Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do they all not want to shift when the engen is cold/ are is it just my car, i owned the car for about two weeks now, i got 550 miles on it i cant stop driving it ,my wife said i spend so much time with the car i should just sleep in it two, have any of you had the same problem, get back to me, oh yeh i have a 6s fully loaded with every opt and almost every eccesery it is lapis blue , ps do the models over there come with the clear tail lights, and do they have hid head lights im from the us. sorry for the writing im at work and im writing this between cliants

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reading Topic: driving the car cold

I was gonna say...that little key down between the , and / keys is for separating thoughts...just a suggestion

·
Registered
736 Posts

I believe he is saying that he has owned the car for two weeks now and that he is experiencing a problem with it not wanting to shift in the cold. He is asking if anyone else here is/has been having this problem. He also noted that his wife said that if he likes driving it so much that maybe he should move into it. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: drivi

Not a problem if you know what you're looking for.
Most new cars, in automatic trans, DO retard cold shifts and let the engine rev higher before shifting.
This is to get the engine warmed up faster so that it can reach proper operating temperature quicker so that emissions are more quickly and better controlled.
As have you probably noticed, the shifts come sooner in the rpm range as the engine warms?

If so, don't worry about it. However, the shifts should still be smooth just delayed and sometimes, just sometimes, they feel a bit slower.

Tome

·
Registered
683 Posts
Replying to Topic 'driving the car cold'

yeah my truck does this when its really really cold out and my truck has been sitting out all night at work... basically though it just seems to lock out the O/D everything else seems to work and shift normally.

·
Registered
322 Posts

ah ok, I usually just forced it to change by putting it into activematic mode :p maybe I'll let it do it's 'retarding' thing to make the engine warm up quicker ;)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That was unfair... ;)

As stated, many automatics refuse shifting until the oil in the trannie heats up a bit and revs come up.

If it's a problem for you, you should ask your dealership to exchange the oil in the trannie for something better.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

If it's really cold in the morning I will usually shift over into the manual mode and let the car rev higher than I usually do.. As explained before it will warm the car up faster which does 2 things...

1) Gets the heat going faster :) and...

2) once the car is warmed up and you switch it back to auto it should make your shift points occur more conservatively (right around 2-4k RPMs).

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
12 Posts

I wouldn't blame the auto gear box since having to drive a car in extremely cold conditions (between -30 and -40 Celsius); which we have to do here in Finland every winter... I've always had a manual box (as 95% of Finnish cars) and it feels like your gear box is filled with toffy - could you imagine how it feels like :p

·
Registered
7 Posts

Too bad your car didn't come with commas and periods :) good heavens! Trade in the blows system for some punctuation.. i almost passed out reading that. :)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

The colder it is out side, the thicker your tranny fluid is going to be, and the shifting is going to be a bit harder because of that. It is nothign to worry about, it is normal, cars have been doing it for years.

·
Registered
230 Posts

It's the same with manuals anyway - it's much more difficult to shift when it's cold out then after the engine has reached operating temperature (which, thankfully, it does rather quickly, even when it's -20C or colder out). I'm very impressed with the speed at which the 6 warms up - it was -17C this morning, and it took only 6 or 7 minutes to get up to full operating temperature, which is certainly nice.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

The thicker fluid can't move valves in the trans valve body smoothly until some heat can be built up to thin it.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

Originally posted by MARKPMM

The thicker fluid can't move valves in the trans valve body smoothly until some heat can be built up to thin it.[/b]
You betcha... its always better not to "push" your car until it warms up

·
Registered
680 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: driving the car cold

I always let mine run until the coolant temp guage moves, and never have problems. I can tell that everything runs better once it warms up, and it makes sense that it would (i.e. thinner oil, thermal expansion and "tightening" of parts). Between C and H is your NORMAL operating temperature. That's the range that's best for your car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts