Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so now that it's getting cooler we've got the climate control set to higher than ambient temps, and the AC is still on. When I turn the ac switch off, it turns off the AUTO climate light.

Will the AC turn off when it's less humid outside, perhaps? or does the auto climate-o-matic always keep it on. Seems inefficient if it does

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've wondered this same thing as well. However, I've found that when the climate control is set to auto and you push the ac button, the system is still on auto mode (meaning the fan and is still automatically controlled) even though the auto light stays off. I've done this lately since it has been getting cooler lately around here.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Search a bit; iammike basically figured this all out. If you're lazy:

1. The AC light does not mean "AC is on". It means "the AC will turn on when it's hot enough"
2. Press AUTO, then AC button. The AC is forced off but everything else will be auto. But there's no reason to do so, see #1.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ya plus it uses the ac as needed to get rid of moister from what I have seen. Not sure if it has a sensor, or if it just goes by temp. Cuz it will put the defrost on a times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so searching posts from iammike turned up two things

1) when the AC light is on, it does not necessarily mean that the compressor is engaged, it comes on and off as needed
2) if you turn on AUTO, then turn off AC, it will force the AC off, but maintain the rest of the AUTO functionality.

can anyone confirm that #1 is factual? I haven't had a chance to play with either of these items, but will test it out as best I can

·
Registered
467 Posts
1 is factual. Think about it: when you turn on a home A/C (power is on) is it the compressor always on? No, there's a thermostat that controls it.

If the compressor always on when the light was on, then you'd get really cold in the summer, because it would never turn off!

The light means A/C is available, not that it's currently cooling.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
turn on the auto control, then click through all the mode options, and observe ac lite:

1) if ac lite is on, ac is used as needed, AND you have the option to disable the compressor in that mode (at that time). This is usually FACE or FACE + FEET modes.

2) if ac lite is off, system will use the compressor as needed, and you usually can't easily disable compressor in that mode. (search my posts for non-obvious ways to disable compressor in these modes)

·
Registered
467 Posts
2) if ac lite is off, system will use the compressor as needed, and you usually can't easily disable compressor in that mode. (search my posts for non-obvious ways to disable compressor in these modes) [/b]
Your computer must be different than mine. When I press AUTO, the A/C light always comes on and stays on.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Your computer must be different than mine. When I press AUTO, the A/C light always comes on and stays on.
[/b]
ac lite doesn't go off when clicking through modes?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, "auto" always defaults to the AC being on. No, there is no mod to change that default. You can turn it off manually by pressing the AC button. I know the auto light goes off, but all of your auto settings and functions remain (i.e. the temp setting, etc.) except for what you change manually. ;)

Damnit! Where is DaBears2k when you need him!!!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
so now that it's getting cooler we've got the climate control set to higher than ambient temps, and the AC is still on. When I turn the ac switch off, it turns off the AUTO climate light.

Will the AC turn off when it's less humid outside, perhaps? or does the auto climate-o-matic always keep it on. Seems inefficient if it does [/b]
I have a different but related question: I have a 2006 6s Sport with the auto climate control. I have the system in manual mode with the air intake set to outside, the vents set to floor, heat turned on to about 75 degrees, and the A/C light is OFF. My a/c compressor (and of course the cooling fans) cycles on and off every couple minutes even with the controls set as above. It is NOT in auto, the a/c light is NOT on, the vent controls are not set to any defrost modes, and still the compressor cycles on and off.
Yes, I've verified that it is indeed the compressor, not just the fans.
Anyone else having this happen, or does my climate control system have some sort of a problem?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don’t know if this when the light is on the ac is on and that is it not when it needs it and when it doesn’t need it is all that true. Me being from MN we use the AC to defog the windows in the winter. So if what you are saying is true then I will not be able to use this method anymore. I think that if the light is on the ac is on and that is the bottom line. The climate control may just add warm air to the low setting on the ac to make it hold a temp but it will not shut off the ac altogether.

That’s just what I think.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a different but related question: I have a 2006 6s Sport with the auto climate control. I have the system in manual mode with the air intake set to outside, the vents set to floor, heat turned on to about 75 degrees, and the A/C light is OFF. My a/c compressor (and of course the cooling fans) cycles on and off every couple minutes even with the controls set as above. It is NOT in auto, the a/c light is NOT on, the vent controls are not set to any defrost modes, and still the compressor cycles on and off.
Anyone else having this happen, or does my climate control system have some sort of a problem?

[/b]
with the regular climate control, if you have the output set to floor the a/c is available, same with floor+def, def etc. perhaps its the same for the auto

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Good to know. I was getting very annoyed with having the AC "ON" all the time. [/b]
well, good and bad:

good to know there isn't something wrong with my car, bad to know that by design the a/c runs even when I really dont want it to. :irate:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,570 Posts
well, good and bad:

good to know there isn't something wrong with my car, bad to know that by design the a/c runs even when I really dont want it to. :irate:
[/b]
It's the compressor that cycles when the floor mode is on, and it's not a bad thing that it does. Consider that when you have the A/C on in the summer, the air that blows out is cooler and DRYER, ie. less humidity. It's a good thing during the summer, and also in the winter. If the floor (ie heat) wasn't treated by the compressor, the humid air would DEFINITELY fog up your windows when it rises from your footwells, especially against a cold pane of glass that's exposed to 10-degree weather outside.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
[/b]
That's normal. Now if you want to turn off the compressor under those conditions:

1) turn acc on (acc and ac lights come on)
2) adjust fan speed (don't touch mode selector)
3) if acc switched mode to floor+face, turn temp up so feet mode occurs again
4) push ac button off (ac and acc lights go off)

compressor will stay off, unless you change modes and then go back to floor ... you will again have compressor cycles with no ac (or acc) light.

Only true manual mode is when you have adjusted everything, and set temp to eith 60 or 90, and are in face or face+feet modes where ac compressor can be turned off directly.

... If the floor (ie heat) wasn't treated by the compressor, the humid air would DEFINITELY fog up your windows when it rises from your footwells, especially against a cold pane of glass that's exposed to 10-degree weather outside.
[/b]
It does not have to rise from your feet to fog a window, as floor mode includes some windshield air. rt%m

1 - 17 of 17 Posts