Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, didn't find any threads with same issue but wondering if anyone has had a problem with the dome lights. I have a 2005 and when the switch is in door mode, the lights don't come on when the doors are opened.The lights stay on when the doors are closed, they are very dim but still on. The lights work fine using the individual push buttons. I've replaced all four door switches, headlight switch and main dome light unit and nothing changed. almost sounds like a ground issue, but don't know where to start looking.

·
Rally Racer
2,512 Posts
Hello. Just so I am understanding you correctly.
1. None of the dome lights illuminate when any door is opened and the dome switch is on [DOOR]. Not even dimly?
2. When the doors are closed and the dome switch is on [DOOR] all the dome bulbs illuminate very dimly?
3. With the doors closed and the dome lights on dimly do they ever turn off?
4. Is the "dome light unit" you refer to the housing in the headliner?

Based on this (#2) I would suspect a short. My guess would be the door lock timer unit located deep in Dagobah.
Check way up behind the glove box. I think the dealer accesses it through the passenger airbag cover behind the airbag but if you lay on your back on the passenger side of the floor you should see it attached to a small bracket with two plugs coming out. Water will run down the A-pillar and drip into it causing a short (bad windscreen replacement or plugged sunroof drain channels). Sometimes just removing and reconnecting the plugs will fix it but it will have to be removed from the vehicle to test.

I am attaching everything you should need to test it. Good luck.
2004 Mazda 6 Door Lock Control Module.jpg 2004 Mazda 6 Keyless Entry System wiring.jpg 2004 Mazda 6 Door Lock Control Module inspection 01.jpg 2004 Mazda 6 Door Lock Control Module inspection 02.jpg 2004 Mazda 6 Door Lock Control Module inspection 03.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello. Just so I am understanding you correctly.
1. None of the dome lights illuminate when any door is opened and the dome switch is on [DOOR]. Not even dimly?
2. When the doors are closed and the dome switch is on [DOOR] all the dome bulbs illuminate very dimly?
3. With the doors closed and the dome lights on dimly do they ever turn off?
4. Is the "dome light unit" you refer to the housing in the headliner?

Based on this (#2) I would suspect a short. My guess would be the door lock timer unit located deep in Dagobah.
Check way up behind the glove box. I think the dealer accesses it through the passenger airbag cover behind the airbag but if you lay on your back on the passenger side of the floor you should see it attached to a small bracket with two plugs coming out. Water will run down the A-pillar and drip into it causing a short (bad windscreen replacement or plugged sunroof drain channels). Sometimes just removing and reconnecting the plugs will fix it but it will have to be removed from the vehicle to test.

I am attaching everything you should need to test it. Good luck.
View attachment 239567 View attachment 239568 View attachment 239569 View attachment 239570 View attachment 239571
Hello, correct that none of the dome lights work when any doors are open. Yes all the dome lights and courtesy lights are dimly light when the doors are closed and the switch is in the "door" position. No the lights never turn off. Yes the dome light unit is the main one in the headliner. Unfortunately I can't read the attachments you sent and if I zoom they're too blurry. I will look for the door lock timer.

·
Rally Racer
2,512 Posts
Hello, correct that none of the dome lights work when any doors are open. Yes all the dome lights and courtesy lights are dimly light when the doors are closed and the switch is in the "door" position. No the lights never turn off. Yes the dome light unit is the main one in the headliner. Unfortunately I can't read the attachments you sent and if I zoom they're too blurry. I will look for the door lock timer.
Great, it sounds like the module. The pics are 1400x1800dpi and JPG format. If you have access to a computer most should be able to read and zoom well. I can also download them on my Android device and zoom.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, it sounds like the module. The pics are 1400x1800dpi and JPG format. If you have access to a computer most should be able to read and zoom well. I can also download them on my Android device and zoom.
Good luck.
I was able to view and print the documents, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck.
Hello, installed the new module and the lights work perfectly now, thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts