Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't drive my car during the week and it will sit parked for 3 or 4 days in a row. I am nervous reading about all these axles and it got me thinking something is wrong.

Every time after it has been sitting for a couple days as soon as I engage the clutch (forward or reverse, doesn't matter) and the car starts to move there is a pretty significant clunk noise. But, if I am driving the car often it wont happen, only after it has been sitting for a while. I was attributing it to rust or something on the brake rotors but now I am wondering if it is something with my axle? Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks - Kyran

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yep, I have the same issue. I believe (or rather hope) it's the rear brake pads adhering to the rotors. I usually notice this on days when it is or has rained.

When I went to test drive the car at the dealer, I could not get the car to move...I thought the e-brake was still engaged. Revved it up more and let out the clutch, heard a loud "pop" and the car moved freely. Probably sat there for months without being moved before my test drive.

So, you are not alone. :yesnod:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually don't drive my car during the week and it will sit parked for 3 or 4 days in a row. I am nervous reading about all these axles and it got me thinking something is wrong.

Every time after it has been sitting for a couple days as soon as I engage the clutch (forward or reverse, doesn't matter) and the car starts to move there is a pretty significant clunk noise. But, if I am driving the car often it wont happen, only after it has been sitting for a while. I was attributing it to rust or something on the brake rotors but now I am wondering if it is something with my axle? Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks - Kyran
[/b]

Hi Kyran,
I strongly suspect what you're hearing is the brakes. Specifically, if the car sits, the pads will bond to the rotors as they lightly rust. When you start up, the clunk you hear is the rotors breaking free of the bond. Nothing to worry about! :drive:

My $.02

Comet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts