Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there you are, cleaning your car on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon. Tunes on the stereo, and you're having a grand old time...Except for the frickin door dinger reminding you that the ignition is on and the driver's door is open. "What can I do about this?" you ask? The answer is simple! Just install one switch and about three feet of wire, and you are listening to tunes without the nicks of a blade, errr, the door dinger going off. Here are some pics:

This is the switch, bought from Radio Shack. Check out the awesome soldering job (remember kids, the bigger the glob, the better the job!):

I installed the switch in the driver's side kick panel.

And finally, I ran two wires (speaker wires) over to the driver's side "door open" switch, cut that wire (green and black) and spliced my switch into it. Now, when the switch is "off", the door dinger is no more (the car thinks the door is closed):

The hardest part was mounting the switch, and that wasn't hard. The only drawback? Don't forgt to turn the switch back on when you're done, or the car won't know when the door has been opened. A pretty good thing if you're a car thief.

Next thing done was the fog lights with parking lights mod. This was posted by masscouncel in a different thread yesterday, so the credit goes to him. Worked like a charm. The added perk is that the fog lights also stay on with the high beams. :) A quick pic:

The last mod I did was actually the first. I installed a Roady XT XM radio in the car. Here is the main problem: The tuner requires 5vdc for power, which means you need to keep the cigarette lighter power cord. I didn't want to have to have a plug plugged into the cigarette ligher socket, so I did this:

Removed the cover from the power plug. There is a small PCB in there that drops the voltage down to the required 5v. I threw away the fuse and the little metal contactor that was in it. Next, I soldered two wires onto the board (one for positive, one for negative). Then put the case back together and hard wired it to the fuse box. Another simple little mod to do.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The foglight mode so interests me but I am concerned I'll fry something sensitive or something.

Nice piece of work though. Nice and clean. I can tell you like peoper fit and finish which is a good quality!

How about some pics of the XM setup?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Considering I had a similar foglight mod on my SVT Contour for over 150,000 without problems, I don't think it will fry anything.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
thats alot of work just to stop a door ding...just find and unplug the speaker/ding module.
[/b]

Or you can have the dealer turn it off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The disable switch took about a half hour to do, and cost about $4.00 for the switch. Why not have the dealer disabloe it or just unplug it? Because normally I like the reminder that I left the ignition on. A switch is a very easy thing to install and use.

The original foglight post: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=50373 Good info posted on this one. Easy to do, and you won't fry a thing.

I'll take a couple more pics of the XM tomorrow in the light. Too dark now. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
jaywoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing