Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Focus, Cougar, SVT Contour, Contour, X-Type, Cobra.....the thing people always bring up in all of the forums is cutting their springs. Has anyone tried it? It always seemed ghetto to me. BUT until there is a decent spring out there it might be the only option to get the Super Duty look out of there. I don't know crap about this, nor would I ever do it.

My concern with lowering springs is blowing the shocks. Gotta have a good shock to go with the spring.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You could do a search here and www.mazda6tech.com. There was a discussion of cutting springs. No one was really excited about the idea (and since you're going to replace shocks anyway, why not go with a nice set of coil-overs).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
There are decent springs, Autoexe makes them. The drop is mild enough that the stock shocks should last a long time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I could see cutting the fronts, but the way the rears are shaped, you could not do it. The rear spring winds flat at both ends and if you cut a loop, you would loose that flat mounting surface.

·
Registered
721 Posts
yes the seating position of the spring would be f'd up. not to mention the unknown spring rate by the time your done would throw the balance way out of wack.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
don't cut your springs...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cutting the springs will not change the handling. It will only lower the car. So imagine trying to get the same spring travel out of the shortened springs, with no room to move. You will hit your bump stops quite often. And for sure blow out your shocks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cutting the springs will not change the handling. It will only lower the car. So imagine trying to get the same spring travel out of the shortened springs, with no room to move. You will hit your bump stops quite often. And for sure blow out your shocks.
[/b]
Cutting the spring changes the spring rate and lowers the ride height, both affect handling... Cutting springs also reduces their fatigue strength and increases the risk of spring fracture.

I echo previous comments... You really don't want to cut your springs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts