Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
no it doesnt. the HU puts out a flat signal. all the EQ is done in the stock amp.
[/b]
Actually that may not be the case. In fact, I would be very surprised if it is. Most stock headunits use an automatic, variable loudness contour that increases low frequency reponse at low volumes and reduces it at high volumes. This is their way of "protecting" the speakers from an over-agressive listener. Delco (GM) headunits made this one famous over the years.

There may in fact be an equalization circuit in the amplifiers as well.

One way or another the JL Clean Sweep is a VERY worthwile investment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The bose head unit has been tested to produce a totally flat frequency response at any volume.

Here's the post:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=34400&hl=
[/b]
Not buying it. I have been doing this way too long. Most high end aftermarket head units can't even achieve a completely flat (in this case +/- 1dB) response.

Clean sweep or similar is still a much better way to go.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Not buying it. I have been doing this way too long. Most high end aftermarket head units can't even achieve a completely flat (in this case +/- 1dB) response.

Clean sweep or similar is still a much better way to go.
[/b]
u can do whatever you want. its not necessary, but if you plan on going with a full sound system, it's probably better to have. theres a few people here that have rockford 3sixty's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm located in Australia where the cleansweep is unavailable and the RF 360 models have been recently released at a very good price (AU$499 for the 360.1) and with very good reviews so far in local forums.

Looks like the way to go for me.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm located in Australia where the cleansweep is unavailable and the RF 360 models have been recently released at a very good price (AU$499 for the 360.1) and with very good reviews so far in local forums.

Looks like the way to go for me.
[/b]
The 360.2 is great. Tons of control.
Not to beat a dead horse but you DO NOT need a cleansweep or the like. The signal is dead flat. The guys at JL even told me it would be a waste of money, and I think they would know.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The 360.2 is great. Tons of control.
Not to beat a dead horse but you DO NOT need a cleansweep or the like. The signal is dead flat. The guys at JL even told me it would be a waste of money, and I think they would know.
[/b]
there is a sticky on this forum about the cleansweep. i agree with cherryspeed here to say that cleansweep is worthless for the bose. 360.1 or 360.2 would be awesome tho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just put a deposit on a Classic so it looks like a non bose now! The 360.1 it is :D. I would probably get a 360.2 for the extra bands of EQ but I got myself an Arc Audio MEQ-30 at a brilliant clearance price.

·
Registered
900 Posts
All I know is that my stock Bose system has the best tonal balance and stereo enviroment that I have had in any of my vehicles. The sound is good and the separation actually makes you feel like the sound is floating around you. The only thing that I wish is that it had more ass (read: power)!!! It does not have enough for windows-down cruising. 200 watts just does not cut it. I will be upgrading to some better componant speakers eventually (I'm in the car business. While Bose systems are well engineered, I have found that the speakers used in their OE applications leaves alot to be desired.). i'm also installing some Dynamat in the rear deck and doors. This may help a bit.

Great post! I especially enjoyed the link that DaveRulz put in.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
All I know is that my stock Bose system has the best tonal balance and stereo enviroment that I have had in any of my vehicles. The sound is good and the separation actually makes you feel like the sound is floating around you. The only thing that I wish is that it had more ass (read: power)!!! It does not have enough for windows-down cruising. 200 watts just does not cut it. I will be upgrading to some better componant speakers eventually (I'm in the car business. While Bose systems are well engineered, I have found that the speakers used in their OE applications leaves alot to be desired.). i'm also installing some Dynamat in the rear deck and doors. This may help a bit.

Great post! I especially enjoyed the link that DaveRulz put in.
[/b]
heres the best thing to do without breaking apart your system. replace your rears with 4ohm coaxials. this will diminish the rear imaging, so you'll have to fade to the rear. by doing this, you'll be able to crank the volume up to 15 to get back to the balanced level of 10. the subwoofer will be louder because of this, yet the speaker volume will stay the same, and the clarity will be much better. you mind as well change out the fronts while you're at it because these speakers are terrible. i can't stress that enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts