Mazda 6 Forums banner

Door Sills - fitment issue

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dkraynik 
#1 ·
So I finally got around to installing the door sills I bought. I noticed on the back ones however they stuck out too far, reference pic on the right side corner. Anyone else have this problem? I ordered these from HK Plus, so was wondering if perhaps just poor quality/fitment on their part. In the pic I know it kinda looks like there is a gap at the top, but thats just from the angle I took the pic at.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have them myself but remember reading several threads about them, including having to sand/file down the plastic that you stick the sills to, in order to help with fitment. Also, and I realize it might be the picture, but it looks like you have a little room to move toward the left.

Anyway, perhaps working the plastic a little will help with the fitment.

You might want to search the board for some insight.

#3 ·
I don't have them myself but remember reading several threads about them, including having to sand/file down the plastic that you stick the sills to, in order to help with fitment. Also, and I realize it might be the picture, but it looks like you have a little room to move toward the left.

Anyway, perhaps working the plastic a little will help with the fitment.

You might want to search the board for some insight.
[/b]
I did sand down the plastic ridges before putting them on. I've read through quite a few posts concerning the sills and didn't see much about fitment problems, and unfortunately most of the pics posted are from the front doors, which fit fine on mine, so nothing really to compare too.

#5 ·
Mine stick out like that too. I never had a problem because of it.

Here is a pic of mine (the picture isn't the best, but you can kind of see it):

#7 ·
[attachmentid=17180]
I didn't sand my sills, and just used the sticky tape that came with it. They've lasted through hot humid weather and cold weather without popping off. When I put them on, I stuffed a thick towel in the sill and jammed the door tight for several hours, and that seemed to help. The manufactorurer should change the inside to fit the curvature of the stock sill though, as it doesn't look quite like a proper fit.

Attachments

#8 ·
I left the plastic ridges on the original sills, removed the 3M tape from the new ones and replaced it with this. I closed a thick towel in the door after putting the sills in place and let it sit for 12 hours or so in a warm garage. They aren't moving. Ever.

The rear ones do stick out a little on mine like the picks above. Not too much you can do about it unless you shaved the top of the new sill. Not worth it to me though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.