especially in smaller towns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
idrive
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing