Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Drive by wire?'

Yeah, I recall seeing that it's not electronic...at least to some extent...

Does it not have to be [somewhat] electronic with cruise and DSC?

·
Registered
79 Posts

Toyota Camry , Volvo S80 ... and Mazda6
Engine management
32-bit PCM with CAN-Bus and Electronic Throttle Control :(

·
Registered
158 Posts

I seem to remember reading that the Altima's are also throttle-by-wire. Anyone know if they're also on the CAN bus? Hmm...

·
Registered
79 Posts

Sleep to long between the moment you push on pedal and when engine began to react. Toyota Camry 2002 and Volvo S80 bright examples of not very finished constructions. I am very upset and dissapointent that Mazda6 went this way.

·
Registered
319 Posts

huh, i've driven several cars with this feature, and I must say I can't tell the difference one bit. Last one was a 5 series BMW, and I chouldn't tell at all.

Oh well... ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts

The 6 use electronic throttle body. The reason is the traction control they use. They use the throttle body to de-tune the engine for the traction.

·
Registered
63 Posts

dont know why it is called drive-by-wire, it sounds like it is controlled by wires attached to the throttle, I think it should call "electronic throttling" .

even though it is drive-by-wire, but it still has the backup by the conventional mechanical link in case the electronic failure.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Drive-by-wire refers to the electric wires. The technology is from the flight industry where Fly-by-wire have been around since the 80's.

Though Mazda6 hasn't got drive-by-wire in it's real meaning. The only car I know if that is totalty -by-wirecontrolled is a concept car from Swedish ball bearing manufacuter SKF (I guess they make more then ball bearings nowadays as they managed to do a whole car). It's really neat. With that technology you no longer need to make different torpedo walls for leftside/wrongside controlled cars, no body damaging steering colums.

The car was really neat. It had a cool steering wheel with a display and a lot of gizmos :D

Read more in this article:
http://evolution.skf.com/gb/eng-article.asp?pkID=371

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Originally posted by AliAL

This is true Drive by Wire.[/b]
Yeah that's one way to do it :D Waay scary to drive that car! At least if your used to handeling a PC joystick! *Slam* *bam*

Or maybe the ladys will like :D No that was evil. Bad /me :hammerhea

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by AliAL

This is true Drive by Wire.[/b]
Oh God! I wouln't feel comfortable not having that wheel in front of my to grab whenever trouble's in the air!!!:D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I know, its like a security blanket. But it would be safer in an accident to not have the steering wheel there.

·
Registered
315 Posts

One of the advantages to "drive by wire" is that ECU tuning can be used to make the engine respond quicker not slower as there is no physical cable to move.
However, drive by wire can also be "tuned" so that the driver thinks the car is quicker as the throttle curve can be adjusted to be more aggressive, meaning, it can be tuned so that a small increase in pedal pressure results in a larger movement in the servo opening the throttle. But, it does have greater advantages when it comes to tuning.

The negative is that the programming in the ECU is more complex as the tuner must take all the systems into account not just air/fuel mixture. But the system is then better all around.

T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts