Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i park in two very tight garages each day and often i have to backup into spots with the steering wheel totally cocked. when i do this, i feel what seems to be 4wd binding or scrubbing while im backing slowly.

it really feels like driveline binding, but i have to imagine that the computer is smart enough to keep the rears from being driven in slow maneuvers w/no slip.

sometimes it happens, other times not, not sure about the position of the DSC as i use it about 70% of the time.

thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I only have a few hundred miles on mine.... (6??) to be more exact, but I do remember that a few times when I backed out the drive, I would pause and look at the E-Brake to verify it was not left on. My car sort of has a drag on it in reverse. I assumed it was "natural" to this car and blew it off? Mine does not actually bind and stop your movement, its more like if you back up and let off the throttle and push the clutch, the car just slows down to quick on its own...... it feels a bit un-natural.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i park in two very tight garages each day and often i have to backup into spots with the steering wheel totally cocked. when i do this, i feel what seems to be 4wd binding or scrubbing while im backing slowly.

it really feels like driveline binding, but i have to imagine that the computer is smart enough to keep the rears from being driven in slow maneuvers w/no slip.

sometimes it happens, other times not, not sure about the position of the DSC as i use it about 70% of the time.

thanks
[/b]
I have the exact same thing. I had not noticed it until the other day trying to back out of a tight spot. It really feels like the old school 4WD cars with the manual hubs. If you left those bad boys in 4wd it would do the same. I would also like to know what this is. I was thinking about taking it to the dealer. It cant be good. I have just over 5k on the car so I have had it awhile.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad i posted this up...it seems a lot of people are having the same problem.

DiscountPP, what you're talking about feels the same as what I'm experiencing. it's not a feeling of braking, but of drag in some way...sometimes there is a thud noise that accompanies the clunking/shudeer/whatever-it-is and i think i'm stuck against a pillar or something, lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have not heard the sounds or any of that, but I have noticed myself looking at the brake lever to verify I disengauged it properly. I will be interested in seeing/hearing more on this. I suppose that it could be an trait of the car, and not be a big deal. Is the online comunity thing not great? We can all toss things like this at each other and see if we are having a real issue, or a normal side effect of the cars build. The technology age....what a great thing...and what a terrible thing..all at the same time!

Larry...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not heard the sounds or any of that, but I have noticed myself looking at the brake lever to verify I disengauged it properly. I will be interested in seeing/hearing more on this. I suppose that it could be an trait of the car, and not be a big deal. Is the online comunity thing not great? We can all toss things like this at each other and see if we are having a real issue, or a normal side effect of the cars build. The technology age....what a great thing...and what a terrible thing..all at the same time!

Larry... [/b]
i'm heading out in about an hour, so i'll make sure to do a couple in and out passes from my spot and see if i can notice anything more specific.

off topic..larry, what kinda times does your f350 run? any guesses?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh completely forgot about the mech lsd.

gar, 6mps 1, digger 0

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it only happens when the wheel is turned completely one way or the other...thus creating 4 different rotational radii for the wheels. it doesnt happen when i back out straight.

off i go

·
Registered
154 Posts
The best ever for the 2005 6.0 Powerstroke was a 14.17, usually it hangs about 14.2-14.3 range.

We have 35x14.5 tires on it now, so it most likely lost a chunk of time...but man does she look sweet! We also added a dual 4" exhaust a few weeks ago, but we had to put a muffler in. The exhaust is 4" turbo downpipe, 5" intermediate pipe into a 5" muffler with 2 4" outlets. Then we finished it off with 2 6" 304SS tips...one at each rear corner coming out at an angle. The truck is putting 431hp at the rear tires, but hits the scales at 7400 without Patrick in it...and Patrick is pushing towards 300 lbs fast!

DPP Truck pics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pushing 300lbs fast!?!? I've been a petite 265 for the last 4 years, but that last 45 pounds came on quick after I got married.

So, a Mazda Speed6 at 7400 ponds runs what in a quarter mile? I have to say, Ive always had a dislike for imports, but that little Mazda hauls the mail. Ive been trying to talk Larry into giving up Truckpulling and getting into Autocross. I'd by one in a minute for that, instead of the New Mustang I've been planning on getting. So, yes I have to say Im very impressed with this machine.

--Patrick :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts