Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a poor idle condition and was thinking about checking the Idle Air Control valve. But I don't see one. Does this 2006 3.0L have an IAC valve?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a poor idle condition and was thinking about checking the Idle Air Control valve. But I don't see one. Does this 2006 3.0L have an IAC valve?

The 3.0 does not have one it is all controlled through the TB, what do you mean by poor idle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idle drops at stop signs and I have EVAP error codes. I just bought two pair of very long needle nose pliers (one with a 90 degree bend) to make replacing the evap purge solenoid easier. But thought about checking the IACV just in case.

I also don't like the way it sounds at idle, it has sort of a slight "thrumming" sounds. (Not real steady.)

·
Rally Racer
1,761 Posts
One of the first places to check is for vacuum leaks, especially the accordion intake tube then the hoses on the back of the intake.
A good cleaning of the MAF/IAT/TB can also be helpful. Without knowing what your symptoms are, I also found it helpful to wipe the metal dust off the CPS and CMP (especially true if you have higher miles).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The intake tube was replaced this summer with a new Mazda part. I cleaned the throttle body and the EGR valve when I was there. Also cleaned the MAS.

What's CPS and CMP?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered Dorman 911-702. Amazon delivers Thursday. Will be glad to have that thing replaced finally.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ordered Dorman 911-702. Amazon delivers Thursday. Will be glad to have that thing replaced finally.
That took care of my problem when I had idle issues and EVAP codes. A real pain in the ass to replace, but with patience, and long needle noses, it came out just fine. I would recommend first getting it off of the mount it's attached to - just takes a little muscle and commitment. After that, it's much easier to get your hands on it to maneuver it.

I found it curious that the EVAP problem acted like a vacuum leak which is what I chased at first until I got the gross EVAP leak code. I didn't know that would happen - learned something new.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The EVAP code I'm getting is P0455 (system large leak detected.) Also P2189 and P0151. The valve cover and oil pan were leaking oil everywhere so I fixed that second (,,,first round of repairs was the new intake tube, cleaning the TB, EGR valve and the MAF sensor, and a new gas cap.)

Somehow oil was leaking onto the front downstream O2 sensor (and the cat heat shielding) and making a ton of smoke. I thought that maybe the oil leak from the valve cover was causing the P0151 (O2 sensor) error code because the thickest smoke was rolling off the O2 sensor.

Yesterday, I was under the car again (after 300 miles on the new gaskets) to track down a remaining small oil leak that's coming from the back of the engine. The leak source is the back passenger side corner; looks like is might be just above the CKP sensor. The sensor was very wet with old oil (and maybe new oil.) Hard to tell because there's oily grime everywhere, so I emptied a can of brake cleaner and will re-check that area soon.

Thank you DrFeelGood for schooling me on the CKP sensor. I saw that it was covered with oil sludge, but I didn't know what it was. The manual suggests removing it through the wheel well, but it looks accessible from underneath.

The CKP sensor harness connector is also saturated with oil. Who knows, that might cause a bad signal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here I hope this helps

Trouble Code: P0151 (3.0L V6 VIN - Std)
HO2S (LF) Circuit Low Input

Number of Trips to Set Code: 2
OBD II Monitor Type: CCM
Indicators: MIL

• O2S HTR
  • MIL
Trouble Code Conditions:
* The PCM monitors the front HO2S output voltage when the following conditions are met. If output voltage is less than 0.1 V for 41 s, the PCM determines that the front HO2S signal remains lean. MONITORING CONDITION ■Fuel injection control system status: feedback zone * The PCM monitors the input voltage from the front HO2S when the following conditions are met. Under the following monitoring conditions, if the input voltage from the front HO2S does not exceed 0.1 V though the short term fuel trim is controlled up to 25% for 9.6 s, the PCM determines that sensor circuit is not activated. MONITORING CONDITIONS ■HO2S, HO2S heater and TWC Repair Verification Drive Mode ■Following conditions are met * Time from engine start is above 50 s (ECT when engine start is 20 °C {68 °F}).
Possible Causes:

• * HO2S (RF) malfunction
  • * Short to ground in wiring between HO2S (RF) terminal A and PCM terminal 2AK
  • * Open circuit between HO2S (RF) terminal A and PCM terminal 2AK
  • * Open circuit between HO2S (RF) terminal B and PCM terminal 2AV
  • * HO2S (LR) malfunction
  • * Short to ground in wiring between HO2S (LF) terminal A and PCM terminal 2AL
  • * Open circuit between HO2S (LF) terminal A and PCM terminal 2AL
  • * Open circuit between HO2S (LF) terminal B and PCM terminal 2AX
  • * PCM malfunction
Trouble Code: P2189 (3.0L V6 VIN - Std)
Fuel System Too Lean At Off Idle (Left Bank)

• Fuel
  • MIL
Trouble Code Conditions:
* PCM monitors short term fuel trim (SHRTFT) and long term fuel trim (LONGFT) during closed loop fuel control at idle. If the LONGFT and the sum total of these fuel trims exceed preprogrammed criteria. PCM determines that fuel system is too lean at idle.
Possible Causes:

• * Misfire
  • * HO2S (RF, LF) deterioration
  • * HO2S heater (RF, LF) malfunction
  • * MAF sensor malfunction
  • * Pressure regulator (built-in fuel injection pump) malfunction
  • * Fuel pump malfunction
  • * Fuel filter clogged or restricted
  • * Fuel leakage on fuel line from fuel delivery pipe and fuel pump
  • * Leakage exhaust system
  • * Purge solenoid valve malfunction
  • * Purge solenoid hoses improper connection
  • * Air suction in intake-air system
  • * Insufficient engine compression
  • * Variable valve timing control system improper operation
  • * PCM malfunction
Trouble Code: P0455 (3.0L V6 VIN - Std)
EVAP System Large Leak (0.080”) Detected

• CCM
  • MIL
Trouble Code Conditions:
DTC P0443 not set, ECT sensor signal from 14-90ºF, IAT sensor signal more than 14ºF at startup, BARO sensor more than 72 kPa, fuel level from 15-85%, ECT sensor signal from 158-212ºF and IAT sensor signal from 14-131ºF during testing, vehicle driven at 24-65 mph at an engine speed of 1000-4000 rpm, calculated engine load of 9-65% and a throttle angle from 3-31.6%, then with the CDCV (valve) closed, the PCM detected the fuel tank pressure was less than a threshold due to a blockage or a large leak (0.080”) somewhere in the system during the EVAP Monitor test. Note: The target fuel tank pressure for this test is minus (-) 0.99 kPa.
Possible Causes:

• * Fuel filler cap loose, cross-threaded, incorrect part or damaged
  • * Purge solenoid valve is damaged or has failed
  • * Charcoal canister is loaded with fuel or moisture, or has failed
  • * Canister drain cut valve (CDCV) is damaged or leaking
  • * Fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor is damaged or has failed
  • * Catch tank or rollover valve is damaged, or fuel tank is leaking
  • * Vapor line(s) damaged or leaking between the purge solenoid and intake manifold, purge solenoid and canister, or between the pressure control valve, check valve and rollover valve
  • * PCM has failed

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That is helpful Raksj04, thank you.

A strange thing happened when this EVAP issue became a real problem. After refueling I was having a difficult time restarting the car. Also the engine idle would drop at stop signs, and stall out (those are very common symptoms.) What's strange is that after I changed to non-ethanol gas, those problems were greatly reduced.

The idle will occasionally falter at stop signs, but it's nothing like it used to be. Who knows,,,but changing to non-ethanol gas seems to have improved drive-ability during this particular EVAP problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is helpful Raksj04, thank you.

A strange thing happened when this EVAP issue became a real problem. After refueling I was having a difficult time restarting the car. Also the engine idle would drop at stop signs, and stall out (those are very common symptoms.) What's strange is that after I changed to non-ethanol gas, those problems were greatly reduced.

The idle will occasionally stutter at stop signs, but it's nothing like it used to be. Who knows,,,but changing to non-ethanol gas seems to improve drive-ability during this particular EVAP problem.

If I understand the system correctly a stuck open purge solenoid could cause a vacuum leak. Here is a link for the TSB that covers the P0455 code. https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/01-023-10.pdf

Having a troubleshooting guide, makes fixing stuff like this way easier. lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Dorman valve was just delivered. It won't hold more than 5inHg and the vacuum drops off fast. Not sure if this valve is up to par. Maybe I'm confused...Will update in a few minutes when the old valve is out. (How the heck does that harnesses connector unplug?)

Never mind, I'm testing it backwards. The line from the manifold loops over the top of the valve. That's a little confusing because the loop is not visible.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The old valve is out. It's a Bosch. It has 20 ohms just like the new valve. I gave it 12 volts, it opened, and then it remained opened. Bad valve,,,good to know.

Made in Germany.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked my codes and P0455 is gone.

Now I'm working with P2144. "EGR boost sensor solenoid valve circuit low input." What does that all really mean?

Anyone know how to test that solenoid? And does anyone know the part number?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I checked my codes and P0455 is gone.

Now I'm working with P2144. "EGR boost sensor solenoid valve circuit low input." What does that all really mean?

Anyone know how to test that solenoid? And does anyone know the part number?

The boost sensor solenoid is on the firewall behind the EGR valve. If you're standing at the radiator looking at the firewall with the hood up, it is the right hand gizmo on the bracket right below the wipers. I just replaced mine for a different code.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, just to the right of the MAP sensor. I was looking at it last night. It holds a vacuum, but maybe it doesn't open and close right.

I'm having a little trouble finding a replacement part.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've look at Amazon, Rockauto, Autozone and Advanceautoparts. Can't find a new solenoid.

Have you tried typing in the part number on eBay? I find most of my parts that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
6 Participants
waughoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing