Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first vehicle... 85 ford ranger... I had no choice but to learn double clutching... as you couldn't shift that vehicle for shit w/o it...

I practiced this much later on my 97 civic... basically double clutching every gear.. always... And after my engine / tranny swap.. It was so nice to be "used" to doing it... as it made shifting a lot easier...

My question is this, does double clutching on these newer (as in brand fucking new) cars actually do anything? I'm not much of a tranny person so I don't know the complete details on how everythings works... However I do know how to double clutch... I do it every once in a while on my speed as... i'll be "racing" and it won't go into gear (usually trying to shift into third at high RPMS)... so the second I feel it not going in.. i let the clutch out and back in (double clutch) and it goes right into 3rd...

Anyway... is it better / good idea to only double clutch? every gear.. all gears.. always? In all my older vehicles I became practiced at engine bracking / downshifting to slow down... I've started to realize.. that might save your breaks a little... however i'd rather replace my break pads... than my damn clutch lol... so i'm trying to re-train myself to use my breaks more...

·
Registered
68 Posts
No need to double clutch on up shifting, the synchro will take care of that for you. But for the down shifts I would recommend it so that you don't wear out the synchro.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
No need to double clutch on up shifting, the synchro will take care of that for you. But for the down shifts I would recommend it so that you don't wear out the synchro.
[/b]
+1, additionally you get cleaner engagement on downshifts when you double clutch, especially coming across the synchros; i.e. 3rd to 2nd, 5th to 4th.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I double clutch on downshifts out of habit now.
I find it easier to do on the speed than any other car I've driven, it spins up pretty quick.

·
Registered
358 Posts
[/b]
I've never understood this way of thinking. If you don't use the synchros, what are you saving them for!? :slap:

Just drive normally. :drive:

·
Registered
577 Posts
when i down shift i just rev it while i still have the clutch pedal pressed, why waste the time to take your foot off then just put it right back down when you rev match? seems pointless to me....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Brakes are for stopping not clutches!

I hope you are heel and toeing when you are double declutching if not pointless when downshifting in new cars. The idea is to match the revs when the clutch is engaged fully. It stops "shift Locking" (drift term) and takes stress off all components.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Brakes are for stopping not clutches!

I hope you are heel and toeing when you are double declutching if not pointless when downshifting in new cars. The idea is to match the revs when the clutch is engaged fully. It stops "shift Locking" (drift term) and takes stress off all components.
[/b]
I used to do that for shits and giggles on my 240 as the clutch was like butter.

I never understood the use of it other than save some brakes, I mean can't you just pop it into neutral from whatever gear you are in, ie slowing down to a stop going 45...just use the brakes? I never understood the use of heel-toe to a stop, I did see the use in a turn however...but not stopping.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used to do that for shits and giggles on my 240 as the clutch was like butter.

I never understood the use of it other than save some brakes, I mean can't you just pop it into neutral from whatever gear you are in, ie slowing down to a stop going 45...just use the brakes? I never understood the use of heel-toe to a stop, I did see the use in a turn however...but not stopping.
[/b]
Correct...No need to heel and toe when you are braking.....but usually you need a lower gear to drive away. The best way to be ready to drive off is never to put it in NEUTRAL...holy helll!!!

Do the downshifting with heel and toe as a matter of course and you will improve your skills and drive much more smoothly. Your car will love you. In 1.5 million kms of driving using this method, (over 40 years) I have never had to replace a clutch or transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok.. let's try to clear some stuff off... some people are saying that double clutching is very pointless.. in reality its actually a very good habit... what it does is when you let ur flywheel(the thing that comes out off of the engine to spin with the clutch plate thingy) engage while in neutral and give it a little gas.. ur spinning the tranny so when you put ur gear into the tranny it is at matched speed instead of letting the synchros do all the work for you... it keeps ur synchro wear down..... that is basically what it does... why double clutching was there in the first place because older cars never had synchros before.. i'm talking about OLD OLD days.. you had to double clutch in order to downshift or else you will grind all ur gears away... but as for now... it really just keeps the synchro wear n tear down... IMHO there is no need to do this since the new synchro are actually made to do that job (not everyone drives double clutching eh...) and your car will still last pretty long... although if you want a smoother shifting double clutching is very good cuz you will notice u can shift into whatever gear u want easier.. it simply slides in unlike the usual "JAM" it in the gear kinda thing.. cuz that second you jam into the gear the synchro are trying to match the trannys speed and locking it into gear... as for what i know also... gear tranny are very light nowadays so they actually require a lot less stress on the synchros even if you don't do it.. hope that helps =)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've done a reply to double clutch threads every time so this time im just going to tell you to do a search. In short its not pointless. Velocityred6 you should do a search as well as what you are doing is a basic rev match and is not the same. Anyway... keep doing it on downshifts. You shouldnt need to on upshifts as revs are usually matched in the time it takes you to upshift anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts