Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
What i noticed when i was under my car was that there was a small hole cover by a masking tape, i simply put three more pieces of tape over that for more protection. This hole was 7 inches from the front tire , driver's side. Couldn't find the hole on the passenger side. I think this could be it since i also had water in my spare tire compartment .. about a good 2-3 inches worth of water . Went under neath the back and also found two same size holes covered with cheap permeable tape , and put more tape there , and no more water anywhere ever since!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Is this thread real? Who the heck installs a sunroof drain next to the fusebox (i.e. electrical current!!!)? And you bought the sunroof installation from someone else online? WTF?

Secondly, this is a reason why I simply cannot understand why people buy aftermarket sunroofs. Just buy a model with a sunroof instead of having one insalled afterwards!

This is clearly not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It COULD be the sunroof, but speaking from experience I can also suggest that it's the windshield. I bought a brand new car in 1993 and it was ok for a while, but about 6 months into ownership, my driver's side carpet got soaked every time I washed the car. Water was coming in the bottom of the windshield, down the firewall and into the footwell. Warranty. Definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm here to confirm it is the hood cable. in fact i guarantee it. I'm going through this right now. It is the hood release cable grommet that goes through the side section of the firewall into the space inside the fender. Search for the thread started under this title and you will see my post and a couple pictures:
Driver's Side Carpet Wet - Hood Release Grommet?
This design is so @#$%*^%!!! horrible i can't even. i mean...all the runoff from the windshield just pours over these grommets. AND, the water comes in right above the fuse panel. How can Mazda be so freaking stupid?????? or is it Ford I should be pissed at????

I spent several hours disassembling my interior, including removing the drivers side seat, so the carpet could be pulled up. i busted a couple clips in the process. Then I spent 3 full days mopping up water, then squeezing water out of the pad, and running a fan on it to get it to dry. i had water for a long time before I realized it so I also had to mitigate some surface rust and spray some rust oleum, too.

If you jam yourself under the dash and shine a light way up high, on top of the fuse panel you can see the grommet and the cable going out. The only way I can see of making sure you are fixing it correctly is to remove that fender. See my other post. Removing the fender wasn't the worst of this for me. Dealing with the interior was.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts