Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a leak that is quickly escalating. It appears as if the water pump is leaking oil - which I know sounds crazy, and my mechanic treated me as such when I said so.

I brought the car in, and the guys cleaned the heck out of the engine. Then spent 45 minutes road testing it, let it idle for another 45 minutes, and let it sit for an hour. We couldn't find anything, so they put UV dye in the oil and had me come back a few days later.

The UV dye confirms it, there's an active oil leak that appears to be originating behind the water pump. We are trying to figure out what is back there that can leak, so we know what to do/buy/replace and can't find an expanded view.

Does anyone have an exploded/expanded view (diagram) or a picture of the engine block with the water pump out? I'd be very grateful and thank you in advance!

Here's what we were looking at, before degreasing everything. Not sure if it will be any use to anyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I agree with Smoke. Either the valve cover or the cam seal. Here's a pic with the valve cover removed:

Water pump is to the right in the pic.

CR

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
I agree with Smoke. Either the valve cover or the cam seal.
Speaking of the cam seal, CR do you know off hand if the cam needs to be removed to replace that seal? Mine is seeping slightly by the looks of it & ive thought about doing that when i tackle my VC gaskets soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for all the help everyone, sorry for the delay in my response. This is the insane time of year for my business, hence no time to love on the car or the forum :(

I probably should have noted in my original post that I did have my valve cover gaskets replaced (for probably the 6th time in the 110k I've put on it) when I had my spark plugs replaced. about 3 weeks prior to this leak becoming bad.

I have noticed what I suspected was coolant on the garage floor a couple of times in the last 2 months. Never more than a few drops, however it's right where this oil leak falls. We did perform a pressure test on the coolant system and it came out right in spec.

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot...what seal is the cam seal? The rear main? Thank you again.

Edit: I do suspect a slow seep at the front main seal, which I haven't serviced since putting the fluidampr on (100k ago). She does have 182k+ miles after all

·
Registered
859 Posts
If it's oil, then maybe it's the control valve seal. If it's coolant, then perhaps the plastic T-connector that everyone eventually breaks at one time or another. Although if the T breaks you'll have a ton of coolant on the floor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've replaced the T before, and did check it. I'll check in to that control valve seal. Thank you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
They leak oil and coolant from the same area. But the two fluid are probably not mixing in the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You too? I have a similar issue ('06 3L 138K miles). I noticed a burning smell sometimes at idle, e.g. which stopped at a light, or when parking. You never smell this when driving. I've never had to add much coolant or oil. Lately, the coolant usage has gone up and I have drips on the floor.

From the top side, I could not see anything. From under the car and using a UV light, I can see coolant near the water pump. The water pump was replaced last year (or the year before, have to check my notes). The coolant T was replace when the pump was replaced. The T appears to be in good condition. There was quite a bit of grime, so I've wiped everything down and will check again.

I've added some UV dye to the oil as well and will check again.

I suspect the burning smell comes from the coolant/oil dripping onto the front exhaust manifold/cat assembly. So when not in motion, this becomes more apparent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts