Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo we all know about the turbo kits out and such but they are so expensive and complex. I was wondering, what if I just went a bolted a turbo on....thats it, with the addition of a few plumbing items for intake and headers for the turbo. But basically a cheap and easy setup with a manuel boost controller....I wasnt wanting to run alot of boost...just something small like 2 PSI something to add about 10-30 hp...not a big gain...any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i really hope you aren't serious. why would you run 2 psi? just get a bottle and run NOS. you could if you really wanted to i'd guess, but tuning is still in the air....more air still needs more fuel....not sure if stock would still be ok with 2psi?

BUT let me tell you how to do it, you can get a turbo manfold for the duratech for like $250 online, grab a stock turbo from an WRX (like $100 or less in some cases), grab piping from ebay....who needs an IC for 2psi? maybe $100 for a welder to put the right flanges on and a place for the MAF sensor, $50 for oil lines and fittings....you are golden.

you now have a $500 turbo kit, that might work.

have fun with that

·
Registered
384 Posts
you know i was thinkin of maybe goin the same route...i dotn need 250hp...realistically all i want is 175whp from my i4...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
you know i was thinkin of maybe goin the same route...i dotn need 250hp...realistically all i want is 175whp from my i4...
[/b]
WTF you can get that by staying NA and spending less oney than by going FI

·
Registered
375 Posts
how would you get that much power NA out of this car?
i was gonna say for less money but i dont even care about that part...

has it even been done yet?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Higher compression pistons/cams (did you guys ever get those?) could get you there. But then you still need tuning.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
If just a CAI throws a cell. i'm sure something annoying would happen with this without tuning?? I don't know

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Oh you'd be getting a lean CEL code for sure.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
What exactly is the average case scenerio that probably would/could happen with this idea and running 2psi on stock?

I have no plans on this, I already have my plans going with my hiboost kit, and that's to much waste for 2psi personally. But; just out of curiosity.

Especially since I'm sure others are thinking the same thing.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
stock block will hold everything, no problem. i just don't know about tuning....i wouldn't risk it unless u saw it on a dyno with A/F readings looking good. what i will say, is if you have a small turbo that spools like a bitch but doesn't flow anything, the car is still damn fun and peppy at even 0psi (rarely get into boost on my daily drive sometimes)...so 2psi wouldn't be bad at all.

for those that didn't catch it in the other thread, HiBoost is doing a GB over on the 3 forums. first 5 orders get like $500 off! not sure if it includes the 6 kit or not, but email him if you are interested. have to finish payment by end of December i think it was. so just a deposit now if that works for any.

·
Registered
152 Posts
[/b]
well, lets see...
i4=165hp right?
Adding the following should get you there:
Mazdaspeed badge: at LEAST 10hp=175hp
sports grill: that's gotta be good for another 10hp=185hp

let's not forget about e-bay,
that 'chip' is good for like 25hp=215hp
oh, the 'tornado' thingy= 15hp=230hp
ground that system= 10hp=240hp
electric supercharger=25hp=265hp

there you go, who needs a turbo???

screw it, take off the brakes, they're just a drag anyways...
oh, and remove the airbags, stereo, and all the damn interior for less weight...

(sorry folks, I just felt the need to chime in after a 12 pack) :cheers:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Or you could just ask these dudes for a turbo system! I think this turbo sell for less then 50 dollars!!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/8d63...82e0158dbda.htm

well, lets see...
i4=165hp right?
Adding the following should get you there:
Mazdaspeed badge: at LEAST 10hp=175hp
sports grill: that's gotta be good for another 10hp=185hp

let's not forget about e-bay,
that 'chip' is good for like 25hp=215hp
oh, the 'tornado' thingy= 15hp=230hp
ground that system= 10hp=240hp
electric supercharger=25hp=265hp

there you go, who needs a turbo???

screw it, take off the brakes, they're just a drag anyways...
oh, and remove the airbags, stereo, and all the damn interior for less weight...

(sorry folks, I just felt the need to chime in after a 12 pack) :cheers:
[/b]

177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, our I-4s over here already produce 220hp....I thought just adding a slight amount of boost would be okay. Not enough to have to do things like get better injectors and such, but just add some umph.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Well, our I-4s over here already produce 220hp....I thought just adding a slight amount of boost would be okay. Not enough to have to do things like get better injectors and such, but just add some umph.
[/b]
Go for it. And get it dyno'd and check out the A/f readings to see if that littl eeven effects much at all. or what. then get back to us... Your's is the 2.0 isn't it? or is it the same 2.3 as ours just without the emissions?

177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go for it. And get it dyno'd and check out the A/f readings to see if that littl eeven effects much at all. or what. then get back to us... Your's is the 2.0 isn't it? or is it the same 2.3 as ours just without the emissions?
[/b]
No its the 2.3. And it has more emission crap than the stateside 2.3, but it is made to put out more power....higher compression and shit. Made to run on 97 octane....(Japans high octane)

·
Registered
542 Posts
No its the 2.3. And it has more emission crap than the stateside 2.3, but it is made to put out more power....higher compression and shit. Made to run on 97 octane....(Japans high octane)
[/b]
So will the japanese engine stock upgrades work with the north america engines?? Thats over 50 HP+ horsepower difference and I do believe they all run off the MZR engine 2.3 liter platform but I can't seem to find the differnce in the JDM specs to the north american specs??!!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i think there is a misunderstanding somewhere.....there is no way that the stock car is putting out anything close to 190-200whp. i don't think i have ever seen a dyno in that range, i know it ups hp with the higher octane....but that's 40hp to the wheels from octane/stock ecu adjustments.

any dyno's that you know of that show otherwise? hard to find dyno's when i'm guessing they'll be on forums i don't understand.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well I think there is no way that it produces that much horsepower as well, but not able to read japanese I had a problem of finding the horsepower specs at mazda japan!
But I did get this info from the mazda3 forum guys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Mazda3
And I do beleive that the atenza and axela are running the same 2.3L motor in japan!
[edit] Engines
The Axela uses the following engines; all except the European diesel are Mazda MZR engines.

Japanese market (JIS ratings):

1.5 L (91.8 cu. in.): 113 bhp (83 kW), 104 lbf·ft (141 N·m)
2.0 L (122 cu. in.): 150 bhp (112 kW), 140 lbf·ft (190 N·m)
2.3 L (137.9 cu. in.): 178 bhp (133 kW), 155 lbf·ft (210 N·m)
European market (DIN ratings):

1.4 L (82.6 cu. in.): 83 bhp (62 kW), 90 lbf·ft (122 N·m)
1.6 L (98 cu. in.): 104 bhp (78 kW), 107 lbf·ft (145 N·m)
2.0 L (122 cu. in.): 148 bhp (110 kW) and 138 lbf·ft (187 N·m)
1.6 L (98 cu. in.) Duratorq diesel: 108 bhp (80 kW), 177 lbf·ft (239 N·m)
American & Canadian markets (SAE net ratings):

2.0 L (122 cu. in.): 148 bhp (110 kW), 135 lbf·ft (183 N·m)
2.3 L (137.9 cu. in.): 156 bhp (116 kW), 150 lbf·ft (203 N·m)
Philippine market (DIN ratings):

1.6 L (98 cu. in.): 104 bhp (78 kW), 107 lbf·ft (145 N·m)
2.0 L (122 cu. in.): 148 bhp (110 kW) and 138 lbf·ft (187 N·m)
Mazda changed the ratings for US Market 2007 2.3L engine models only

2.3 L (137.9 cu. in.): 156 bhp (117 kW), 150 lbf ft (203 Nm)
Australian market (ADR net ratings):

2.0 L (122 cu. in.): 145 bhp (108 kW), 134 lbf·ft (182 N·m)
2.3 L (137.9 cu. in.): 154 bhp (115 kW), 150 lbf·ft (203 N·m)
2.3 L (137.9 cu. in.) DISI MZR: 255 bhp (190 kW), 280 lbf·ft (380 N·m)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
any answers or updates/dyno's for us to see Okinawa? i'm really interested to see if it's possible on the stock setup to get that high. if so, i'll do some digging to find out how that's possible....but don't wanna do all the footwork if it's false info. if it's true, maybe we can do some stuff to get us that high over here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts