Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front and rear driver's side of my carpet always gets soaked whenever it rains a lot. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I have a hole in my car? I took it into the dealer yesterday, and they said they will do a water test to see if any water is coming in the car and they said they will charge me $184 just to do the water test and of course, I will have to pay the costs to repair the problem and replace the carpet. I really don't have the money to pay for these repairs. I'm hoping it's something that's Mazda's fault and it will be covered under warranty, but if not, I have to pay the $184 water test. Since I don't have the money to pay for this, do you think I should take the risk of getting the test done and pay the $184 to do the water test if it's not covered under warranty? My warranty expires March of 2008. Thank you in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would think that that would be covered by warranty. But if don't want to spend much money to find it, take a friend wih you to the car wash and have them spray your car around the doors, windshield, and back glass while you watch for leaks. Thats all the dealer is going to do for their $184 "water test".

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Press the dealer to fix it under warranty. If you still have nearly a year of warranty left, there's no logical reason for them to deny coverage on something like this.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They told me it's $92 per day and it usually takes 2 days to figure out the problem. They said if the problem is not covered under warranty, I have to pay $184 for the two days of labor. The last time I took it to a car wash was about a 1.5 years ago, and I didn't notice the carpet was wet. I noticed last summer that my back driver's side plastic floor mats were a little wet, but I thought it was from opening the doors when it was raining, so I didn't think anything of it. Then, about 5 months later, when I decided to vaccum my carpets, I pulled out the floor mats and it was dripping water. The carpet was completely soaked. I had no idea what the reason was, I thought maybe someone spilled water in my car. So I let it go. It dried up after a while. Then, recently last week, it rained for 3 days straight, and after that, I smelled a moldy smell and lifted the carpet and it was all wet. I hope it wasn't something I did that caused water to leak in. I really don't have money to pay for this. My tuition is $20,000 a year and I would hate to pay $184 for a "car wash" plus whatever it's going to cost to replace the carpet.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I agree Amy. They should fix this. unless you took a drill to your roof and are trying to trick them... i don't know what anyone could possibly do to make a car leak water. i don't remember, but do you have a sunroof? your drain hose may be clogged. its a chance they wouldn't cover it if that is the case. technically, Mazda has no control over if the hose gets clogged or not.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree Amy. They should fix this. unless you took a drill to your roof and are trying to trick them... i don't know what anyone could possibly do to make a car leak water. i don't remember, but do you have a sunroof? your drain hose may be clogged. its a chance they wouldn't cover it if that is the case. technically, Mazda has no control over if the hose gets clogged or not.[/b]
Yes, I have a sunroof, but it is an aftermarket sunroof. I hope it's not the sunroof, but now I'm afraid maybe it could be that? I guess I will be paying to repair the leak and carpets. :(

·
Registered
863 Posts
no way Mazda will fix it. even if they find what is wrong and it isn't related to the sunroof, they will most likely say it is. i would recommend going to the place that installed your sunroof. did they offer a warranty?

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is def. a dealer issue. How can a leaking sunroof even lead water to the carpets? Maybe the seats if that.

If it wasnt raining it could have been a leaking heater core, but since its raining it might be some plugs under the hood which may have gotten loose.

The sunroof has NOTHING. In order for them to not cover it under warranty, they have to prove the sunroof caused the leaks, which is highly doubtful.

Go to different dealers if you are having an issue. If your car is covered under warranty, charge you for a water test? Ask them if your car is supposed to come with watered carpets and see what they say =P

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was supposed to give them my car last week, but I ended up canceling my appointment because I got a job interview the day before and I could not afford to give up my car for a full week. I decided to test it myself, and I found out that the water is coming in from the roof somewhere. I first tested it by spraying the whole car except for the roof, nothing was wet. Then I sprayed the roof and that's when the carpet got wet. It doesn't leak on inside of roof and drips down on the seats or anything, it seems like the water is coming in from that seal that surrounds the outside roof and it drains under my driver's side carpet. I removed the door sill and lifted part of the carpet up and it had water under the carpet. I have a feeling that maybe the person who installed my sunroof caused this problem. I think when he reassembled my roof, he might have broken a seal or something and now the water drains under my carpet. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer now since it may be just that and I would be responsible for all charges. I don't think I will get it fixed, I don't want to spend a lot of money getting the roof fixed and replacing all carpets and paying for a water test. Thanks for all your help, guys!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if they guarantee their install or not because I purchased the sunroof online from someone else and I brought it into their shop to have them install it. I'm scared to go back to them because the owner of the shop seemed really mean. The installer was very nice, though. But I think it's the owner's decision if he will pay for the damages, and I highly doubt he will. I guess I will just have a leaky roof from now on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As odd as this may sound, have you done any other mods to the car, maybe tail lights??? My husband had this problem, he doesn't have a Mazda, but a VW GLI 1.8t, and had this same issue. Two factors were in play with water getting into his back seat and carpet and eventually on into the trunk. The first was, yes, his sunroof drains were clogged....took nothing more than some air pressure to clean them out. Second was his tail lights, he had replaced the OEM tail lights with TYC lights and the seal had come loose. Just a thought...... :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would think if the leak appears to be from the sunroof install and not the actual sunroof, the installer should be willing to work with you to resolve this.
I would take to them first and see what they say. You never know until until you ask. It sounds like you found the problem yourself which saves you the 194 to have the dealer tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had an issue with my OEM sunroof where the drain hose was completely OFF (disconnected - not clogged) and had water leaking on my front A-Pillar at the top where the felt joins the stiff plastic down the pillar ..... they reconnected it - no charge

So first off for you :

you need to identify what is the exact cause of your problem ?
- a clogged hose ?
- a disconnected hose ?
- might be no hose at all installed by the nice smilin' fellow ?

so this would mean taking apart the hard plastic A-Pillar and see exactly what's goin' on behind there

next step I would take :

once you know exactly what's goin' on , you're well equipped to argue your case - phsyched up & ready - goin'in to the Manager directly and firmly stating your newfound assesments with pics accompanied .
Then letting him know (NOT asking him) that you expect , that their faulty installation is held responsible for your
1) troubles/loss of happiness/time spent ,
2) damage to your car's interior such as carpet / flooring etc.
and will result in them covering whatever charges are demanded to fix this u] - not by them (no you don't want them to screw up again !) - but by the Mazda Dealer of your choice !
You want this - all in writing & signed by them agreeing to comply to whatever charges brought by Mazda dealer .
And that if he doesn't agree you are coming back to sue him with your lawyer Gung-Ho ready !

Don't be intimidated .... be the intmidator ... at least that's my usual recipe !
Nobody tells me I'm in the wrong when I'm not ! I don't adopt the subdued postion of the dog with his tail in between his legs - no sirry - I bark loud .... go be a bitch to this dude and show your findings and holler your frustrations / make a scene if you have to or warn him you can .... then finish him off with the lawyer thing you American people are so good at and sue his ass with the threath and demand that he answers now as to what he will do with this ..... hell tell you'll go to the newspapers if you have to ! :swearin:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had an issue with my OEM sunroof where the drain hose was completely OFF (disconnected - not clogged) and had water leaking on my front A-Pillar at the top where the felt joins the stiff plastic down the pillar ..... they reconnected it - no charge

So first off for you :

you need to identify what is the exact cause of your problem ?
- a clogged hose ?
- a disconnected hose ?
- might be no hose at all installed by the nice smilin' fellow ?

so this would mean taking apart the hard plastic A-Pillar and see exactly what's goin' on behind there

next step I would take :

once you know exactly what's goin' on , you're well equipped to argue your case - phsyched up & ready - goin'in to the Manager directly and firmly stating your newfound assesments with pics accompanied .
Then letting him know (NOT asking him) that you expect , that their faulty installation is held responsible for your
1) troubles/loss of happiness/time spent ,
2) damage to your car's interior such as carpet / flooring etc.
and will result in them covering whatever charges are demanded to fix this u] - not by them (no you don't want them to screw up again !) - but by the Mazda Dealer of your choice !
You want this - all in writing & signed by them agreeing to comply to whatever charges brought by Mazda dealer .
And that if he doesn't agree you are coming back to sue him with your lawyer Gung-Ho ready !

Don't be intimidated .... be the intmidator ... at least that's my usual recipe !
Nobody tells me I'm in the wrong when I'm not ! I don't adopt the subdued postion of the dog with his tail in between his legs - no sirry - I bark loud .... go be a bitch to this dude and show your findings and holler your frustrations / make a scene if you have to or warn him you can .... then finish him off with the lawyer thing you American people are so good at and sue his ass with the threath and demand that he answers now as to what he will do with this ..... hell tell you'll go to the newspapers if you have to ! :swearin:[/b]

Thanks for your helpful information, but I don't know too much about cars to find out the exact problem. I don't know what an A-pillar is or where it's located at. I did find the drain hose inside the fuse box area and the tube did not look like any water went threw it. It was completed dry inside the tube, yet my carpet was all wet. So maybe the drain hose did get disconnected like yours did? As far the going to the shop and demanding he repair my damages, I don't think he will take me seriously or even listen to me because I'm a short 5'2" 22 year old female and he will probably look at me or treat me like a little kid and tell me to leave. That's what's I'm afraid of. It's happened before when I had a problem with this manager at a dealership before when I had a problem with my car. The manager told me to leave his dealership and don't come back. If I could definitely prove it was the installer's fault, I will go there and ask if he be kind enough to pay for the damages, but I think it's up to the owner to decide and he seems really mean...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Like I said previously :
- You need to be sure of the cause of the problem
- You need to be sure of yourself , convincing , against this manager

If you do not get through this and get it fixed , your problem will only get worst . Already you are facing moisture/mold issues . Need I tell you that this is harmful for your health !? The health of your car as well - you will have this car rotting before you from the inside out !

The A-Pillar is the thin beam that comes down from the roof in front/left of you when sitting in your seat , it is between your front glass (windshield) and your driver's door window . the hard plastic is removeable easily by a Mazda dealer and therefore you can see if the hose is disconnected or might have been innaprpriately installed or forgotten ? Take pics at the dealer , they will surely sympathise with you and try to help + if you prove that you will come back to fix this at their dealer it should help . Once you know why things happened , plead your case to the Better Business Bureau , Consumer Protection , or your local laws against fraudulent businesses and they will refer you help in the steps that need be further taken . Wish I could help you more - hate to see people get abused this way . Let us know how it turns out .

·
Registered
136 Posts
My front and rear driver's side of my carpet always gets soaked whenever it rains a lot. I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I have a hole in my car? I took it into the dealer yesterday, and they said they will do a water test to see if any water is coming in the car and they said they will charge me $184 just to do the water test and of course, I will have to pay the costs to repair the problem and replace the carpet. I really don't have the money to pay for these repairs. I'm hoping it's something that's Mazda's fault and it will be covered under warranty, but if not, I have to pay the $184 water test. Since I don't have the money to pay for this, do you think I should take the risk of getting the test done and pay the $184 to do the water test if it's not covered under warranty? My warranty expires March of 2008. Thank you in advance for any input.[/b]

It sounds stupid but hear me out. Open your windows and get a 1 dollar bill close the dollar bill in the door and see where the dollar will move easily. When you find that spot put your knee on the door and give the window frame a good yank. and repeat the dollar test. I had a leak in my older 6 and this is what i did to fix it. It worked like a charm and it only cost me 1 dollar....not even.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts