Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

Originally posted by kyler13
A..  It all comes down to the bottom line and not wanting to front money for warranty repairs.  That's the motivating factor behind denial of warranty.  

B..I'm sure plenty of people have stiffed the dealers with reversals (and caused them alot of troubleshooting time) but I don't think it's the motivating factor from corporate like you say.  I'm sure there's a push to minimize internal repair expenses, and seeing a mod on the car is a fast and convenient excuse to circumvent the whole process that should be protecting the consumer.  
C.. There's no reason why a dealer can't properly diagnose the problem and say: a) the problem was not due to the mod and is covered, or B) the problem WAS due to the mod and will not be covered.[/b]
A. Yes I agree, $ is the motivator, for both the dealer/mazda AND the consumer!
B. I dont believe a CAI or exhaust should void the warranty, but lets face it there are alot of racer wannabe's aout there that throw on a CAI and think they're paul walker, and to cover their tracks they make the car "look stock" b4 taking it in...when it was abuse that broke it. why should mazda pay for that? Its the idiots that ruined it for the rest of us is what I'm trying to say
c. Your absolutely right, the dealer should be able to make that distinction, but thats hard to do if everything keeps getting swapped b4 the vehicle gets there.

I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, but because of past events dealers are looking closer, and lets face it its easier for them to deny a claim then fix something. If you want to modify your car be my guest, I prolly will too at some point, but I'm not going try to cheat my dealer when I do it. If you keep swapping things back and forth, you are adding to the problem. What I'm trying to get across here is that SEMA will not go to bat for you even though their website attempts to tell you what you can and cant do. Please note alot of these modifications will also come with a "off road use only" disclaimer, but your warranty states no "off road use" (that means drag strips and other tracks, not just mud) and that some dealers/companies will use any excuse possible to save $, If you touch your car be ready to fight for service...or talk to your dealer ahead of time to see where they stand. And if you do something to your car that breaks another item, fix it yourself, or prepare to pay out the nose! Ask the people that know what they are doing if they make mazda pay for their upgrades or mistakes Ex:
If your into stereos and you cook your alternator or battery? Wannabes take the crap out and go to the dealer to fix it. I would install a better battery (or additional capacitors/battery) and a higher output alternator
Drag Racing: wannabes complain there trannys/clutch/cv joints are broke and plead ignorance, real racers install a heavy duty components to compensate for wear and tear
Lowering Springs/Bigger wheels: If youre a poser, you put em on just to be cool, if a shock goes (or any other suspension component) they take it in wanting a replacement, if you really did it for the handling advantages, you're looking at upgraded shocks (or other components) to compliment the rest of the upgrades.
So...should simple bolt ons void the warranty, absolutely not, but because of the dishonest ppl out there we now have to be very careful what we do...I choose the moral high ground, what you do is up to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Airbox mod won't mess with the warranty will it?
I mean, the tuba was there for a reason right? Meby would *they* be justified in saying that maybe that could be the problem [if one were to arise]?
Another thing about airbox mod - I been reading up on it, sound and perhaps tiny hps, recommend? I like the smell of a free mod :cool
-Keith

·
Registered
50 Posts

Originally posted by chikoo

Turbo Matty.
I have a golden rule for Modifications.

Always revert back to original equipment when taking it for a warranty claim.  

THAT is very sound advice there...however you don't need to as it was pointed out so long as the modification does not directly harm the car or cause the problem BUT if in doubt, change it back.

I know GM people who swap their chips in their cars back before going in for a cat. problem which was a problem in corvettes (I can't remember the year), the ceramics inside would crumble, in that example the doubt of higher performance i.e. heat from the exhaust "may" cause premature wear. Others didn't but from what I heard they had no problems as it was a recall or TSB or Federal EMI problem....again I don't remember. This is just an example and not a bonified thing I can say happened just that way.

Let us say you went in for a siezed engine...the dealer pulled the car into the shop and this I've seen many a time, you were lax on oil changes, had the ole' jiffy lube filter on it, the cam was covered in sludge, the ports were clogged, the lifters just caked....right off the bat without mod or not there will be pictures taken and you'll be asked for complete oil change records and you better have them all or at least most.

Senario two, same problem, mazda filter, dealer serviced, and K + S or the like cold air intake...and it has been checked over by the dealer, what can be said, NOTHING.

Same thing in example 3 with a bit more tweaking the addition of an el cheapo eBay cold air simulation bypass chip, I hope you know what I mean.....IFFY, that I would take off .... More and more the OBD II will register errors when engine lights come on so I don't PERSONALLY like those cheap ones anyway except on maybe an old MX-6 GT or something before OBD II. If I were inclined to go that way I'd spend the money and do it the way it was meant to be done.

Like the supercharger but crossbow, can you do that??? I know the 2.5L can accomodate the supercharger, the problem with our engine is the space in the compartment. If there is a spot in the boards for this, I have not seen it. Duratec along with VVT and supercharging IMO might not be a good idea...

I'm waiting on the Injen to be perfected....it is pretty darn cold here so I have natural cold air feed for now. I'm headed over to the modifications section to go find some stuff, I got plenty of good points from the gifts I got the wife :)

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate.....

bobmazda

P.S. anyone get any mods for Xmas??? and anyone got a link for an upload for a good pic of a redfire Mazda 6? Mine is filthy, it is snowing and snowed last night while we were out and the salt is all over it(again).

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

bobmazda,

There are already companies R+D'in both superchargers AND turbo's for the 3.0L V6 Mazda6s.

Engine space is not a problem, there is a crapload of it :). Hell they fit twin turbos in a 350Z 3.5L Nissan, and thats got a hella of a lot less room then the 6s does.

Just takes money.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Has anyone ever tried to take the service manager or whoever denied warranty work to small claims court? It would not cost much and I believe, in CA at least, you can sue for up to $2500 or $5000, cant remember exactly. No lawyers are allowed inside the court to help defend either party so its basically you vs. the service manager. I would think if you kept very good service records and could show the judge your knowledge of mods and whatnot, you might have a chance at proving something like a CAI did not blow the engine...

·
Registered
3,671 Posts

My dealer told me it was just fine to install my AEM CAI. They even gave me something in writing. Maybe if you guys bothered to talk to your dealer BEFORE modding your car, you might get their approval first.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I asked a dealer about putting in a CAI and exhaust. The head mazda tech there actually told me to figure out what i wanted and they would try and get it for me for less than what it cost at retail, and install it under warranty.

I was very suprised...i didnt even buy the car at that dealership (I have bought 3 other cars there though)...when im ready i think i will have them do the work just so that if something goes wrong i have something in writing that shows they did the work and cant deny me a warranty repair.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

hmm...i know in this day an age, i am allmost petrified messin' with anything under the hood. just to aovid possibly voiding my warranty, i think i'll just stick to the clear taillights, and maybe a sport grill. seems like an easy way to avoid the hassle. i know, how friggen boring. but makes warranty issues null. and anyways, i think in stock mode the 6 halls some pretty serious ass.....am i off on that one?

·
Registered
698 Posts

pbsst...you know you want a CAI...come on its eating you inside... :)

Just kidding, heck if you are willing to wait MazdaSpeed is coming out with performance parts like CAI and exhaust sometime and the Earnhardt Dealership up in Mesa I think is Mazdaspeed certified. Certified Mazdaspeed parts won't void warrantee if installed with certain conditions.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

hmm....i might go that way. just not into voiding a warranty i paid so dearly for. hehe.

btw- my car came from earnhardts, and talk about top notch service! wow!!! AA++ :hoho

·
Registered
698 Posts

I was seriously considering going up there and buying my mazda at Earnhardts because i heard so much about them. Plus they are Mazdaspeed certified. Ended up with Jim Click in Tucson though because didn't feel like driving up there and S-plan evened out the playing field anyways.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Reading Topic: Does a Modification Void My Warranty?

Chikoo, you are having a problem with your misfire? I had the same problem. Mazda has a mod out for it now. I had if done about 2 weeks ago. At first they didn't want to do it but I told them I wanted them to fix it just not get rid of it for awhile so they flashed my comp and put it on. Check it out at your dealer to get it.

S

·
0 Posts

I just subscribed to the list last night, so please forgive me I do something wrong (yes, I read the FAQ).

My past includes 14 years in the automotive industry...mechanic, fleet mgr, asst.service mgr. Caveat, I've been out of the business for 12 years, so stuff may have changed.

That being said:

Cardinal Rules I have learned...

1.) If car is under warranty, NEVER modify something you can't put back. Dealerships (all) will freak.

2.) if #1 is not available, talk to the dealership BEFORE you make the mod. Some may work with you, most will not. If you go through them and let them install it, and they appprove it, they have to back it up. But this needs to be negotiated with said dealer
YMMV)

3.)AFA Mazda is concerned, the way I read the manual, they will warranty ONLY Mazda factory parts installed by the dealer (i.e exhaust mods, etc - BUT only if you purchased them from Mazda and they installed it) Correct me if I'm wrong, please :)

4.) The reason I WON'T buy another GM car - 98 Malibu :-( (Don't flame me on this one). Front rotors kept warping, even after the brake fix (duh). They wouldn't touch it, said I needed to contact the Regional Mgr. After I explained my previous experience ( see above resume) was pretty much told to ESAD. Short and skinny, sold Malibu, bout Tauras SES 24V. Saw brake problems, they fixed it.

Side Note: When I wrote service, we fixed the customer and THEN had to deal with the manufacturer.

Sorry for the long post. The short and skinny is you're getting screwed by you current dealer, but you kinda screwed up too. Try finding another dealer and talk to them and see what they have to say. Last step would be to contact the CSR listed in the manual and set up arbitration. This step will vary by state. You may also have other state resources, depending on what state you live in.

Hope this helps you out.. I'm an interested party. Please keep me posted as to how things go

Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts

After reading your thread, I called up 4 major Mazda dealers around Twin Cities. All of them unanimously confirmed the following: "if your aftermarket part causes the damage, repairs (caused by mod) & CEL scans will not be covered by the warranty" In othet words, they don't give a ...., they'll do a repair as long as they are paid by Mazda. That's where the warranty issue comes in. :(
Also, none of these dealers knew anything about ( Mazda 6) mazdaspeed/performance parts being available or getting to their shelves any time soon.

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by nautec@May 3 2004, 02:56 AM
pbsst...you know you want a CAI...come on its eating you inside... :)
Just kidding, heck if you are willing to wait MazdaSpeed is coming out with performance parts like CAI and exhaust sometime and the Earnhardt Dealership up in Mesa I think is Mazdaspeed certified.  Certified Mazdaspeed parts won't void warrantee if installed with certain conditions.
[snapback]258825[/snapback]​

lmfao.. that dancin hippo or whatever the hell its supposed to be has got to be the most entertaining icon (if u will) i ever seen..

on another note, thanks for everybody voicing their knowledge of aftermarket parts and warranty info. i just bought the 6s, still has under 900 miles on it and was lookin to add the CAI and exhaust to it. tho i'm not big into these 'fast and furious' 20 yr old kids tryin to impress whoever it is they need to impress, i am into the upgrading of the performance of the car (which it seems that just about all of us are). Once again, thanks for all the info

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put on pedal covers on my '04 Forenza(piece of shit) and one day the pedal got stuck halfway. My tail lights wouldnt go off but i could drive fine. I inspected the pedal and noticed that if i pulled back the tail lights would go off. I take it in to the dealer and they claim that the cover ruined the pedal and such by hitting the floorboard over and over. I got news for them: THE PEDAL/PEDAL COVER NEVER TOUCHES THE GROUND! But anyway, my mother bought the BS and paid 200 bucks for a fix. Needless to say she was pissed, and I was pissed at her for taking their BS. BTW I love warranties if you couldnt tell :sarc

21 - 40 of 149 Posts
About this Discussion
148 Replies
107 Participants
idrive
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing