Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just got the new 2020 mazda 6 and love it, one day took my car to change the rear view mirror with the frameless one and was given a mazda 3, noticed the door handles unlock the door by simply inserting your hand insead of the old fashioned black button, is there a way to change the handles for those ones (and also i guess would need a module)

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Hello, are you wanting to change your 2020 Mazda 6 handles for 2018 Mazda 3 handles? I cant quite tell what you are talking about from your post.
Sounds like they'd like to get the unlocking functionality of the Mazda 3 handles onto their 6. I don't know of anyone who's done that or what the scope would be for you to get it working. It's possible that the onboard computer between models is the same and would recognize a module from the 3 and act accordingly, but it's doubtful that it would be plug & play.

Personally, I love the little button because I can choose to unlock just my door or all of them; the sensor-based ones don't seem to have that second option.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I can tell you, plug n play on modules aint gonna happen. I wanted all 4 windows (or at least the fronts) to be auto so i got a door panel from a 6 and while it fits and plugs in fine, nothing works at all. Im sure i could futz around in Forscan, but without knowing where to look, i wasted my money.

·
Rally Racer
2,644 Posts
I can tell you, plug n play on modules aint gonna happen. I wanted all 4 windows (or at least the fronts) to be auto so i got a door panel from a 6 and while it fits and plugs in fine, nothing works at all. Im sure i could futz around in Forscan, but without knowing where to look, i wasted my money.
You must be talking about the 2017 yes? @waughoo figured out how to do the auto all down and even vent on his 2004. I believe it is with the Mazdaspeed6 bits

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You must be talking about the 2017 yes? @waughoo figured out how to do the auto all down and even vent on his 2004. I believe it is with the Mazdaspeed6 bits
Yea thats easy on the 1st gens, its all in the motors. The switches are physically different now, so is the PCB.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would be shocked if the door handles from a 2020 3 fit in a Mazda 6. Beyond that, I would suspect the computer would not support the different lock mechanism. If it was available on the 2018 3, it would be far more likely to work.

The good news for you is that the keyless entry in the new 3 is far less reliable than in the old 3 or the 6. Mine fails 10% of the time and I have to take my key fob out of my pocket to open the door in my 2019 3. I think it fails when someone try’s to open another door before I get to the car.

I would rather push a button than have the touch behind the handle that doesn’t always work. (Although the reality is that I would prefer to have anything over the current no need to drive day after day during the pandemic)

·
Administrator
8,503 Posts
...the door handles unlock the door by simply inserting your hand insead of the old fashioned black button
Something else I miss from my 2nd-gen. Along with the auto-open (and close) windows and moonroof with the keyfob.

1st world problems, but still...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, are you wanting to change your 2020 Mazda 6 handles for 2018 Mazda 3 handles? I cant quite tell what you are talking about from your post.
Looking to replace for 2019 or 2020 mazda3 unlocking mechanism, it sux you buy the new 2020 model (new generation too since 2018) but still with technology which was on the previous version since 2014... and now the mazda3 has new gadgets... when you are paying more $$$ for your mazda6 over the mazda3 smh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol!! I did the same on my previous mazda6 2014 (also installed it on my wifes previous 2016 cx5) got the windows control pannel and none of the windows worked, i ended up buying on ebay a module which made the 4 windows 1 touch auto and something I also loved was when i turned off the car and locked the vehicle all the windows rolled up automatically YAY!!! So if you were in a hurry and got to your destination but had the windows down you dont need to worry cuz this module rolls the windows up for you. You can also play with the remote and roll them down too with your keyfob (never learn how to do that) and actually im still planning to buy that module for my 2020 mazda6 and my wifes 2020 cx9 even though we have 4 windows auto the after lock auto roll up windows feature is pretty cool

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking to replace for 2019 or 2020 mazda3 unlocking mechanism, it sux you buy the new 2020 model (new generation too since 2018) but still with technology which was on the previous version since 2014... and now the mazda3 has new gadgets... when you are paying more $$$ for your mazda6 over the mazda3 smh
Not worth it.

I had a 2019 Mazda3 rental/loaner for a week and didn't see what all the fuss is about. The new 3's handle is more sleek with the lack of a button, but it makes it less intuitive to use. I know where and how to open my 6's locks every-time anytime. Now, after reading @DPAcpa 's post, I wonder if it was really just the system having issues, because it seemed like I would miss the sensor a quarter of the time.

As for the new 3's infotainment; I use CarPlay 90% of the time, so it literally makes no difference. Also, the widescreen aspect ratio in the new 3 actually makes CarPlay harder to use as the bottom gets cut off. The new nicer backup camera is wasted and actually harder to use because of the wide aspect ratio, giving you much less actual real estate to look at the camera view. The new infotainment is basic(which isn't a bad thing) and doesn't really add anything useful other than fancier more modern graphics and animations.

Technology-wise the only things that felt more refined was the automatic high-beams and the new audio system. For auto high beams you get a light indicator on the lighting stalk, and you can set it and forget. In my Mazda6, I have enable it each time I drive because the high beams turn on every time you park and turn off the engine. I just manually use my high beams.

While overall I did enjoy the Mazda3 and would still consider buying one, I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel like a beta test car. Of course, the Mazda6's overall technology is based on an older platform where Mazda has had time to work bugs out. Older tech can be a plus, depending on your point of view.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts