Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with a GT have dogs and take them in their MS6? I haven't taken my dogs in my car yet and I want to know if the dog's nails will puncture the leather. I'd rather not take that chance, but if others have and the leather is stiff enough and thick enough, I can do it.

Someone please let me know.

·
Registered
364 Posts
get a blanket and lay it over the back.

dog nails + leather dont mix

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
What kind of dogs??

You need to get in touch with Marlon (msulimin)(sp?), he is a german shepherd breeder so I'm sure he knows... :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dog rides every so often and hasn't punctured yet. She has scratched the leather in my Land Cruiser so I can't say it won't happen in the MS6. It probably depends on how big your dog is and how sharp the nails are.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's why I got cloth, dog is with a lot :)

I can't speak for the MS6 leather, but the Protege 5 leather held up great with the dog. He's 80 pounds and didn't wreck it at all.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Had my Doberman Pincher in the GT once. Put some towels across the back seat though. No problems. THough she only rode in it twice.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had my Doberman Pincher in the GT once. Put some towels across the back seat though. No problems. THough she only rode in it twice.
[/b]
I have a Black Lab and a Min Pin. I always put a towel in the back seat for the lab, but the Min Pin is what I'm concerned about it the front seat. I already know that he will make the weight sensor for the airbag go crazy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
THAT'S SLICK.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Get a pet hammock or use a large blanket/quilt.

[/b]

That is cool, where did you get that?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a pet hammock or use a large blanket/quilt.

[/b]
holy crap, that's the coolest thing EVER! Mazda should scrap the useless cargo nets and offer those things with an MS6 badge. My concern isn't the rear seats though. It's the front passenger seat with that little guy down there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
my dogs ride along, but in booster seats.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No racing harness for the pooch? Doesn't he go flying onto the rear package shelf when you launch?
[/b]
I haven't taken him in the MS6. I take him in my 6s, but yes he does go flying when I launch, or turn for that matter. In the 6s, I can hold him, but I won't be able to in the MS6 because I'll have to shift gears. He needs a doggy harness.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Dog hairs alone keep me from taking my Shepherd in this car...which is why I use the wife's :D

Blanket or no blanket, my dog's nails with 100+ weight would go right through the seats IMO. If anything, put the seats down so he has something solid to stand on.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Those pet hammocks are available lots of places, like PetSmart. Santa is supposed to bring me one this year.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dog hairs alone keep me from taking my Shepherd in this car...which is why I use the wife's :D

Blanket or no blanket, my dog's nails with 100+ weight would go right through the seats IMO. If anything, put the seats down so he has something solid to stand on.
[/b]
Here's a little mathematical equation I came up with to demonstrate what would happen to the dog on a launch with the MS6 and I'll use a quarter mile as I have both the time and distance as needed: linear velocity of the car... v=(1320)/13.7; velocity=96.35 feet/sec or 29.2 meters/sec.

The dog isn't moving at the same velocity as the car, assuming no wind, or resistance to the car, the we can atleast factor in the dog's coefficient of friction on the seats. Since the seats are leather, the frictional coefficient would be something like 0.3., so the frictional force of the dog at rest while standing on the leather is 0.3(10lbs.)=3 meters/sec.; so...

29.2 meters/sec. - 3 meters/sec. = 26.2 meters per second as the linear velocity of the dog while flying backwards from the front seat to the rear shelf.

And that concludes our physics lesson for the day.

Now that I have actually done the math, maybe it's better to just keep the little guy at home

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
ROFL... I WILL PAY.... MONEY!... CASH.... to someone who makes a video of a dog sitting in the seat of a MS6... and launching... showing the dog fly back and get slammed against the seat.... Good stuff!....

That being said.. I had a small puppy in my speed6 for about 4 hours of traffic to the airport... I had a blanket cover the pass-seat and floor...she slept most of the trip... chewed on my finger for part of it... such a cute dog.. i miss her... However... i was bein careful... didn't want to make her sick...

Moral of the story.. don't be an ass.. DO NOT SMOKE IN YOUR SPEED6... DO NOT LET ANIMALS RUN WILD.... take care of the car... =)

Makes me cry to see sport nice cars ruined by smokers.. and/or animals

·
Registered
875 Posts

My dog loves riding in it. He either rides shotgun and sits still or rides in back with his head out the window. I never drive like a nut though with him in it. I care to much to hurt him.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
yeah, I take one of my 2 dogs in the car with me occasionally, the Aussie. Our other dog is far too big (like 90lbs) and has nails that would tear the Sh&t out of the leather. Even my Aussie has left a couple of marks when I had to stop fast in traffic. I've been using a blanket, but that seems to lead to more sliding which is worse for her

Honestly, she doesn't like it as much as my old truck with an auto tranny, the shifting is not as smooth and she's bonked her head a couple of times accidentally so I take her much less than I used to. One of the trade offs of the MS6, I guess

1 - 20 of 40 Posts