Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zu4N-1s1rEs

I don't really agree with (what I believe to be) Doug's really harsh rating system... or necessarily his general focus in his car reviews but some of this is interesting, I believe. He does't say alot about the engine or transmission. He does talk about the chassis quietness...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have to agree that the hatchback looks weird. I've had my M6 a few months, but I just discovered the little storage box to the left of the steering wheel. I put about $1 worth of change and a tiny LED light in it, it's nice to easily get change for a drive through. It's a weird little thing, but I dig it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to agree that the hatchback looks weird. I've had my M6 a few months, but I just discovered the little storage box to the left of the steering wheel. I put about $1 worth of change and a tiny LED light in it, it's nice to easily get change for a drive through. It's a weird little thing, but I dig it.
Saw a black 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback this afternoon as I left work(my office building is literally next door to a Mazda dealer). The guy driving it had just bought it.

I have to say that pictures don't do it justice. The hatch design is definitely different and I wasn't a fan of it at first; after seeing it in-person brand new, in the Texas sun, on the road, I have to say it looks pretty damn good.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I’m not a fan. Agree his rating scale is whack. Even his “favorite” compact car (Kia Soul) only gets a 52/100. He seems to rate all cars against high end vehicles and not within each class. And granted all reviews have some personal bias, his is really strong. He needs more objectivity.

I really like the new 3, the HV back in particular. I hope all the neat little details will make it to the next gen 6.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I’m not a fan. Agree his rating scale is whack. Even his “favorite” compact car (Kia Soul) only gets a 52/100. He seems to rate all cars against high end vehicles and not within each class. And granted all reviews have some personal bias, his is really strong. He needs more objectivity.

I really like the new 3, the HV back in particular. I hope all the neat little details will make it to the next gen 6.

Yes, no kidding.
He says 0-60mph in 7.0 seconds and gets 2/10.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Saw a black 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback this afternoon as I left work(my office building is literally next door to a Mazda dealer). The guy driving it had just bought it.

I have to say that pictures don't do it justice. The hatch design is definitely different and I wasn't a fan of it at first; after seeing it person brand new, in the Texas sun, on the road, I have to say looks pretty damn good.
I haven't seen any in person, but I have heard other people say that as well. I guess I just really like the 16'-17' design, the 18s' started getting rounder and it seems that trend will continue. I like some edges, just my personal taste :smile2:.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Of course he rates high end cars better, he would not be allowed to review them if he did not. He found a niche and filled it, but his reviews are very biased towards his personal tastes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, that's kind of the whole deal with his rating system. All cars are scored on the same scale, so yes, a $27k compact sedan will only get a 50, because it's being scored against literally everything. I agree that it is inconsistent with the class-based comparison reviews that seemingly every other automotive journalist uses, but again, maybe that's the point: to make himself stand out, even if people disagree with the approach.

It seems counter-intuitive, but if you take it in context, I think it's a bit refreshing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
There is no such thing as an "objective review" because it is impossible for humans to turn off selective bias and personal preference.

That being said, comparing all cars in one ratings scale simply benefits his target audience of well off car buyers. Pandering to those that spend more money is the way it is, corporations like profit a lot more than good vibes. For me, in my personal opinion, the last place I would be looking if I were buying is online/newspaper car reviews. They are all heavily biased and they are paid for by the marketing/sales departments. I could care less what Doug Demuro or anyone like him says, but again, this is MY opinion and personal feelings. I have an obvious bias against the review industry, just as he has an obvious bias towards high end cars.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You speak about the car review industry... and I have to agree with parts of what you're saying: funny how when a car first gets introduced it often is the best thing since sliced bread. Then after it's been out for a few years the SAME car comes out in less glowing terms, small nits re aspects that clearly were evident and present in the same vehicle when it was first introduced. It's also funny how Toyota's often get panned. NO, they are not the most dynamic vehicles on the road. But yes they are easy to live with day-in and day-out and usually are well designed... YMMV :) .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts