Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 6s wagon 5MT
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like it's time to renew my front suspension as it's starting to sound like a Books song when I go over bumps and rough pavement. Larger irregularities in particular elicit a pretty harsh thud from the passenger side.

I see this Mevotech kit on RA and it seems like a pretty good way to renew everything in the front end. At 150k, with everything seemingly original, I'm sure it's all past its prime. At the very least, I can see that basically all the control arm bushings are cracked up and my swaybar links are a little loose.

Wondering if anyone has experince with this set, or one similar. I know sometimes aftermarket bushings can be hit-or-miss, and we all know cheap rubber can cause a whole host of issues in life.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I bought just the lower controls arms and it fixed any noises i had. For that price it doesnt seem too bad.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,625 Posts
Seems like it's time to renew my front suspension as it's starting to sound like a Books song when I go over bumps and rough pavement. Larger irregularities in particular elicit a pretty harsh thud from the passenger side.

I see this Mevotech kit on RA and it seems like a pretty good way to renew everything in the front end. At 150k, with everything seemingly original, I'm sure it's all past its prime. At the very least, I can see that basically all the control arm bushings are cracked up and my swaybar links are a little loose.

Wondering if anyone has experince with this set, or one similar. I know sometimes aftermarket bushings can be hit-or-miss, and we all know cheap rubber can cause a whole host of issues in life.
I have had better luck with the Mevotech than the Moog or ACDelco Professional. I just received (today) my Mevotech front lower rear to replace my last ACDelco failure.

·
Registered
2005 6s wagon 5MT
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had better luck with the Mevotech than the Moog or ACDelco Professional. I just received (today) my Mevotech lower rear to replace my last ACDelco failure.
Good to know, I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this set.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,625 Posts
Good to know, I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this set.
You won't be disappointed. Be super anal about torquing at ride height. I lowered my car 20mm and did not reset the bushing on the driver side as a test and guess what, they tore. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️
So 20mm matters, some of you will likely say duh... well.... duh away. 🤣

·
Registered
2005 6s wagon 5MT
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't be disappointed. Be super anal about torquing at ride height. I lowered my car 20mm and did not reset the bushing on the driver side as a test and guess what, they tore. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️
So 20mm matters, some of you will likely say duh... well.... duh away. 🤣
I would probably be a little slack on this but after reading of your tribulations, I'll be sure I'm at ride height when torquing.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,625 Posts
I would probably be a little slack on this but after reading of your tribulations, I'll be sure I'm at ride height when torquing.
Excellent. I now attach the bottom of the strut wishbone after everything is torqued to height. I can't ever compress the spring enough with the front end in the air to get the correct hub center to wheel arch distance with it attached. It just lifts the car off the stands and leaves me a little short. I then torque the bottom wishbone when it is sitting on the ground. YMMV
You are going to fall in love with that car all over again.
And not following every line and groove in the road is also nice.
Make sure you have a nice heavy lubricant in the telescoping steering splines (I use Energy Suspension Formula 5) and you will be totally clunk free.

·
Registered
2005 6s wagon 5MT
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent. I now attach the bottom of the strut wishbone after everything is torqued to height. I can't ever compress the spring enough with the front end in the air to get the correct hub center to wheel arch distance with it attached. It just lifts the car off the stands and leaves me a little short. I then torque the bottom wishbone when it is sitting on the ground. YMMV
You are going to fall in love with that car all over again. Make sure you have a nice heavy lubricant in the telescoping steering splines (I use Formula 5000) and you will be totally clunk free.
Looking forward to it. I don't know this car without worn out front suspension. I re-greased those steering column splines right after I got the car but it may be about time to do it again. That clunk is the most irritating thing in the world.

·
Registered
2005 6s wagon 5MT
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got four wheels on the ground after installing this Mevotech kit. I'll wait until I get an alignment to fully judge but I have to say it rides wayy better. Life has a funny way of pushing things like this to the back burner, so the car had been in the garage on stands for a couple of months. I tend to drive my CRX when the weather is nice anyway, especially these days with fuel costs as they are. Nice to have the 6 back in action though.

Some moments of frustration in getting it together:

On 03-05 V6 cars the mounting bolt for the front lower control arm on the passenger side is blocked by the catalytic converter. It might be due to my aftermarket cats and their slightly off-kilter fitment, but I could not get enough clearance by lowering the subframe down, even going deep into sketch territory with it hanging low and pulling with a prybar. Wound up taking the engine mount off and raising the engine juust enough to sneak the bolt out.

Also realized I needed a wheel bearing on the driver side. Purchased a new bearing, hub, and rented a bearing press from the parts store. After a lot of grunting and cursing in my driveway I had the new parts installed, only to realize I forgot the snap ring. I've now done two wheel bearing replacements.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ignatius Reilly, old post, but can I can tell you that the cat is in the way for me as well. Did you use 2 jacks - one holding up the engine and one preventing the subframe from pulling too far down? Are the exhaust gaskets 1x only cuz I am considering pulling mine apart to move the lower cat out of the way.
Any one else have input?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts