Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've read the sticky before, but needed some clarification. I'm not concerned about handling, I just want my tires to last and have the car sit straight. I may be hitting the 1/4 mile in the spring... no autocross. Joel sent me the specs, and I accidentally erased the entire page of my most recent emails (before the new site). So he and Forzda1 emailed them to me again, but since the update to the site, my emails were jammed to the max, and they got lost in the shuffle. For some reason, I only have the ones I sent, and not the replies.

I'm getting the SPC ball joints installed tomorrow morning, and I have to get the alignment done right after, and I don't know the proper specs for me and my driving style. I think they said to keep the toe at 0, or 0.01 at the max. I think he said front camber at -0.5 to -0.7, but I'm not sure. I have no idea about the rear.

I've read through a few threads, but I see various numbers, and I'm not sure what to go with. Please help a knucklehead out!

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Heh, Joel's specs to me were -.8 front camber, -1.4 rear camber, toe .01 front and zero rear.

I had a shop do a custom alignment to these specs. My old Kumho Ecsta SPT's tramlined a little bit on our Oregon wagon rut pavement because everyone thinks they need studs even though we get one day of snow a year. My new Sumitomo HTR Z III tires don't tramline much and also have better feedback and grip. So yeah, tires can possibly make a difference with how your alignment feels also.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, Joel's specs to me were -.8 front camber, -1.4 rear camber, toe .01 front and zero rear.

I had a shop do a custom alignment to these specs. My old Kumho Ecsta SPT's tramlined a little bit on our Oregon wagon rut pavement because everyone thinks they need studs even though we get one day of snow a year. My new Sumitomo HTR Z III tires don't tramline much and also have better feedback and grip. So yeah, tires can possibly make a difference with how your alignment feels also.
Thanks triplejumper, you're a life-saver!! I really appreciate the info!!! :)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Thanks triplejumper, you're a life-saver!! I really appreciate the info!!! :)
No prob. Hopefully the shop you go to will do X number of readjustments in a certain time frame. I'd imagine that your driving style and your road quality could impact how those specs actually work out for you. AWD fun cars like ours with soft tread tires help to amplify tire wear "issues" versus a person like my parents with a vanilla Camry and 500 treadlife all season tires.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No prob. Hopefully the shop you go to will do X number of readjustments in a certain time frame. I'd imagine that your driving style and your road quality could impact how those specs actually work out for you. AWD fun cars like ours with soft tread tires help to amplify tire wear "issues" versus a person like my parents with a vanilla Camry and 500 treadlife all season tires.
Cool. I'm kinda tight on time, but someone suggested NTB, and they will set them to the exact specs. They said they'd guarantee it for a year.. so hopefully it'll work out okay. I'm in the Boston area, so the road quality is piss poor! I'm pretty good at dodging the potholes though (more like land mines). I do some hard cornering from time to time around town, but nothing crazy. I don't do a ton of highway driving either.
When my stock tires went bad after a few thousand miles, I bought a new set of (cheap) wheels and tires... Nexen 5000n's ($902 mounted, balanced, and shipped! lol). The funny thing is that they've held up better than the stockers. They are M+S tires, and they give a softer ride, which I actually like. I had my previous car dropped with pretty hard springs, and I def don't miss that. I think the treadlife is like 420 or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts