Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I received an OEM trunk lip spoiler that did not come with the drilling template. It has the 3M mounting tape and 4 mounting bolts and I am nervous to free hand it. The mounting bolts to not come off from what I can tell. I bought it from a 3rd party for a great price and they do not have it either. Thankfully it's paint matched, has the Mazda part numbers and stamping, and has the factory plastic coverings on it so I'm 99.9999% certain it's not a reproduction.

I contacted the dealership that I buy my OEM parts from normally to see if they had one but do not and don't have the spoiler in stock to copy one.

Does anyone happen to have one for a 2016 Mazda 6 trunk lip spoiler? I am hoping I don't have to bring it in to my local dealership as I do not trust their work or honesty in the slightest after my last 2 visits and may take it to a trusted body shop if I can't find the template.

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you check on the bottom side of the trunk lid? Sometimes manufacturers put marks on the bottom side that let you know where to drill. I am not near my car or I would look for ya.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello!

I received an OEM trunk lip spoiler that did not come with the drilling template. It has the 3M mounting tape and 4 mounting bolts and I am nervous to free hand it. The mounting bolts to not come off from what I can tell. I bought it from a 3rd party for a great price and they do not have it either. Thankfully it's paint matched, has the Mazda part numbers and stamping, and has the factory plastic coverings on it so I'm 99.9999% certain it's not a reproduction.

I contacted the dealership that I buy my OEM parts from normally to see if they had one but do not and don't have the spoiler in stock to copy one.

Does anyone happen to have one for a 2016 Mazda 6 trunk lip spoiler? I am hoping I don't have to bring it in to my local dealership as I do not trust their work or honesty in the slightest after my last 2 visits and may take it to a trusted body shop if I can't find the template.

Thanks!
Only suggestion I have is get a long piece of poster board that will stretch across the base. With your fingers press down on the studs so they make an indention. Using a thin blade knife, ct away carefully and rest that hole on the top of the stud. Only 1-2 threads down. Repeat, lengthwise for each remaining stud. Same 1-2 threads for the hole. After you have matched all the holes, push your template all the way down so that the template lays flat with “NO BOWING POSTERBOARD” anywhere, if it bows,trim out a little of the hole so it lays flat.
Flip your spoiler over and trace the edges of the part. Take your time. Carefully cut away the excess with scissors. You have you homemade template.

Use tape to hold it in your desired position. Use a very small drill bit and start a pilot hole. Using a step bit (Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc., drill thru the pilot hole until you reach the diameter on the step bit that matches your stud diameter.

Note: using a larger regular drill bit on thin trunk lid material the aluminum will start to gather up more beet metal than you wanted. The step drill bit eliminates this from occurring.

Hope this makes sense. Wish you all the best on this endeavor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts