Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you want to replace your transmission fluid and you have an automatic transmission.

This means a tranny fluid right? Usually yes. If you want to replace 99% of your fluid in one go, you'll have to do a flush.

Whats a flush?

Some fella's hook up a machine to your tranny cooler lines (Usually go to the radiator) and pump out the oil fluid while they pump in the new.

Whats wrong with this?

1) Expensive
2) If machine wasn't cleaned since last use, it can induce debris into your tranny.
3) Can stress and clog filters of tranny's which haven't had maintance in a long time.

So what else can you do?

You can drain and replace your own fluid. Luckily on the V6 Automatic (6s in the USA) our transmission has a drain plug! (Thank god)

This technique is very similar to draining your oil. So follow all the necessary prep stages. Ramps, wedges to prevent rear movement, car off, etc.

So first locate the drain plug.

Its a big giant copper looking 1 inch hex-nut on the bottom of the transmission (right next to the oil pan)

Get a nice catch pan (like a blitz), take off the nut and let the fluid drain out. (Car's off while your doing this).

Around 3-3.5 qts of fluid will drain out. (It goes to a weird angle like that in the photo when its nearly done). But my tranny holds 12 qts???? Yes I know, I'll get to that.

At 5600 miles (and one autocross), the fluid has a murky/muddy look to it. (Its not nice and clear)

Make sure you have a filter or grate on the catch pan...otherwise...

You'll be fishing for the washer that falls off when the nut comes flying off.

This is about how much fluid you'll get out of a drain.

On the left is 3 qts of fluid for reference. (The right is the drained ATX fluid).

Clean the nut/washer off (its not magnetic), and screw back in. Torque it like you torque the oil pan nut. (I believe its the same amount of torque)

Fill the tranny back up with the "SAME AMOUNT" of fluid you drained out, via the dipstick tube.

You can use a funnel and/or transmission funnel to do this. Pour slowly.

Stick to Mercon-V ONLY transmission fluid. For reasons I'll get into later, universal blends are not as good as just plain pure Mercon-V fluid.

So how do you get all the fluid out? Well you don't. Best case scenario you replace about 1/4 the total fluid of the tranny.

You can do what I did, and drive around for awhile, then come back and repeat (replacing 3 qts, then 3 qts again, for 50%), or just do a drain every other oil change to eventually replace all the fluid within the transmission.

Its not effecient...but its cheap, and will replace all the fluid eventually :).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Draining 6s Automatic Transmission Fluid'

omg....12qt. of Tranny oil totally?...wow.....luckily, you save me some money...thanks alot for the step by step & pic. instrution, so how many miles should you really change the tranny oil?? the owner's manual says 100,000...and some say it should be earlier..??

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reading Topic: Draining 6s Automatic Transmission Fluid

The 6s Automatic transmission takes 12 quarts of fluid.

Ya its a crapload!

You have two choices. You can either let the dealer worry about the tranny at 100k, or you can just do a drain and fluid replace every 10-20k miles. (Probably a filter replacement at 50k)

If you had a big enough catch pan, you could probably drain the tranny and the oil at the same time.

·
Registered
683 Posts

I have 55 gallon drums of Trans Fluid at work... we immerse the parts we make in it before we pack it and send it off to Ford or GM for assembly in the trans as a rust preventative.. wierd thing is.. all the trans fluid we use for all the Ford products we make is clear and translucent.. not red. We used to use the red stuff about 7 years ago... now parts for GM are the only ones that get the red fluid...and if we get em mixed up and put the parts in the wrong fluid... we cant ship the parts for fear it will contaminate and screw up the trans.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Chris,

I was planning on amsoil universial synthetic atf...

But its around 10-12 USD a QUART.

Multiply that by the 12-15 quarts necessary to completely replace all the fluid...and well its pretty expensive.

I'm still going to do it, I just wanted to get the process down with cheaper syn-blend mercon V before moving to the expensive stuff. (The Penzoil has better stats then stock, and only costs around 2.50 a quart)

Hmm I wasn't lookin for any tranny cooling lines persay. I'll look next time I'm under there (going to do another 2 drains in a week).

Actually I wonder if this could get a sticky....

·
Registered
141 Posts

Where did you find 10-12 quarts to fill the trans, it should only be 5-6 when you drain it. The total capacity from empty as per the owners manual is 9.7 quarts, but you have to take into account that the torque converter is not emptied and you are not draining the trans completely. I don't have the shop manual, but 10-12 sounds excessive. do you have the shop manual, in there it should have three numbers for quantities, comletely drained and dry, drained with the torque converter, and just drained out the plug.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Originally posted by crossbow

(The Penzoil has better stats then stock, and only costs around 2.50 a quart)[/b]
Yo...Cross, so the oil that you using can mix in with the stock oil w/ no problem, rite? or are there any brand or type of oil I need to be aware, so I won't mess up the tranny?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You must use MERCON V transmission fluid.

Let me say that again.

YOU 'MUST' use MERCON V branded fluid in this transmission.

Failure to do this will result in damage and destruction of the transmission.

I also don't recommend doing this if your at all uncomfterable doing so.

(Aka if you have reservations about not doing it, don't do it.)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Reading Topic: Drain

Doesn't the 6s auto tranny have a pan, that one could drop, and get more fluid out in one draining? Instead of having to use that drain hole?

Because... what comes out through that drain hole is almost as little as one-quarter of the total capacity.

To my knowledge, on most autos, dropping the pan allows you to get pretty much everything in there -- excluding the contents of the torque converter, of course.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

WOW, Greg, you're right. That synth fluid is expensive. I was cluless. Guess that's because it sells in much lower quantities than engine oil, or perhaps it's more expensive to refine at the oil factory.

I think I would stick with the Pennzoil Mercon (or other competitive high-grade brand) and just change it out frequently.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=000524#000023

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=000550#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...ic;f=3;t=000505

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=000339#000001

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=000835#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultima...t=000800#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...ic;f=3;t=000786

Here's some UOA's of transmission fluids.

Chris,

Aye I'm sure you could...but I wasn't ready to perform such an operation. If I get a hold of a service manual to verify torque specifications and actual mounting points, then I'll consider performing such an action.

If were lucky, there might actually be a drain plug for the torque converter. Then you could drain all the fluid at once.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Originally posted by crossbow

So how do you get all the fluid out?  Well you don't.  Best case scenario you replace about 1/4 the total fluid of the tranny.

You can do what I did, and drive around for awhile, then come back and repeat (replacing 3 qts, then 3 qts again, for 50%)[/b]
Actually, you'd have to do this (fluid replacement via the drain hole) more than 4 times, to assure that you've removed all the old fluid. Why? Because the new stuff and the old stuff are mixing together each time you run the tranny. So you'd really have to do this at least six times, and maybe as much as eight times, in order to completely get rid of all the old fluid.

So that would mean using at least 18 quarts of new tranny fluid. The cost of that wouldn't be bad. It's more the hassle of draining six+ times! :(

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Btw,

I found a place that sells amsoil Universal ATF for around 8 bucks a quart. Still expensive, but no where near as bad as 12 bucks a quart.

I'm still investigating how close the Amsoil is to the friction requirements of Mercon V.

There seems to be some debate whether any of the fluids which state multiple support (like the pennzoil I just put in) actually fullfil the exact specifications of Mercon V...or just kinda of do.

There was also a TSB on ford contours not to long ago to replace the standard ATF fluid with a Mercon V synthetic (true Syn, mercon V) which is supposedly "honey colored". Looks like its 12 bucks a quart, looking for a possible supplier.

Seems the stock fluid wasn't lasting 100k =/.

Ha I gotta post faster to catch up with you!

Yes your right about the new and the old fluid mixing. Alas.

Chris,

You need to get on AIM so we can chat :).

My nick's Cr0ss b0w (with the 0's being zero's)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

I look forward to reading what you find out about tranny fluids, Greg.

I'll be going with the ATX in my 6s, so I'll be following your lead! :)

I actually haven't been keeping up with the entire forum very well lately. But there have been a few topics, like this one, that I've been watching.

I've been busy with work and lining up my car purchase. Hopefully I'll have time for AIM someday soon.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts