Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered that my driver's side carpet in my '04 6s hatchback is getting wet whenever it rains. Did some testing last night with a hose and discovered that the sunroof drain is clear, as is the windshield drain hole. However, behind the windshield drain hole, there is a channel through the sheet metal that opens to below. Water that goes down this way comes into the driver footwell, emerging from behind the fuse box.

After researching on here and on Google, I'm suspecting the hood release cable where it passes through the firewall. This is buried pretty high up behind the dash and is blocked by a lot of wiring harnesses and electronics. I'm not sure how to get to it to check it out and possibly replace it. I'm thinking about taking the fender off to try to get to it that way, since the amount of electronics on the inside kind of scares me. Can anyone shed some light on how to get to the cable? Any other areas I should check out?

On a related note: I can see wiring connector down through the windshield drain hold. Considering the amount of water that comes down this hole, I'm a little surprised by this. Can anyone confirm if this is normal?

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an oldish thread, but this just happened to me, the front/rear driver's side carpets were soaked because the grommet came loose. Yes, even that little issue will bring in a lot of water, because all the water that washes off the windshield is dumping onto the hood latch cable, and some of it trickles down into the car.

If you put the drivers seat all the way back, you can get down by the pedals and follow the hood release cable from the lever to the firewall. The grommet on mine was loose, it was on the cable on the inside of the car. I slid the grommet down towards the lever, put a healthy blob of silicone on the backside of it to help it seal and glue it in place a bit so it wouldnt pop out again. I was able to push it back in with a long flathead screwdriver.

Now it's time to remove the carpet and let the padding underneath dry before it gets moldy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've discovered that my driver's side carpet in my '04 6s hatchback is getting wet whenever it rains. Did some testing last night with a hose and discovered that the sunroof drain is clear, as is the windshield drain hole. However, behind the windshield drain hole, there is a channel through the sheet metal that opens to below. Water that goes down this way comes into the driver footwell, emerging from behind the fuse box.

After researching on here and on Google, I'm suspecting the hood release cable where it passes through the firewall. This is buried pretty high up behind the dash and is blocked by a lot of wiring harnesses and electronics. I'm not sure how to get to it to check it out and possibly replace it. I'm thinking about taking the fender off to try to get to it that way, since the amount of electronics on the inside kind of scares me. Can anyone shed some light on how to get to the cable? Any other areas I should check out?

On a related note: I can see wiring connector down through the windshield drain hold. Considering the amount of water that comes down this hole, I'm a little surprised by this. Can anyone confirm if this is normal?

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
To really fix it right you gotta take that fender off. Here is my 2008 mazda6. I cut away a little metal to get to the grommet
easier. I used a ziptie to compress the retainers and pop the grommet In.. im gonna goop it up with silicone, inside and out and pop it back in. Its a pain pulling the fender off, but taking my interior apart and drying the carpet and pad out was worse. This design is incredibly stupid. All the windshield runoff literally waterfalls over those two grommets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This probably goes without saying but there's obviously two holes that should be sealed with silicone while youre in there. The one with no cable coming out is just a plug, but still just as capable of leaking. in fact, I think it also may be leaking in my case

1 - 6 of 6 Posts