Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a set of drilled rotors for the 6s. Are they out there yet or are they still in the line of things to come. First I think they make the car look sweet. They should help the car since it is over 3000 Lbs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Reading Topic: Drilled rotors

If you want something of this sort, dont get drilled rotors, get slotted. Drilled rotors compromise the integrity of street-rotors more than slotted and slotted accomplishes essentially the same thing (if not more) with less structural integrity problems.

Anyway, check out www.dba.com.au for excellent rotors.

-Alt

·
Registered
315 Posts

I had Brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors on my 90 Mits Eclipse/Laser turbo.
I had heard all of the stories about drilled rotors cracking and such. However, my rotors never cracked. These were not the cast holes as used in higher end car such as Porsche, instead, these were Brembo made rotors that were then drilled. I think they looked cooler than they performed.

The biggest difference in performance came from better pads. If anything, I hope that we can get larger rotors for the 6, slotted would be nice. Larger rotors and better pads will increase performance more so than the drilled rotor on the street. Now, in racing applications, the drilled rotor is better at keeping things cool as they have a larger surface area which can dissapate heat.

Tome

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Drilled rotors'

Be careful with Pad selection for a street car. Hi-performance and racing pads many times will increase braking distance. These pads require the rotors to be at high temps to work.

If you are not having problems with brake fade, OEM pads can be as good if not better than aftermarket pads for a street car. If I remember correctly Mazda designed the 6's brakes to be highly fade resistant.

Remember that tires stop the car, brakes only slow down the wheels. Changing to a softer compound tire will do more for braking than pads.

Selecting Brake Pads

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The 6's stock brakes are very very good. I have heard that they fade very little as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Drilled rotors'

Thank you all. I jus t wnat the most I can get out of them. I would like a big rotor kit like 13.5 in the front and 12 in the back!!!:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts