1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick check with those who have taken apart the exhaust,

I consulted

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about4210.html

In case that link gets blocked, it's the technical highlight manual for the exhaust system.
It appears there is only one gasket affected by an aftermarket downpipe installation (between 2nd cat and catback exhaust pipe). It's marked "A" on the drawing.

Is there no gasket between the turbo and first cat? Did you all replace the gasket at "A" when you changed the downpipe?

Also, I noticed one person wrote that he thought mazda did a good job with their factory heat-wrapping. But one person also mentioned that he smelled stuff cooking after he put it on. Has anybody tried heat wrapping their downpipe and would you suggest it?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm going to heat wrap mine when I move on to the next couple things and I'll have a couple days at hand. CP-E provided a gasket.

On a side note, did anybody see the weird opening for cylinder 1 (or 4) on the exhaust manifold in that link? WTF?!?!?! Sorry, but that really blows! It can't be symetrical!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
wrapping the exhaust is good for performance, but bad for material reliability. pipes that are wrapped tend to crack over time and eventually fail.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
With the ATP downpipe, I used the stock gasket. There is already a gasket between the turbo and the factory downpipe/1st cat.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
On a side note, did anybody see the weird opening for cylinder 1 (or 4) on the exhaust manifold in that link? WTF?!?!?! Sorry, but that really blows! It can't be symetrical![/b]
I'm pretty sure that it's for the EGR.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys,

if this weekend pans out timewise i should be downpipe equipped by next week!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
With the ATP downpipe, I used the stock gasket. There is already a gasket between the turbo and the factory downpipe/1st cat.[/b]
I don't remember seeing one when I installed the downpipe....and CP-E only provided the gasket to connect from the downpipe to the cat-back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts