Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acknowledging there are subtle but distinct differences within the 1st Generation group as far as connectors, etc are concerned (as an example, I know the clock/radio/temp LCD panel that has issues in a lot of 2004-2005 cars (including mine) can’t be directly swapped with one from 2006-2008 because they rewired the connector from 16 to 10 pins), is it possible to direct swap a driver’s seat from a 2008 6s Sport 5 door into my 2004 6s wagon?

My seat has 3 issues, the right side bolster on the back of the seat is rolled over to the point that side of the seat is basically flat. The lumbar support doesn’t work and almost worst of all, the seat heater feels like it’s burning a hole in the back of my left thigh; not an especially pleasant experience.

I know someone who has a 2008 hatchback that he’s about to scrap and he’s open to ‘trading’ seats. I know the mounts will match, my concern is the electrical - motors, seat heaters & airbags.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The gen 1.5 seats are quite different than the gen 1.0 seats. I don't know for certain, but I believe the wiring is different between the two in addition to the shape. Do you have airbag seats? That would be the part I would not want to mess with. You might be able to solder swap the connectors and get the seat to work, but my concern would be for the airbag.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gen 1.5 seats are quite different than the gen 1.0 seats. I don't know for certain, but I believe the wiring is different between the two in addition to the shape. Do you have airbag seats? That would be the part I would not want to mess with. You might be able to solder swap the connectors and get the seat to work, but my concern would be for the airbag.
I do have airbags, yes, and that’s also my largest concern. The specific look of the seats doesn’t bother me too greatly; if it does work, I’ll swap both front seats and leave the back seats as-is.

I’m hoping to find a solid answer in advance as we won’t be able to get together until Thursday. If it can’t work, it’ll save both of us a trip to his car (which is sitting in his mother in law’s driveway).

·
Registered
941 Posts
03-05 are a direct swap. 06-08 requires changing/repinning the plugs, but after that they do work as intended.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03-05 are a direct swap. 06-08 requires changing/repinning the plugs, but after that they do work as intended.
Thanks very much. Do you know if the plugs from my existing seats can be simply cut off and spliced into the 2008 seats (the donor car is being scrapped) or are the connectors wired completely differently?

·
Rally Racer
1,881 Posts
I am with @waughoo. I am most concerned with the sensor /controller interface for the airbags. For mine I grabbed side curtain bags and the side bolsters when I added the "Luxury Package". I also pulled the airbag control module (behind HVAC console). The options within the same year are sedan or 5=door/wagon and side curtain or no-curtain for a total of 4 combinations (I believe).

I went from a 05/2004 S wagon to a 06/2004 S wagon

The way that Mazda recommends for airbag testing is with the dashboard light. It should remain illuminated for approximately 6 seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. If this does not happen the airbags are not armed and you must then use the onboard diagnostic. Make sure all connections are connected or disconnected with the battery disconnected and residual current bled (~1min)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All things being equal, I think I’ll be better off riding it out until I can stumble across a 2003-2005 wagon with a solid black leather interior, rather than risk blowing an airbag while sitting in the driveway; it just seems the risk/reward isn’t quite there without paint-by-numbers step by step instructions.

I’m confident enough in my lack of confidence in auto electronics to know when to put this one in the ‘maybe not such a great idea’ file.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
UPDATE

About two weeks ago I had a change of heart & reached out to the 08 seat guy to see if he still had his car that he was parting out. He did, so I went ahead and arranged a day for us to do a driveway seat swap. We put his 08 seats in my 04 wagon and my 04 seats in the car that he was calling a wrecker to come and haul away the following week.

Generally the swap went well though I did have a flashing airbag code. A little research led me to it being a Code 51; a short in the driver’s side seatbelt buckle. We hadn’t switched the buckles off when we did the swap so I headed out to my local wrecker last week and pulled a pair of front seat buckles and took a drive to my buddy’s place today; he had previously gone the other way, putting 04 leather into his 08 sedan that originally had cloth without issue.

We pulled the seats out of my car and switched the buckles, taking the connectors off the 08 buckles as Mazda changed them at some point between 04 & 08 and the 04 connectors didn’t fit the 08. We buttoned everything back up, reconnected the battery and turned the key. Typical startup dashboard lights flashed and went out sequentially including the airbag light.

So, the moral of this story is; they work. You can put 08 seats in an 04 and not have any airbag or other system issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey... this is cool info!! Post up a picture when you can. It would be slick to see the conversion.
I know this isn't what you want to see a picture of. I'll shoot one of the seats in the next couple of days after it's been vacuumed. In the mean time, this is the dash on the first post-completion start.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I appreciate you coming back and updating with the results and extra work needed. :) Much nicer than another abandoned thread ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
@blackerphotos ... thanks for the pic. Looking forward to seeing the pic of the seats. Now what you need to do is swap in the speed 6 trim on the doors and center consol!! That's what I did, and i must say it looks really slick in my wagon. Here's a video tour I did after I got it done.

https://youtu.be/KGhnsPuKoR4

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now what you need to do is swap in the speed 6 trim on the doors and center consol!!
Man, that looks amazing. Sadly, I have only seen two Speeds that were available for parts and they were both mentioned with photographs being in a wrecker about an hour from me and they were both pretty trashed.

Any further interior mods are a little way down my list with a couple of pending exceptions, but I’m keeping everything pretty close to the vest for a ‘grand reveal’ in the spring.

I’ll get you an interior pic tomorrow of my ‘new’ seats.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great vid @waughoo I love the speed6 mods, but I can’t get over your paint! It’s ssoooo shiny and clean it’s like looking into a mirror !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thanks guys I have an itch to make a DIY or at least a tour of the speed 6 interior mod, but I burned out after getting the whole thing back together. I hope to get it up at some point because I'd love to share it with the fellow 1st gen crowd before there aren't any left.

As for the paint, that was another giant project. I did a full paint correction that started simply enough but grew to a rather long project. I now do a Griot's cleaner sealer product sometime in the late summer to avoid having to do another paint correction. It was a rather rewarding job. In the sunshine the metal flake really reflects the light.

I don't know that I'd do it again, but I'm happy now that it's done to enjoy it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a Before (top) and After of the seat swap, going from my original 04 front seats to the 'new' 08 seats. Clearly they're a different design, but they're close enough to the styling of the rears that if, in the unlikely event I should ever sell the car, the buyer won't know...unless they know.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here's a Before (top) and After of the seat swap, going from my original 04 front seats to the 'new' 08 seats. Clearly they're a different design, but they're close enough to the styling of the rears that if, in the unlikely event I should ever sell the car, the buyer won't know...unless they know.

Looks really good, no offense to anyone but when it comes to personal preference I like the later seat design more I know it’s a subtle difference but just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks really good, no offense to anyone but when it comes to personal preference I like the later seat design more I know it’s a subtle difference but just my opinion
Thanks man. The differences are pretty subtle cosmetically. The 08 seats do feel more supportive. I don’t know if that’s the age between the two seats or if they used a firmer foam post-facelift, but I can feel a noticeable difference.

The ONLY downside is the source car for these particular 08 seats was somehow missing five of the eight seat rail caps. On my next trip to the wreckers I’ll have to see if there’s a facelift car or two that has the ones I’m missing.

Other than that, for $150 for the two seats themselves (plus another $40 for the two seatbelt buckles from the wrecker), I’m pretty happy with the end result.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I do agree that the later seat looks better. Good on ya @blackerphotos for figuring it all out. I considered it but chickened out when I started to look into it. Plus, my current seats are pretty tidy despite their age.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I do agree that the later seat looks better. Good on ya @blackerphotos for figuring it all out. I considered it but chickened out when I started to look into it. Plus, my current seats are pretty tidy despite their age.
Thanks. Ultimately my airbag light was a case of the 08 SRS system looking for well under 1 ohm (0.002 ohms) resistance across the seatbelt switch and the 04 SRS system looking for more than 1 ohm resistance that the 04 buckle switch provide. Replacing the 08 buckles with 04 cleared that and also returned the seatbelt light to full function - with the 08 buckles it was out all the time. With the 04 buckles it’s back to staying on (with the chime) until the driver’s belt is clipped in.

It should also be mentioned for anyone who wants to do this in the future, that the 08 seatbelt buckle fastens to the seat frame with a T50 Torx head where the 04 is a 17mm hex socket. Also, the threads on the 08 bolt are different than the 04 so you’ll need to take the bolts from the 08 buckles to attach the 04 buckles to the 08 seat frame.

Additionally, the 08 seatbelt connectors are polarity-sensitive; you’ll need to be able to confirm ground when wiring the 08 seatbelt connector after clipping off the 04.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts